Beginner

Kbnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beginner with a 13.5g Fluval all in one Nano reef tank about 1 month in. At the turn back now and forget it stage. Set up the tank and tested the water at my fish store all ok. Lost a clown fish day 3....couple weeks later lost a chromie....yesterday trying 2 tiny blue and red leg hermit crabs and today the 1 isn't moving and can't find the other. We cannot figure out what is going on. Any ideas before I unplug it all? I just wanted a nice small tank with a couple fish and a few corals to look at. Thanks.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

What are your tank’s parameters and when did ammonia top out?

75AEEC35-709F-4485-A973-21B49A34DD15.gif

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!!! Don’t give up. But you have to successfully cycle the tank first and then you’re in the race. If your ammonias are high do a 5 gallon water change quickly. Purchase a test kit. Test for ammonia/ nitrite/ nitrates. The first two need to be zero. It’s real easy. Post your progress. :)

Upvote 0

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, the first big step, getting the tank cycled. Once you understand that process, testing keeps you informed.
There are many variables to this hobby, water parameters and their understanding is a huge foundation piece.
Good luck with your tank.
ZomboMeme 14052021195255.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

Kbnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!!! Don’t give up. But you have to successfully cycle the tank first and then you’re in the race. If your ammonias are high do a 5 gallon water change quickly. Purchase a test kit. Test for ammonia/ nitrite/ nitrates. The first two need to be zero. It’s real easy. Post your progress. :)
Thank you!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

Kbnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Upvote 0

thatone08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Don’t give up. Post the water parameters. The fluval is nice to start with, I have one, but they need a little more work. Volume of water in this tank means the parameters can swing dramatically. Water changes are atleast once a week, if not multiple times a week. Over feeding is really easy to do, and will spike the ammonia if nitrifying bacteria isn’t fully colonized. Can also be a disease issue. Do you have algae growth?

Upvote 0

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome,hope all is ok with yourself.
Good advice on given information on parameters like.
Temp
Salinity
Amnonia
Ph
Plus more if can.
Also how did you aclimintise them?
I float bag for 15 minutes to equalise temp.
Then as sometimes the lfs sg = 1.020 and mine is 1.026 thats a big difference so i drip accliminate them as if just dump them in could cause problems and did you put water from bag in also ?
As for hermits they molt often and go sort of dormant just before and after while their ecoskeloton hardens so sometimes just chill in one place but you will be able see them slightly moving in the shell.

Also did you qt or straight into dt?
If you quarantined bravo.if you didnt some even say bravo,different thoughts on what is best practice, this for you and only you to decide but if qt how did you do it.more information on what you did from buying the fish up until put in tank then did fish have any symptons like heavy breathing,gasping for air at top of tank,loss off apetite,swimming into power head,any spots/ marks on fish etc etc.
But no need to give up,just keep on keeping on and research as much as you can when you can to give you heads up if possible problems about to start in future,its a wonderful interesting hobby ^_^ so good luck

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

Kbnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Don’t give up. Post the water parameters. The fluval is nice to start with, I have one, but they need a little more work. Volume of water in this tank means the parameters can swing dramatically. Water changes are atleast once a week, if not multiple times a week. Over feeding is really easy to do, and will spike the ammonia if nitrifying bacteria isn’t fully colonized. Can also be a disease issue. Do you have algae growth?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

Kbnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Upvote 0
Back