Being totally honest: Stuff that scares the daylights out of me...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Clink51

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Building my own stand is terrifying. What if i didnt put the correct amount of screws?!

Salt Creep on my wires

Finally, Zoas... zoas are my favorite coral, and i have several zoa garden rocks but they terrify me. Ive been keeping them for 2 years and im still unable to frag them out of fear of being poisoned

extra credit: standing in front of a microwave while its running. ive seen so many horror movies growing up, i always feel like it is going to blow up on my face

DrayB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when you get back home after being away for a few days....i calmly open the door, put the bags down and meander into the living room to check the tank......in my head I'm kicking down the front door pushing the wife and kids out the way and running into the living room expecting to see the worst..... and then PHEWWWW everything is still there :)

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when you get back home after being away for a few days....i calmly open the door, put the bags down and meander into the living room to check the tank......in my head I'm kicking down the front door pushing the wife and kids out the way and running into the living room expecting to see the worst..... and then PHEWWWW everything is still there :)
I can totally relate to that one!

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Find water pouring out of the tank from an undetermined cause. Oh wait - that was my 60 cube with a spontaneous CRACK in the bottom. The 1 hour tank breakdown is a nightmare too.....
Ohhh ouch x.x I remember when my acrylic tank blew a seam. That is no fun!!

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am shocked to see no one has mentioned electricity yet! (Pun absolutely intended).

Working with an older LED strip darn near knocked me on my can a few years back.
Been zapped before but that was the first time I was truly frightened of a piece of equipment.
No hesitation...that fixture went straight into the trash.
Also tossed it's twin for good measure.
Very nearly dumped a 5g bucket of saltwater on an older live power strip a few years back...that would have been horrible since I'd have been standing in the puddle x.x you're right, electricity and water (salt especially) is a dangerous combo. Especially for a klutz like yours truly.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for this awesome thread! I'm still new...my tank is still dry (seems like it will be for the foreseeable future :( )...and EVERYthing scares me! LOL Reading through all the amazing build threads and tons of great advice folks give on plumbing and lights and whatnot...makes it look like experienced reefers are jacks of all trades, able to leap PVC in a single bound and run faster than a speeding crack in the glass. It's extremely comforting to see that one can be successful at this without becoming a master plumber first! So again...thank you!!
Always members here happy to help you. It truly is a great forum in that respect.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Controllers are fun. Leaks while I'm away from home scare me.

Power failures scare me.

Kids around my tank..scare me.

So.....leak detectors, multiple battery back ups, screen locked controllers, and door alarms help me sleep.

Well that and the ability to check on my tank and Web cam from my hotel bed when I'm on the road (the more apex gear, the better).
Forget kids near the tank...kids period scare me XD hence why I have a reef and a dog, but no children.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for this awesome thread! I'm still new...my tank is still dry (seems like it will be for the foreseeable future :( )...and EVERYthing scares me! LOL Reading through all the amazing build threads and tons of great advice folks give on plumbing and lights and whatnot...makes it look like experienced reefers are jacks of all trades, able to leap PVC in a single bound and run faster than a speeding crack in the glass. It's extremely comforting to see that one can be successful at this without becoming a master plumber first! So again...thank you!!
Hey, no problem...It's just about being real...We all acquire any skills the longer we are in the hobby...it's just that some people are blessed with these skills already..or just go for it and, through trial and error, acquire mad skills they never had before...a part of the growth we enjoy in the hobby...And as mentioned before...a whole lot of support on these forums!

Bugsy_Barboza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, i'm scared for my house. Lol you never know to what extent you'll go through for your reef tank. From rolling brutes of water across new wooden floors, to an extra heavy tank sitting in a brand new house I bought last year, mixing water in the guest bathroom, and just the wear & tear it brings on the home. GREAT POST!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back