Beginner hobbyist looking for help

YHyperBull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! i have become enthralled with the idea of a saltwater coral tank for quite some time now. What i need help with is if 10 gallons is a good enough size tank to start with as well as help identifying corals that can do well in this size of tank. thank you for your time reading this and ill be super glad to here from you all!

SpaceInvader98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! i have become enthralled with the idea of a saltwater coral tank for quite some time now. What i need help with is if 10 gallons is a good enough size tank to start with as well as help identifying corals that can do well in this size of tank. thank you for your time reading this and ill be super glad to here from you all!
You can start with a 10g tank but it will be hard for you to keep all parameters stable because the tank has small volume which means it gets dirty quickly everything changes quickly. Think of it as a cup of water if you spill 1 drop of ink in it the whole water turns blue. But if you drop it in a big container it won't get effected much. I started with a 20g 4 months ago and I'm really happy with it so if you're ready go for it but if you can make it a 30g it would be better. For corals you have a lot of options. Obviously you should start with easy stuff like zoanthids, gsp, leathers and plays.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with above, I would go with the biggest you can either fit or afford. The main reason is stability, the bigger the tank the more forgiving the tank can be in the long run. That's not to say that a smaller tank can not be enjoyable, they are just less forgiving. Either way, welcome to R2R and the salty addiction.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and Welcome.
It is great you want to become a crazy hobbyist as we all are. Do lots of research and ask lots of questions.

A 10g is doable, but it would be better to start with slightly larger to give a bit of wiggle room for parameters as stated above. I began with a 28g All In One from JBL. I upgraded after two and a half years, but it was a nice way to learn the hobby and continue to research.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the above statements on stability. However, if you are willing to do frequent water changes such as a gallon twice a week, you should be able to keep some of the easier corals along with a small fish or two.

OP
OP
YHyperBull

YHyperBull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can start with a 10g tank but it will be hard for you to keep all parameters stable because the tank has small volume which means it gets dirty quickly everything changes quickly. Think of it as a cup of water if you spill 1 drop of ink in it the whole water turns blue. But if you drop it in a big container it won't get effected much. I started with a 20g 4 months ago and I'm really happy with it so if you're ready go for it but if you can make it a 30g it would be better. For corals you have a lot of options. Obviously you should start with easy stuff like zoanthids, gsp, leathers and plays.
Thank you so much this really helped. I originally thought of using my 10g i had for a beta fish that unfortunately passed and was seeing if i could re purpose it. I will most likely be shooting for a 20g to 30g then, and as for the 10g, i'll probably get another beta :)

OP
OP
YHyperBull

YHyperBull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you by any chance have any links to any tanks? if you don't I completely understand i'm just wondering lol

SpaceInvader98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much this really helped. I originally though of using my 10g i had for a beta fish that unfortunately passed and was seeing if i could re purpose it. I will most likely be shooting for a 20g to 30g then, and as for the 10g, i'll probably get another beta :)
If you change your mind about getting a beta again, you can use the 10g as a quarantine tank, corals can come with a lot of pests with them so quarantine is always a good option after putting them in the display tank :). Are you thinking of getting any fish or just corals?

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, welcome to the club! 10 gallons is fine to start with if you're doing a nano system. Just requires a bit more attention to keep things in line. I have a 13.5g fluval evo. I have made modifications to the prebuilt system. You can get it for about 160-170 bucks on amazon. I added a power head for better flow through the tank. I got rid of the stock lighting canopy and run 2 kessil a80 tuna blue lights with a lighting controller. I also added a protein skimmer. I took out the factory foam pad for filtration because it is a nitrate factory and replaced it with 3 tiered media basket from intank systems. I now run a piece of filter floss on the bottom export bio cubes in the middle and a carbon bag on the top. For fish, I have 2 green chromis and a fire fish. I have 3 zoanthid corals, 1 purple torch, 1 red montipora capriconis. I also have a purple long tentacle anemone, 1 derasa clam, and 1 fire shrimp. I have about 12 hermit crabs, 3 trochus snails and 3 turbo snails. I also have a diamond watchmen goby to keep the sand bed turned over. I have about 10 pounds of rock in the tank as well.

