Beginners...sometimes less is more

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few days ago I read a post where someone had killed quite a few fish trying to follow a QT protocol outlined on this forum. That protocol was no doubt very well written, informative, and accurate, but the person trying to implement it didn't have the necessary experience. For this reason, if you are new to the hobby, maybe consider taking a slower less reactive approach. I've been in the hobby off and on for 20 years, and my latest reef setup has been running over 8 years. My setup is simple, lots of flow and a good skimmer. No dosing, just saltwater. I have qt'd 14 fish including a copperband, 3 different tangs (the hippo came from petco), a bicolor and flame angel, gramma, clowns (also petco) and have not lost one fish or used one drop of preventative medicine, and I have had all my fish in DT for at least two years. I use the same 55 gallon for QT I started with 8 years ago. It sits fallow and running with pods, liverock, aiptasia (grown for my cbb) and beneficial bacteria, until I get a new fish which I observe for 76 days. Why stress new fish more than they already are by trying to prevent a disease it may not even have? If I notice a problem I'll treat, but just having good water quality, an established system, natural live food and surroundings, and a place free from harassment is often all that is needed. Not strictly monitoring your copper levels is far worse than doing nothing, if there are no symptoms present.

So here's some quick tips:

1. Look for fish from fellow hobbyists that are rehoming first as they are more likely eating well already or watch it eat at LFS
2. Consider you choice of fish carefully. Don't impulse buy.
3. Be prepared with a plan to remove and rehome when mixing aggressive fish like tangs
4. Don't skip QT (this process also makes sure the new fish doesn't get out competed for food )
5. Have a backup plan for power failures
6. Start slow, don't rush the cycling time

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good advice and I agree I started out with a 20 gallon long and I was miserable with it because it was so hard to maintain. I wish I started with a 40 gallon or a 75.!!!!! And because I had a 20 I bought a fish from Petco I know that’s my first mistake, but then I didn’t qt it and it completely ruined my tank it got flatworms and it was definitely devastating so please listen to the man

OP
OP
jtf74

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good advice and I agree I started out with a 20 gallon long and I was miserable with it because it was so hard to maintain. I wish I started with a 40 gallon or a 75.!!!!! And because I had a 20 I bought a fish from Petco I know that’s my first mistake, but then I didn’t qt it and it completely ruined my tank it got flatworms and it was definitely devastating so please listen to the man
Yeah another good point. Go as big as you can afford. The more water volume the less chance of drastic parameter swings.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 33.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back