OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Also once I start copper treatment should i do any water changes or try not to?
I try not too but if you need to, make sure you add copper to the new water prior to putting it in your tank.

Snyder1456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. If I am not medicating, do you see any reason why I couldn't put a couple of snails in my QT to eat the algae that's starting to grow??

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. If I am not medicating, do you see any reason why I couldn't put a couple of snails in my QT to eat the algae that's starting to grow??
If you aren't going to medicate then you want your QT to be as close to a DT as possible. Snails would be just fine.

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When testing a gallon jug with copper to gauge color on test kit does it matter if its saltwater or is rodi water ok to use?

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When testing a gallon jug with copper to gauge color on test kit does it matter if its saltwater or is rodi water ok to use?
I have never tried it with RODI but I don't believe it will work. I feel the differences in colors some of us see is due to different salt mixtures.

GucciYoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS does not acclimate salinity or anything too complicated. They float the bag for awhile and release. Their fish seem to be doing great and I have had good results as well...

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS does not acclimate salinity or anything too complicated. They float the bag for awhile and release. Their fish seem to be doing great and I have had good results as well...
What salinity do you receive your and/or your LFS receive their fish in? My LFS doesn't acclimate salinity either because they maintain there system at 1.017.

If you live in an area where fish are shipped at 1.025 and that is where you are keeping them, you may not need to either.

BellaCoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure it say it in there but I am missing it. How long do you keep your new fish / new corals in QT before you trust it to be safe?

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure it say it in there but I am missing it. How long do you keep your new fish / new corals in QT before you trust it to be safe?
Just to be clear, I have laid out the absolute minimum QT I would recommend. In this case, a fish would spend at least 10 days in copper. If there were no visible symptoms and it was eating it could be transferred to the DT.

Coral QT becomes more complex. Ideally you would keep it in a QT system for at least 76 days prior to putting it into your DT. The coral QT could never have fish in it to make sure it was safe. This is based strictly on fish diseases. Corals have their own array of pests which are best dealt with in a QT. The 76 days would be long enough to identify most of them, also.

Pickleowl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had enough knowledge. I'm still trying to up my coral game. In my limited experience I haven't found acclimation to be a problem. I float, bayer dip, rinse, and put in a QT. A few days later I do an H2O2 dip. They stay In a QT for 2 months before going into my DT.

Oh, and welcome to Reef2Reef!

Haven't read much on the H2O2 dip so I will but I would like to hear your process in the meantime.. what exactly is it and what do you do?

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't read much on the H2O2 dip so I will but I would like to hear your process in the meantime.. what exactly is it and what do you do?
I don't do it a precise as I am sure others do. I take a normal size empty sour creme container (I use them for everything!), fill it 2/3 with tank water. Add some 3% hydrogen peroxide. I don't measure but at least a tablespoon or 3. Dip the frag for 1 to 2 minutes then back into the tank. I've never tried it on more delicate SPS, and the zoas close up for a few hours. I do this to help prevent algae issues.

Nickcdll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm just finishing setting up my tank ( 40 gallon innovative nuvo ) and really enjoyed this article. I want to do things right so i'm not in a rush but would rather learn first). Ok, so would a ten gallon be good for a qt? I set up a filter in back with just a sponge? should the sponge be brand new every time? The water, is it best to use , for lack of a better way to put it, fresh saltwater? Also i noticed that you were a electrical guru (awesome), i bought a tripp surge protector i'm going to mount upside down on the second shelf. should i change the outlet it's plugged into to gfci? Also, is a shockbuster overkill? I'm not sure btw if i read what you use for copper treatment? ......I just thought to add this, so i'm starting with dry rock and caribsea live sand. Would adding liverock from a respected lfs be a good idea, or should i do my best to control everything that goes into the tank and let the dry rock take it's time?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would a ten gallon be good for a qt?
That is my preferred QT size although I do have a 20g I use, also, for larger fish.

I set up a filter in back with just a sponge? should the sponge be brand new every time?
I use a simple HOB filter with nothing but a fresh sponge each time.

The water, is it best to use , for lack of a better way to put it, fresh saltwater?
I prefer to use old tank water but nothing wrong with using fresh mixed saltwater.

should i change the outlet it's plugged into to gfci? Also, is a shockbuster overkill?
You can either change the outlet to GFCI or use a shockbuster. Either would be fine but no reason to do both.

I'm not sure btw if i read what you use for copper treatment?
I normally use coppersafe but they may be having some quality control issues right now. Coppersafe is a chelated copper product. Cupramine would be ionic. You can use this table to see what is better for each type of fish.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fish-and-treatment-guidelines-with-chart.283450/

Would adding liverock from a respected lfs be a good idea
I think this is a good idea, but not a must. Especially if they keep their live rock in a system without fish.

Nickcdll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for your reply. That article about what is safe to use on fish is awesome. so its not necessary to cycle the qt tant before putting a fish in it? and is it better or worse for live rock to be in a tank with fish?

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question:
if i use the same test kits/beakers etc that I use for my quarantine tanks on my display tank is this gonna cause a problem?
I always rinse them with tap water and let dry before using again

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back