Beginner

Kbnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beginner with a 13.5g Fluval all in one Nano reef tank about 1 month in. At the turn back now and forget it stage. Set up the tank and tested the water at my fish store all ok. Lost a clown fish day 3....couple weeks later lost a chromie....yesterday trying 2 tiny blue and red leg hermit crabs and today the 1 isn't moving and can't find the other. We cannot figure out what is going on. Any ideas before I unplug it all? I just wanted a nice small tank with a couple fish and a few corals to look at. Thanks.

OP
OP
K

Kbnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Don’t give up. Post the water parameters. The fluval is nice to start with, I have one, but they need a little more work. Volume of water in this tank means the parameters can swing dramatically. Water changes are atleast once a week, if not multiple times a week. Over feeding is really easy to do, and will spike the ammonia if nitrifying bacteria isn’t fully colonized. Can also be a disease issue. Do you have algae growth?

Upvote 0

Ryan3313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5jn9mj.jpg

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Upvote 0

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beginner with a 13.5g Fluval all in one Nano reef tank about 1 month in. At the turn back now and forget it stage. Set up the tank and tested the water at my fish store all ok. Lost a clown fish day 3....couple weeks later lost a chromie....yesterday trying 2 tiny blue and red leg hermit crabs and today the 1 isn't moving and can't find the other. We cannot figure out what is going on. Any ideas before I unplug it all? I just wanted a nice small tank with a couple fish and a few corals to look at. Thanks.
Welcome

Sorry for your initial losses but glad it now seems to be working out. This hobby does try to test our BBA - Bounce Back Ability. Glad you joined

Upvote 0

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 54 25.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 53 24.7%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 52 24.2%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 52 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back