Beginner SPS

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking into getting sps coral I like the monti caps other then that im so new to them lol can anyone point me in the right direction of what would be the perfect easier sps to start with. Obviously birds nest green slimmer are there anymore ? And online coral sites to buy frm?

OP
OP
TxReefer21

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking into getting sps coral I like the monti caps other then that im so new to them lol can anyone point me in the right direction of what would be the perfect easier sps to start with. Obviously birds nest green slimmer are there anymore ? And online coral sites to buy frm?
I should say more dominant SPS coral sites. I know several that I’ve used but most don’t have a big selection of SPS and if they do they are ridiculously expensive

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red setosa one of my fav that I consider hardy and cheap.

Attachments

• F4F95CD0-EF8B-44EA-B3FE-5D042C0BE295.png
    F4F95CD0-EF8B-44EA-B3FE-5D042C0BE295.png
    567.7 KB · Views: 46

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Planet Acropora is an incredibly forgiving acro that has been around (the hobby) for a long time. Most frags will be AC
Also quite pretty, but its good to place this one further away from other acros/sps as it is a bit more aggressive.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TxReefer21

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Planet Acropora is an incredibly forgiving acro that has been around (the hobby) for a long time. Most frags will be AC
Also quite pretty, but its good to place this one further away from other acros/sps as it is a bit more aggressive.
Thank you I’ll look into them

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, pocillipora is very robust. It seems to sale through almost anything. Montipora is very robust too. In my experience, they are the toughest of the SPS. I find that birds nests grow really fast but if you have a fast shift in ALK concentration like greater than 1, it can deep six the birds nests.

Some acropora are pretty robust. Oddly enough, acropora can look dead for weeks and then claw their way back (or at least a seemingly dead part of them can).

I would suggest getting a variety of inexpensive and reputedly tough specimens and see how it goes.

But you need to have your conditions set up first. You want relatively low nutrient levels for nitrates and phosphates. You want high flow about 40 times or more. You want your lighting pretty bright and best to have it measured for PAR. And you want to be set up to maintain stable parameters: especially salinity and ALK,

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, pocillipora is very robust. It seems to sale through almost anything. Montipora is very robust too. In my experience, they are the toughest of the SPS. I find that birds nests grow really fast but if you have a fast shift in ALK concentration like greater than 1, it can deep six the birds nests.

Some acropora are pretty robust. Oddly enough, acropora can look dead for weeks and then claw their way back (or at least a seemingly dead part of them can).

I would suggest getting a variety of inexpensive and reputedly tough specimens and see how it goes.

But you need to have your conditions set up first. You want relatively low nutrient levels for nitrates and phosphates. You want high flow about 40 times or more. You want your lighting pretty bright and best to have it measured for PAR. And you want to be set up to maintain stable parameters: especially salinity and ALK,
The only way I've killed a pocillopora was to add a bi-color blenny that decided that polyps taste like candy :rolleyes: he hangs out with my clowns and nems now hahaha

OP
OP
TxReefer21

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I haven’t gotten to the point where I need to dose right now as my water changes take care of things and if I do see anything lower then usually I’ll do a dose of alk
Or cal. My prime 16hds sit about 8 - 10 I’m off water and run very a pretty high setting with a. 4-5 hour ramp time Salinity is always in check I’ll definitely being more observing when I decide to get sps coral. I’ve heard frog skins garfs palleta sps are generally pretty easy as well. We will see what happens. I gotta skimmer recently and it’s taking care of some things right now so once that all settles in and everything is more comfortable I’ll pull the trigger

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back