Before i lose my sanity.

Musovski

Soft Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alrighty, first let me start by saying i never thought id make a nano. but heres is my vision.

Im making an order list of what i want for this tank. heres the list

10g Nuvo
Radion xr15
50w jager heater

I know some list, huh? lol

Now my plan for this tank is to make it a sps only tank. Before yall say im stupid, hear me out!

I had this crazy dream that i had this small biocube with sps only. so i decided to just full send and do it.
Now i just need some help.

What do i need to run this as a sps tank?

what do i run in the back chamber?
Skimmer?
Reactor or dose?
Sandbed (DSB) or no sandbed?
Flow?
Turnover rate?

Let me hear it, i want to make this happen!

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATO, doser, bare bottom, heavy flow. Strong lights as you mentioned. I would not use any filtration except small weekly water changes. Better yet, small, automated, daily water changes. Let everything feed the coral. For fish I would do something like all damsels. Small and active just to feed poop to the corals.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep, i also said full send. sooooooo might as well do no budget.
The xr 15 was a hint you want to make this thing super legit haha.
Doser I recommend bm-T11.

Turnover maybe like a sicce syncra 100-200 gph something. I’m not totally sure on that.

OP
OP
Musovski

Musovski

Soft Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The xr 15 was a hint you want to make this thing super legit haha.
Doser I recommend bm-T11.

Turnover maybe like a sicce syncra 100-200 gph something. I’m not totally sure on that.
im up for the challenge. im most likely going to order the tank, lights and all within 2 weeks or so. and have it cycle while i figure out what to do to make it at stable as possible.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im up for the challenge. im most likely going to order the tank, lights and all within 2 weeks or so. and have it cycle while i figure out what to do to make it at stable as possible.
It sounds awesome! I’m excited to see it all! Kinda makes me want to do something similar sometime soon lol. 10gal sps growout sounds fun

OP
OP
Musovski

Musovski

Soft Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds awesome! I’m excited to see it all! Kinda makes me want to do something similar sometime soon lol. 10gal sps growout sounds fun
honestly, always liked sps. the problem was when i was making my current tank i still worked at home depot for minimum wage so i went cheap. the lesson learned was that the cheap way was still the same price as a "expensive way" for the tank. then my dosing pump malfunctioned and well.... rip to whatever life form i had in the tank.

sometimes expensive isnt better but im pretty sure better build quality will reduce risk of cheap parts messing up.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
honestly, always liked sps. the problem was when i was making my current tank i still worked at home depot for minimum wage so i went cheap. the lesson learned was that the cheap way was still the same price as a "expensive way" for the tank. then my dosing pump malfunctioned and well.... rip to whatever life form i had in the tank.

sometimes expensive isnt better but im pretty sure better build quality will reduce risk of cheap parts messing up.
I learned that with my first tank as well. Essentially bought 3 of everything in that tank, everything kept breaking, or leds go out in cheaper led fixtures, or don’t have warranties. Lots of lessons learned.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an all SPS 20g. Seems to be going good most days. I did bare bottom with a maxspect gyre and nanobox t5 hybrid. I had sand but the pumps just blew it around even though it was larger grain. I have an Apex on it which keeps the heater within 0.5 degrees and hand dose right now but will hook up the brs dosers I have some day. ATO using apex breakout box with two floats in case one fails.

Filtration I just use disposible filter floss...rox carbon mixed with a little purigen and a CAD skimmer. They have some pretty bad butt nano skimmers these days. I don't particularly find them to be a waste but I do have 5 fish and feed heavily.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think you might save yourself some trouble if you keep the hood. Almost no evap if you do. Steve's LEDs!!! @cromag27 uses this exact tank. Keep it simple!

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say go AWC with a high alk salt. Should be able to keep up with demand for a while. Set up the AWC to maintain alk, aka, increase amount of water changed per day to keep alk stable.

You could use say, Red Sea blue bucket to set up the tank and for emergency water changes, then use the black bucket for your AWC. Blue bucket mixes at 400 Ca and 8.0 alk. Black bucket is around 460 and 12.0.

For skimmers and reactors, it's all a waste of money on a nano(under 30 gallons). Just do water changes. The one thing I would recommend is bio media in the back. I'm going to use the Brightwell xport 1.5" blocks seeded with Microbacter7 on my IM Abyss drop off I'm setting up.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 13 8.8%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 42 28.6%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 70 47.6%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back