Being totally honest: Stuff that scares the daylights out of me...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

rajkovich207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm most afraid of angels. I love them to death and I'm sure I'll end up grabbing one for my new tank, but I love my clams and zoas and the like and just don't want to try and catch a rebel angel in the display. If I happen apon a potters again though I can live with no clams. Only angel I was willing to take the risk with, unfortunately I lost it in qt after endless battles with various diseases from an unreliable source.

buzzword

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rajkovich, I have had a Potters angel now for 4 months in with Deresa and Maxima clams with no issues. Also have zoas, blasto, and acans. No problem from the Potters at all. Only angel I have had problems with is Flame started eating all my "LE" zoas.
Will have to say though he is well fed on blackworms, LRS and angel formula.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rajkovich, I have had a Potters angel now for 4 months in with Deresa and Maxima clams with no issues. Also have zoas, blasto, and acans. No problem from the Potters at all. Only angel I have had problems with is Flame started eating all my "LE" zoas.
Will have to say though he is well fed on blackworms, LRS and angel formula.
I think I let go of my "Angel fear" a while back...I have always been into fishes, and I considered it a calculated rick that I was willing to take with corals to make fishes the main focus. That being said, I value my corals of course, so the fish choices are within reason...LOL

Perculap

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plumbing was scary for me and still is to a point. I've plumbed several of my own tanks with PVC, flex, added reactors and all that jazz. But helping or setting up another person's tank is always still scary. Even think I know the glue and clamps will do their job, I always envision a failure. lol

Lemec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, you touched on my greatest fear...I bought my first controller and it intimidates the crud out of me!

Gamma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water testing using test kits. I can't tell which color my test matches up to very accuratly so I end up second guessing myself. Ironically enough I make my living (kind of) as a biologist yet I can't afford test meters for my own tank.

I'd be nervous building my own stand and would probably over build it.
I am biologist too and also suck at reading my test results...sometimes I think I might be somewhat color blind lol!

jdl513

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am shocked to see no one has mentioned electricity yet! (Pun absolutely intended).

Working with an older LED strip darn near knocked me on my can a few years back.
Been zapped before but that was the first time I was truly frightened of a piece of equipment.
No hesitation...that fixture went straight into the trash.
Also tossed it's twin for good measure.

TD13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rattlesnakes. I live in MO and we don't really have em, but HOLY JEEZ.... No thanks. I know that's not fish but if I ever run up on one I'll need new shorts for sure!

DonCraig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Find water pouring out of the tank from an undetermined cause. Oh wait - that was my 60 cube with a spontaneous CRACK in the bottom. The 1 hour tank breakdown is a nightmare too.....

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Controllers are fun. Leaks while I'm away from home scare me.

Power failures scare me.

Kids around my tank..scare me.

So.....leak detectors, multiple battery back ups, screen locked controllers, and door alarms help me sleep.

Well that and the ability to check on my tank and Web cam from my hotel bed when I'm on the road (the more apex gear, the better).

LiquidFunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm scared of what happened to Joe, you said you owned the place and hire people. That's fantastic but what did you do to Joe!
I'm an avid electrician, plumber, tank driller and the other sorts of things so those other things don't bug me a bit! (Although auto top off Kalk reactor, that's one.... Water on the floor and low S. gravity I can handle, 10 pH and 15 dKH alk forget it!)

Judy@SYA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for this awesome thread! I'm still new...my tank is still dry (seems like it will be for the foreseeable future :( )...and EVERYthing scares me! LOL Reading through all the amazing build threads and tons of great advice folks give on plumbing and lights and whatnot...makes it look like experienced reefers are jacks of all trades, able to leap PVC in a single bound and run faster than a speeding crack in the glass. It's extremely comforting to see that one can be successful at this without becoming a master plumber first! So again...thank you!!

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20150727_070117 (1).jpg
I used to be comfortable with DIY lighting, but then this happened. The picture is the underside of the cabinet that the tank rests on. I almost burned down my house. It was a cheapo power supply (made in China, not UL listed) that caught fire!

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for this awesome thread! I'm still new...my tank is still dry (seems like it will be for the foreseeable future :( )...and EVERYthing scares me! LOL Reading through all the amazing build threads and tons of great advice folks give on plumbing and lights and whatnot...makes it look like experienced reefers are jacks of all trades, able to leap PVC in a single bound and run faster than a speeding crack in the glass. It's extremely comforting to see that one can be successful at this without becoming a master plumber first! So again...thank you!!
We're all a LITTLE afraid of something..and if we say we aren't, I think we're not being honest. That being said, don't be afraid to get out of your comfort zone and advance...and be sure to reach for the great help that R2R members can offer!

rajkovich207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that's rough. Luckily the one time I had a near disaster like this we smelled the burning smell of electronics and I was able to trace down the problematic and when extension cord.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20150727_070117 (1).jpg
I used to be comfortable with DIY lighting, but then this happened. The picture is the underside of the cabinet that the tank rests on. I almost burned down my house. It was a cheapo power supply (made in China, not UL listed) that caught fire!
Yikes! Case in point...!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back