20200223_194807.jpg 20200223_194250.jpg 20200223_182653.jpg 20200219_163955.jpg 20200126_110339.jpg 20200201_134733.jpg 20190727_195516.jpg

OP
OP
YHyperBull

YHyperBull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you change your mind about getting a beta again, you can use the 10g as a quarantine tank, corals can come with a lot of pests with them so quarantine is always a good option after putting them in the display tank :). Are you thinking of getting any fish or just corals?
That is an amazing idea! i am looking to get fish as well and im in the process of doing research to what types of fish are best suited for types of coral.

zapbap99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree I believe 10 gallon can succeed very well, just maintain it and you are fine, water changes often help a lot. Of course get bigger if you can because then you aren't as limited to amount of corals and fish etc.

OP
OP
YHyperBull

YHyperBull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, welcome to the club! 10 gallons is fine to start with if you're doing a nano system. Just requires a bit more attention to keep things in line. I have a 13.5g fluval evo. I have made modifications to the prebuilt system. You can get it for about 160-170 bucks on amazon. I added a power head for better flow through the tank. I got rid of the stock lighting canopy and run 2 kessil a80 tuna blue lights with a lighting controller. I also added a protein skimmer. I took out the factory foam pad for filtration because it is a nitrate factory and replaced it with 3 tiered media basket from intank systems. I now run a piece of filter floss on the bottom export bio cubes in the middle and a carbon bag on the top. For fish, I have 2 green chromis and a fire fish. I have 3 zoanthid corals, 1 purple torch, 1 red montipora capriconis. I also have a purple long tentacle anemone, 1 derasa clam, and 1 fire shrimp. I have about 12 hermit crabs, 3 trochus snails and 3 turbo snails. I also have a diamond watchmen goby to keep the sand bed turned over. I have about 10 pounds of rock in the tank as well.

20200223_194807.jpg 20200223_194250.jpg 20200223_182653.jpg 20200219_163955.jpg 20200126_110339.jpg 20200201_134733.jpg 20190727_195516.jpg
That is really awesome! thank you for sharing photos! im looking to just dip my foot in so to speak into this hobby so i feel the stability that goes with a bigger tank would be beneficial to me... who knows what tanks i end up with lol

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is really awesome! thank you for sharing photos! im looking to just dip my foot in so to speak into this hobby so i feel the stability that goes with a bigger tank would be beneficial to me... who knows what tanks i end up with lol
This is my sons tank. We are getting ready to build a 320 gallon system here soon.

SpaceInvader98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you by any chance have any links to any tanks? if you don't I completely understand i'm just wondering lol
You
honestly if you want to save money you can buy products separately. Find the best 30 gallon tank, usually the place I'm from they cost like 80-100$ a little wavemaker 15-25$, a hangon protien skimmer around 50-70$ a good 100 watt heater, and its better to get good lights from the start, but normal leds would work because you're gonna keep easy corals that don't demand as much light as others like sps. You need live sand and some live rock which would be around 80$ together. So around 275$ but that's without the rodi unit and all that stuff. Are you gonna get salt water from your local fish store?

Arthacker87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have all in one set ups as well. Come with PC lights filters return etc. All in one system. Is it nano cubes? I can't remember the brand names

OP
OP
YHyperBull

YHyperBull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You

honestly if you want to save money you can buy products separately. Find the best 30 gallon tank, usually the place I'm from they cost like 80-100$ a little wavemaker 15-25$, a hangon protien skimmer around 50-70$ a good 100 watt heater, and its better to get good lights from the start, but normal leds would work because you're gonna keep easy corals that don't demand as much light as others like sps. You need live sand and some live rock which would be around 80$ together. So around 275$ but that's without the rodi unit and all that stuff. Are you gonna get salt water from your local fish store?
i dont know where i will be getting salt water from. Would you recommend getting the water from the pet store? You have been super helpful and i am very thankful.

Back