Beginning coral questions

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it's extremely hard to not try and constantly move them to get them to open up! I'll let them sit where they are now for a few weeks I'm hoping it opens up sooner then later. Yeah their mouths open sometimes and other times their completely closed!

Yea I know the feeling lol.
If you can eventually figure out what variety they are, it will be a lot easier to keep them happy. A lot of different types will like different conditions.
If they don't open up within a week or so, maybe start a new thread and someone with more zoa experience may chime in and give you some first hand advice :)
I haven't had much experience keeping them.
They should be fine though!
Also, nice looking frogspawn.

OP
OP
Qh2214

Qh2214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I know the feeling lol.
If you can eventually figure out what variety they are, it will be a lot easier to keep them happy. A lot of different types will like different conditions.
If they don't open up within a week or so, maybe start a new thread and someone with more zoa experience may chime in and give you some first hand advice :)
I haven't had much experience keeping them.
They should be fine though!
Also, nice looking frogspawn.

Okay I'll look up some zoa pictures and try to match them up to find out the name! Thanks its actually thriving in the tank much more then the zoas at this point. I'm hoping one of my clowns are going to home in it! I've got a baby black clown but still has a lot of orange on him!

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like everything is going well for you. Just remember to go slow. Add to your tank little bit at a time. Too much at once could be bad. As somebody said on here, the faster you go the harder you crash!

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I'll look up some zoa pictures and try to match them up to find out the name! Thanks its actually thriving in the tank much more then the zoas at this point. I'm hoping one of my clowns are going to home in it! I've got a baby black clown but still has a lot of orange on him!

It would be cool if the frogspawn hosts the clowns!
It's strange how some clowns start orange and turn black and some are always black. I like watching them change :)

OP
OP
Qh2214

Qh2214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like everything is going well for you. Just remember to go slow. Add to your tank little bit at a time. Too much at once could be bad. As somebody said on here, the faster you go the harder you crash!

Definitely. Haven't wanted to add anything until the zoas open up! Hoping by Monday they'll be up but I think their blue agave zoas.

OP
OP
Qh2214

Qh2214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be cool if the frogspawn hosts the clowns!
It's strange how some clowns start orange and turn black and some are always black. I like watching them change :)

Yeah I'm really hopeful that's the case because my big clown is really protective of the frogspawn, always nipping at me if I try to move it. Yeah I'm pumped to see him go through the change glad I got him when he's that young!

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a great attitude and it looks like your tank is coming along well. It will be fun to watch it progress!

OP
OP
Qh2214

Qh2214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a great attitude and it looks like your tank is coming along well. It will be fun to watch it progress!

Thanks man! Ya I just got into this hobby towards the beginning of September and now I'm completely hooked! I'm pumped to see how my corals all progress and I'm hoping the zoas make it and can both coexist on the same rock I wanted a split rock zoa garden because I think they'd look really cool together. Any advice for next corals I'd really like to have the moving effect of my next corals. Not another frogspawn but something else that moves similar to it!

gotscreensprinting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When i started my 28 gallon nano cube i just waited 3 days before adding my fish a pair of clowns a 2 puffers and and 2 damsels all was good no problems here.My lfs just walked me through the steps of cyling very quick adding all the bacteria and live rock first 3 days.
IMAG1944.jpg
Our Saltwater Tank 7-10-2014 (9).jpg
Our Saltwater Tank 7-10-2014.jpg
IMAG2092.jpg
IMAG2085.jpg
9 days in fish,anemones,plants, etc.I thank my lfs for teaching me everything i know.I tried black sand i had problems with it so i went with the fifji pink

Last edited:

gotscreensprinting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 9th day of my tank all fish plants live rock looking good all i did was do weekly water change added a media reactor and chiller thats it besides all the kent marine products i used very great.
IMAG2082.jpg
IMAG2080.jpg
IMAG2075.jpg
IMAG2125.jpg
IMAG2122.jpg

gotscreensprinting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your lfs can walk you threw the quick setupo your fine i have condy anemones my clowns love them hosted them all 7 ion total it took a while but they didi it.GOOD LUCK ON YOUR JOURNEY.I have a 100 gallon tank now and lovin it.
2014-11-01 23.09.13.jpg
[video=youtube;gVe9QbGTODI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVe9QbGTODI[/video]

gotscreensprinting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the start of my 100 gallon tank took everything from 28gallon nao cube and put it in the new tank water was cloudy but my lfs is great no loss here.[video=youtube;SkAec57Iguc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkAec57Iguc[/video]

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man! Ya I just got into this hobby towards the beginning of September and now I'm completely hooked! I'm pumped to see how my corals all progress and I'm hoping the zoas make it and can both coexist on the same rock I wanted a split rock zoa garden because I think they'd look really cool together. Any advice for next corals I'd really like to have the moving effect of my next corals. Not another frogspawn but something else that moves similar to it!

