Beginner in need of some direction in planning a first tank

Brian R Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
since you are in the planning stage, another thing you may want to do is take a step back and look at it from a system design viewpoint. what needs to happen? source water handling... RO/DI, water storage, mixing, transport to /from the tank (for water changes and top off).. granted this may seem like overkill for a 40g tank, but the system design concept is scalable, so when you find that 125G tank (or larger) on craigslist a year or 2 from now you will feel like a genius rockstar ;)

OP
OP
hfernelius

hfernelius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea. Do you have any practical tips or recommendations for rodi water production and storage?

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a 40g is a great place to start. I started with a 12g nanocube and built a 40g DIY setup over the last two years. I bought a 20g for the sump and made it myself. I drilled the tank bought a Glass Holes overflow and made the stand. DIY saves a lot of money (except for the stand, but the ones you make are better looking and more stable).

As far as equipment, you can economize to a point. I have an SCA-301 skimmer and a “Quiet One” return pump. Both are generic models of more expensive equipment and work great. You can buy dry rock and sand and save a bunch.

If you’re on a budget, you could always wait on coral and buy a controller now instead of lights. I’m starting mine with Fish only. I just added an Apex, Jr. and love it. You can always add lights later.

Check out my threads in my signature. Good luck!

Brian R Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RO/DI system you can get a water saver model from BRS, google water storage tanks and reef tank mixing stations, that will give you the general idea. But like I said, modular system design is going to lead to happiness. Source Water Treatment >> Life Support System >> Display System.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re on a budget, you could always wait on coral and buy a controller now instead of lights. I’m starting mine with Fish only.

Boo!!! Hold out on fish and the controller – get lights and coral instead!!!!!

:p

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back