Beginner corals - loved today, hated tomorrow?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Star polyps of any kind!

Blue star polyps was my favorite coral starting out, 2 years later i was ripping the rocks out of my biocube to nuke that carp to the moon. It spreads everywhere, and it grows so fast it will strangle out any other coral it comes in contact with.

TVV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m with green palys. How do you kill this stuff? Xenia was on a piece of live rock I seeded my tank with years ago. My PBT hates Xenia too so he trims it back for me. I love that silly tang gang
I shot aiptasia away into each polyp of a 4 inch colony with all circulation off for 15 min. I had 3 sessions of this and finally killed them all. It had no ill affects on anything else in the overstocked mixed reef tank.

TVV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hatred in the following order:

1. greenish brown hitchhiker paly's
2. kenya trees
3. blue star polyps - cool and beautiful if it would not spread all over the tank, I would like them
4. xenia and pulsing xenia - I still have and like them but they reproduce too fast and shade out other corals.
5. hollywood stunner chalice
6. toadstool
7. pipe organ coral - grows to large too fast and shades out others in nano tank - on nearly endangered species list - better left to the ocean.

I have not had a GSP issue. I like it spreading over the tank back.

MickeyCT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree on the paly's. Mine are more brownish but a nice green under actinics but the spread everywhere (and they can be toxic). I haven't found a way to kill them other than pulling them off one by one. A few years ago they were all over my tank and tank crashed (don't ask :rolleyes:). I took out all the rock that had the palys on them and put out on the deck in the sun for more than a week, then scrubbed and put back in my tank. Few weeks later I saw a few pop-up. BUT I didn't pull them out at that time and now I have them in a few places and partially coating my overflow. You would think I learned my lesson the first time.;Spitoutdummy

Greg61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my GSP, but I can see it will become a problem in time. I have a clove polyp that is spreading into my zoa garden area that is giving me fits. I am pulling pieces off but within the week it has grown back. I hate it but I love it. Kinda like all my relationships :rolleyes:

lolmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think some folks in here are confusing blue star polyps and blue sympodium. They're not the same, the latter grows much slower and doesn't detach its polyps so they can blow around and attach next to your sps.

TVV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Sorry for the laymen misslabelling. Still hate them though.

Deaf clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dude, if you "hate those", give em all to me!!! XD I love almost all of the ones you listed :eek:
I would be glad to give you what ever Hollywood stunner, red mushrooms, and Xenia’s I can’t get rid off!! only thing is I don’t (have never) ship corals.

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The usual suspects are GSP, xenia, kenya tree, anthelia, and blue sympodium. But if GSP and xenia are placed on its own rock surrounded by sand it should keep it from spreading. blue sympodium spreads and grows everywhere but doesn't sting other corals. So if you wait until your tank is full of coral and use it to fill in the bare spots it shouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't even put kenya tree or anthelia in my tank because pieces break off and will float around your tank and take hold anywhere and everywhere. Another less obvious is green pocillopora coral. it's been known to break off and start growing everywhere.
I tried it with GSP and it doesn’t work. It’ll grow off the rock and across the sand. Mine now resides in many pieces on my back glass.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pocillopora. It's really pretty, but when stressed it will bail out its' polyps and send them all over the tank to take hold and grow. And it can sting other corals :(

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be glad to give you what ever Hollywood stunner, red mushrooms, and Xenia’s I can’t get rid off!! only thing is I don’t (have never) ship corals.

Man, wish you were closer to me! if you ever want to learn how to ship and do a test run with me hit me up! XD

Steve McGlamery

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which corals are the usual suspects for beginners that i’ll regret tomorrow. GSP is obvious. But which others should I avoid that will eventually take over?

Thank you!
Hollywood stunner chalice. Wished I never put that coral into my tank, it stings everything within its reach.

Fishboyz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why so much hate og GSP? I love the stuff! Adds a good amount of movement to a tank.
20190801_124051.jpg
20190801_124043.jpg
20190822_012543.jpg

Apotack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a local reefer who used "F Aiptasia" on his mushrooms and it took them out. You may want to check out that thread. Sorry, didn't think to save it. If you'd like I can look it up and find it for you. If not, search Franks tanks on Google and you'll find it.
Thanks I’ll check it out

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green Rhodactis Mushroom, I bought a single head frag last fall and now I have hundreds all over. Now nothing green is allowed in my tank lol

Joedubyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone has one of those beginner "Homewrecker Acro's", I'll take it...

Heres my colony, just bring the check book lol....

To answer the question...... random zoas.. candy cane coral... blastos.... Im not a fan of acans...most softies.

hw.jpg

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back