• USA orbit marine lighting

• Go with T5

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tylerethridge11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll gladly admit that I am brand new to reefing. In fact, I've never owned any kind of fish tank (not even a bowel with beta fish!). But I've been spending hours and hours researching for my first setup. Any opinions would be great... For the tank I'm pretty set on an IM nuvo 40. I'm a woodworker as well so I will def be making a custom stand. For the lighting I'm still debating between an AI prime HD or a Kessil a160. I'd pick the kessil but price wise I could save some $$ with the AI. Is there anything else I should be looking at getting for the Nuvo 40 to help it out, extra powerhead, skimmer, etc? I'm also looking at getting the Nuvo 40 starter kit from BRS.

Thanks!
-Ty

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should checkout "CJ's aquariums" on youtube he had a 40 nuvo that was well set up and you might get some ideas for your tank based on his filtrations setup. If i were running an all in one i would definitely use the Prime mainly because i like that i can control all the color channels which can be a good and bad thing. Im not a fan of kessils mainly because of the lack of controllability but they are great lights and many people have had success with both. And definitely get an a power head of some sort..

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R first of all:)
I have a jbj 30 gal AIO, when I first set it up I purchased the kessil 160 tuna blue, should have listened to other members here who said go with the kessil 360W, ended up having both the 360 and 160 on it due to shadowing. I just purchased and set up the AI hydra 28 HD and absolutely love it. The bracket which is sold Seperate is so much cleaner looking than the goose necks I had for the kessils and the coverage is so much better. Of course this is just my opinion but you might want to check it out.

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 1 360w on IM40. I like the shimmer =)
The coverage area on 360 is 24". while 160 i only 18"
I wasted my $ on the gooseneck. The mount is much better imo.
I have the Ghost skimmer and no issues with it.
I added pp-4 too for more flow.

Last edited:

bc261

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're going to need 2 AI primes to get much growth.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run two Radion XR15 G4 on my nuvo 40. If out of your price range I'd go with the Kessils or AI.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're going to need 2 AI primes to get much growth.

I've seen this mentioned frequently but my single AI Prime has been great on my 40. Just be careful of your rockwork to avoid dark spots. But obviously this is R2R where this will quickly divulge into someone saying I'm an idiot and T5s are the only option.

I agree with what a previous poster said about CJs aquarium. Although he had a JBJ 45, it was a great channel (was because he upgraded to a bigger tank) and has helped me quite a bit figuring out maintenance, scaping and stocking. He had a gorgeous tank with well produced videos.

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Nuvo 40 and I run the Maxspect Ethreal with icv6 controller and love it. The spread is great no dark spots and the shimmer is awesome. Love the fact it comes with the controller and mounting bracket and I only run it at 60 percent any more I will bleach my acro and birdnest. Also if u plan on getting a skimmer I run the Tunze 9004 dc works awesome and no micro bubbles. Any question just ask and good luck with your build.

bc261

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen this mentioned frequently but my single AI Prime has been great on my 40. Just be careful of your rockwork to avoid dark spots. But obviously this is R2R where this will quickly divulge into someone saying I'm an idiot and T5s are the only option.

I agree with what a previous poster said about CJs aquarium. Although he had a JBJ 45, it was a great channel (was because he upgraded to a bigger tank) and has helped me quite a bit figuring out maintenance, scaping and stocking. He had a gorgeous tank with well produced videos.
You've seen it mentioned frquently for a reason. A single 40 will light up the whole tank, sure, but it's not ideal coverage. I set my 40 up for a week with only one of my primes before moving the second over.

The nice thing about them is you can readily find them used and you can always buy one, and a 2nd later depending on your needs.

I'll stick with my opinion that you're going to need 2. Lighting is not the place to skimp if you want long term success.

bc261

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Nuvo 40 and I run the Maxspect Ethreal with icv6 controller and love it. The spread is great no dark spots and the shimmer is awesome. Love the fact it comes with the controller and mounting bracket and I only run it at 60 percent any more I will bleach my acro and birdnest. Also if u plan on getting a skimmer I run the Tunze 9004 dc works awesome and no micro bubbles. Any question just ask and good luck with your build.
You do like the 9004? I've heard mixed things but it seems to be the best option overall. This is something I'm looking to purchase asap

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do like the 9004? I've heard mixed things but it seems to be the best option overall. This is something I'm looking to purchase asap
Yes I highly recommend it I spent the little extra money for the dc controllable one and love it has alway produce a nice foam head and nice skin mate the way they design it the intake pulls the film off the top of the water instead of pulling water from the bottom, so in other words you don't have that nasty film on top of the water. But the down side is the size it will only fit in the over flow (first chamber) but I will put that skimmer in over a filter sock any day

bc261

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I highly recommend it I spent the little extra money for the dc controllable one and love it has alway produce a nice foam head and nice skin mate the way they design it the intake pulls the film off the top of the water instead of pulling water from the bottom, so in other words you don't have that nasty film on top of the water. But the down side is the size it will only fit in the over flow (first chamber) but I will put that skimmer in over a filter sock any day
I wasn't sure the surface skimming would work being in the return xhamber, but I hate that film. Are there any issues of the water rising in the tank?

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will rise up alittle because it fills the first chamber but is fine. When placing in the first chamber you raise in off the bottom maybe a half inch and you can see the water flowing into the intake. It also has a water level line on the side so you know where to have the water level at. Also I have noticed that when I do my water change sometimes I forget to turn my ATO back on and the water level will drop but it does not effect the skimmer like some other one were of the water level is just a cm off it won't produce a foam head and or over flow the cup. I normally have to empty my cup every couple days.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Fusion 40 the same tank but without the rounded corners. The corners tended to crack and cause failures so they switched to a conventional corner design a few years ago. I set up the tank with Kessils then tried Radions. An I finally settled on Reefbrite MH/LED 150 watt 20k bulb. The tank size is hard to light as its not 24 inches wide and T5's are too wide. I had problems with shading of my SPS so that is why I went with the Reefbrite. I have been real happy with it and so have my corals. I also use the 9004 Tunze you have to mount it side ways in one of the overflow chambers to get it to work. I didn't get the DC model and really don't see the need for it as the 9004 will just fit into the chamber one way and its sits at the right height for the skimmer. I get a cup of skimmate a day out of it. I use a Profilux controller had have a maintenance mode that shuts off all the equipment and turns it back on during water changes. I am setting up auto water changes starting this week using a stenner dual head pump to remove a gallon of water each day from the tank. I like to automate a lot of task as I like to make sure that they are done and I don't put them off because I am too tired.:)

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've seen it mentioned frquently for a reason. A single 40 will light up the whole tank, sure, but it's not ideal coverage. I set my 40 up for a week with only one of my primes before moving the second over.

Glad you gave it time. For those of us that have actually given it time it's worked out nicely and our wallets thank us.

I'll stick with my opinion that you're going to need 2.

Good. I was concerned that I had accidentally swayed you.

bc261

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you gave it time. For those of us that have actually given it time it's worked out nicely and our wallets thank us.

How long have you had your light set up? According to your post history it looks like about 2 months. I can imagine you've had a great deal of time to test things to make sure it's worked out so well. Thanks for your input.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 66 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back