Beginner Coral reccommendations

Always Be Reefin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to World Wide Corals this Black Friday for their sale with the hopes of getting a lot of coral into my tank.

In struggling with what to put at the top of this branch. Originally I was hoping for leptoseris, but I read it needed to be towards the bottom 1/3 of the tank so I may instead put it in the lower branch. Hoping people could give me some suggestions.

Plan for the tank is mixed reef. Plenty if lps and softies with some low demand sps mixed in

aviary-image-1700491747523.jpeg

tomtheturkey

Reef Wizard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to World Wide Corals this Black Friday for their sale with the hopes of getting a lot of coral into my tank.

In struggling with what to put at the top of this branch. Originally I was hoping for leptoseris, but I read it needed to be towards the bottom 1/3 of the tank so I may instead put it in the lower branch. Hoping people could give me some suggestions.

Plan for the tank is mixed reef. Plenty if lps and softies with some low demand sps mixed in

They have a nice list here

OP
OP
A

Always Be Reefin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyway if you plan anything for the sides of the branch then duncan and turbinaria are great, low-moderare-high, versatile LPS
I think a monti cap would look cool there.
Turbinaria and Monti cap are both things I was interested in. I'm new to this so maybe you could have some suggestions. If I put those there, would I run into the problem that they would grow out and cause shading issues to all coral below them?

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turbinaria and Monti cap are both things I was interested in. I'm new to this so maybe you could have some suggestions. If I put those there, would I run into the problem that they would grow out and cause shading issues to all coral below them?
In theory yes, however you can keep low light corals below and turbunaria (as most LPS) are slow growers

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There could be but you can trim the coral. Otherwise an encrusting instead of plating montipora might be a better choice.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 45 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back