OP
OP
chewy tabacca

chewy tabacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have one clear winner right now, some of the other look like they are about to break out of the yoke as well, the yokes don't look very healthy though
IMAG3522.jpeg

OP
OP
chewy tabacca

chewy tabacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is where I am at, you can see at night all the dead eggs. There is still about 4 or 5 good ones left. 1 is looking really good. You can see where the heart has developed and the main artery has formed.

The next batch I am taking completely out of the tank and am going to mix a 20 gallon batch of clean water with a single power head in a rubber maid garbage bin with a lid. I am curious if it is the light that is killing them as in the dads mouth there is no light. I am also going to run the temperature a couple degrees warmer as I read somewhere once that will accelerate the growth rate of the eggs by a day or 2. In the mean time I am on a hope right now that a couple make it.
Screenshot_20180706-000103.jpeg

Clueless Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish you all the best of luck on this. I bread a bunch accidentally; just by luck I had a breeding pair. The male gave birth to them one morning and I really didn't know what to do, this was about two years ago and unfortunately there weren't a lot of good articles that I could use to help me. I have seen the breeding program they have at the Frost Aquarium in Miami that they have for Bengais and they use sea urchin's like the Bengais are used to in the wild. I kept mine living for about 4 months before they all died within a day of each other... i think it was just because I was really slow on the initial feeding and they had some stunted growth early on that they couldn't recover from. I kept breeding 3 rotations of baby brine shrimp to feed them and they really were exclusive to eating those stupid shrimp...very picky eaters.

14500713_931426217746_6997505193393435257_o.jpg

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great! Nice healthy clutch my friend! So much fun. I like your Breeder box. I need one! BRS.? I found another pdf on breeding Bangaiis if you’re interested. I’ll try to post but no guarantee. It can be emailed or messenger file transfer. I’m short on my broodstock at the moment. None of my cardinals want to get frisky atm. I just bought a nice pair of engineer gobies that I. Going to try and breed. Not my first choice but the pair looked perfectly matched. Plus they appear adult in size and mannerism.

Clueless Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@pdisner I'm not sure if you were referring to me or to the Author of the post; I got my breeder box locally at a place that now went out of business but here is the exact one that I purchased: http://www.yourfishstuff.com/lees-breeder-boxes I would recommend getting two of them since they develop detritus and algae just after a few days and need to be cleaned out; they also have handy tabs that you can use to hang them on your rim.

One issue that I ran into with my brood when they were alive was they all suffered from SFS (sudden fright syndrome). It would trigger for a variety of things that I couldn't narrow down to. When I was breeding the BBS (baby brine shrimp) I would incorporate Selco Boost into the crops of the shrimp so they would hopefully have additional nutrients for the Bengai's and then also do limited doses to the whole system so it was native in the water.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I’ve just been using a mesh breeder box, but no lid to it. I’d like to be able to capture the male and hold him in a closed, clear box. The reason for this is because The male was murdered by his own mate when I put him back with her. She chased him incessantly.
So when things go perfectly for you regarding this, do you remove the male and let it happen on its own, in a seperate tank to protect them or just force it?
About the NHBBS...yes, I had lost 15 out of a group of 5 Fry. It had to have been the baby brine. I’ve since started using TDO with brine. It’s a perfect substitute. We will see.
It works great for my blenny larvae. They’re growing like mad. Day 10 today for them. Big day...METAMORPHOSIS TODAY!
I caught my clown gobies laying another nice healthy clutch. I’ll post under main breeding forum with my Blennies if you want to check It out. Way too much fun!

OP
OP
chewy tabacca

chewy tabacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a little bit, so to anyone that is following, dad is brooding again and I was able to get 2 to survive. I am really starting to think that the light is the problem, so I am going to strip the eggs on the 27th (day 10) and nice them to a separate Rubbermaid 20 gal garbage can with a temperature that is 2 degrees warmer than my tank and it will have a kid so no light gets in with just a powerhead and thermostat to heat

Here are the 2 little guys
IMAG3638.jpeg
IMAG3639.jpeg

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! Nice. I’m trying to create a new pair out of the 6 that I have.

I keep hatching more striped blennies. This time I believe around 30 but too hard to do so soon. Like a sliver of glass, much smaller than a Bangaii baby. About 2mm

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have better success than if you used say a breeding basket? On my last clutch of Bangaiis, I had 19 on the first spawn. At Day 20 I raved the male to his own tank to deliver the spawn. It took awhile, about a week or so. When he was done, I put him back in with his female partner and she went after him very aggressively. So much so that I was afraid he was going to get killed and removed him to another team where he eventually die. They do this sort of thing, a very emotional type of fish. Weird. Has anyone ever had this happen to them? I have since reestablish my brood start and I am now waiting for them to make sure.I have one juvenile left from that Spawn last February. I had 15 of them dies suddenly and then another two died just recently leaving one left. I guess I will chalk it up to a first Spawn. I am working on yellow clown gobies, striped blennies and clownfish. The striped blennies you can see in my post in the fish breeding forum and on my FB page @PaulsPodsAZ.
a3bf74e2409208bac14c7464e1eeb5ee.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back