benapilot

benapilot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long overdue update:
Story time...
I have a problem these minty green zoanthids. They're taking over every available rock space they touch and multiply like crazy, covering over any encrusting coral in their path.

IMG_3075.JPG

Grr... So, one day, I thought I'd try getting rid of some of them. With some tweezers I tried gently lifting them from the rock. When that didn't work, I got a little more aggressive. Now, I've heard of palytoxin and how it can wipe people out, but I've handled rocks with these zoas before with no ill effect. I really got aggressive pulling this evil coral out. They slimed up, clouded the water, but I was only able to extract a fraction of them.

IMG_3076.JPG

That night, as I lay in bed thinking about how I'm going to get these things out of my tank, I began to feel achy and feverish. "Nah, it's just in my head!" and went to sleep. Next day my wife came home from work saying how she felt sick.... "uh, honey, I think I may have poisoned you..."
Palytoxin strikes again!! Fortunately, it only lasted a day or so. I thought I killed my red plating Monti, but it came back!

IMG_3079.JPG
So now, I'm accepting my evil new friends. The only way I'll completely get rid of them will be to do a total reset with new live rock. I'm not there yet, but it's in the back of my head for someday in the future.
Otherwise, the tank is on autopilot... almost literally! We went away on a three week vacation and other than scraping the glass when I got home, I didn't have to do a thing outside of my normal monthly maintenance tasks (trim the cheato, add kalk, clean the skimmer cup, and change the filter roll).

IMG_3073.JPG

IMG_3072.JPG

We spent some time in Hawaii on this last vacation. On the Big Island at the Mauna Lani resort, there are these fish ponds that are fed by the ocean. On the walkways, you can see all kinds of fish, plus some eels that like to hide in the rock walls. My wife was intrigued with them and asked if I could get one for the tank.... "I'm not sure...I'll need to do a little research."
Yesterday I put an order in with saltwaterfish.com for a Snowflake Eel! Spouse approved!
In order to get the free shipping, I also added a Red Coris Wrasse, a Melanarus Wrasse, a Starry Blenny and they included a Copperband Butterfly for $10 (I sure hope I can keep him alive).

Happy Reefing everyone!!

Attachments

• IMG_3074.JPG
    IMG_3074.JPG
    233.2 KB · Views: 7

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 62 39.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back