I was after more movement for ages! My issue was Xenia was all that was available to me at the time :(
If you have a good LFS who can specially order you coral, perhaps consider more euphyllia (hammers, torches and frogspawn. Be careful, they pack a nasty sting!), ORA goniopora are supposed to be very hardy, alveopora, a lot of softies add nice movement but be careful because a lot of them can grow out of control and take over! If your up to the challenge, aussie Catalaphylia are really awesome corals. The indo cats don't last long though.
Perhaps give it a while for your tank to settle before considering the goniopora, alveopora or Catalaphylia though! :)

OP
OP
Qh2214

Qh2214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 9th day of my tank all fish plants live rock looking good all i did was do weekly water change added a media reactor and chiller thats it besides all the kent marine products i used very great. IMAG2082.jpg IMAG2080.jpg IMAG2075.jpg IMAG2125.jpg IMAG2122.jpg

What exactly does a media reactor do?

OP
OP
Qh2214

Qh2214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was after more movement for ages! My issue was Xenia was all that was available to me at the time :(
If you have a good LFS who can specially order you coral, perhaps consider more euphyllia (hammers, torches and frogspawn. Be careful, they pack a nasty sting!), ORA goniopora are supposed to be very hardy, alveopora, a lot of softies add nice movement but be careful because a lot of them can grow out of control and take over! If your up to the challenge, aussie Catalaphylia are really awesome corals. The indo cats don't last long though.
Perhaps give it a while for your tank to settle before considering the goniopora, alveopora or Catalaphylia though! :)

Awesome my LFS sells torches, hammer, and frogspawn. Another LFS I go to has the alveopora, catalaphylia, and the goniopora! Pumped that everything you suggested is readily available to me! Is there tips for care for any of these corals? As you can see my rocks are placed so the flow will go through the cave. Where would be the best placement for these corals? Lol actually harder to see then I intended.. I'll take a better picture tomorrow of my set up!
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1414916399.716387.jpg

gotscreensprinting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all just depends on what you get my kenya tree very hardy love the flow of water,my flower pot coral also like the wave action,my mushrooms tend to be in the middle level of the tank or the floor.my palys and zoas are a mix of medium level and higheer up.

OP
OP
Qh2214

Qh2214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all just depends on what you get my kenya tree very hardy love the flow of water,my flower pot coral also like the wave action,my mushrooms tend to be in the middle level of the tank or the floor.my palys and zoas are a mix of medium level and higheer up.

I don't really understand the media reactors, I can't tell if it would be necessary for me I've got a 20g long with a protein skimmer, powerhead, and a large filter; my main reason for being hesitant is I've got a lot hanging off of the back already and I'm on my last plug in my power strip lol. I was thinking a hammer coral and maybe one other? That would give me two zoas and one frog spawn with the addition to the hammer and another coral. I'd like something to put up on my rocks though!

gotscreensprinting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
media reactors are for bigger bio loads and small ones once the reactor starts to work it keeps the nitrates down which is good.Bacteria on the bio pellets starts to break down the nitrates and keeps them at bay.At least with mine in conjunction with my protein skimmer keeps the nitrates away.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome my LFS sells torches, hammer, and frogspawn. Another LFS I go to has the alveopora, catalaphylia, and the goniopora! Pumped that everything you suggested is readily available to me! Is there tips for care for any of these corals? As you can see my rocks are placed so the flow will go through the cave. Where would be the best placement for these corals? Lol actually harder to see then I intended.. I'll take a better picture tomorrow of my set up!
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1414916399.716387.jpg

The cat, goni and alveopora will need target feeding and once you get a bit more experience keeping coral they should be relatively easy to keep :) the goniopora can be tricky to keep, but ORA grow ones that are supposed to be pretty easy. Alveopora are pretty easy too. They both need similar light to your frogspawn and just enough flow to gently wave the tentacles.
Catallaphylia are known to be very hard to keep, but if you find an aussie specimen and keep up your maintainance routine they can be done. A little extra light than our frogspawn and similar flow. Again you'll need a bit more experience before trying this one, but it will add quite a lot of colour and movement to your tank.
Hammers and torches are pretty much the same care as your frogspawn too. Also they're easy to keep, cheap and very nice corals! Lots of different colour varieties and the corals I would personally recommend for movement.

I don't really understand the media reactors, I can't tell if it would be necessary for me I've got a 20g long with a protein skimmer, powerhead, and a large filter; my main reason for being hesitant is I've got a lot hanging off of the back already and I'm on my last plug in my power strip lol. I was thinking a hammer coral and maybe one other? That would give me two zoas and one frog spawn with the addition to the hammer and another coral. I'd like something to put up on my rocks though!

You won't need any reactors or dosing equipment for a 20gal. Water changes will be more than enough :)
You can keep hammers and frogspawns up on the rock. Zoas too, but they will grow over the rock in time.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back