Patty's tank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6632.JPG

Hello there,
So I've had a 75 gallon tank set up since August of 2016. This is my first tank ever, so I'm still pretty new to all of this! I've had a pair of Bengaii Cardinals since the beginning and this morning I noticed one had a full mouth, like it was swollen (the guy at the top in the picture) . I kept an eye on him and eventually saw his mouth full of eggs. This is awesome news but I know nothing about breeding, so I was hoping to get some advice/guidance on what to do. If anyone could share some knowledge this would be very helpful.

I'm thinking the best thing to do is to quarantine the male, but I don't want to spend the money on all the extra equipment! Would I have success separating the male in a breeding box lined with fine mesh? I also have a pair of clown fish, a yellow eye kole tang and a magnificent foxface and I don't want the babies to get eaten!

Any advise would help, thanks

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best to separate the male even if its only a breeders net. Make a fake urchin out of epoxy and zip ties for the babies to hide in when they emerge. Your gonna need baby brine shrimp hatched out and enriched..and they'll eat a lot! Last batch I had three shrimp hatcheries going and I was just keeping up with them! Good luck and keep us informed!

OP
OP
Patty's tank

Patty's tank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best to separate the male even if its only a breeders net. Make a fake urchin out of epoxy and zip ties for the babies to hide in when they emerge. Your gonna need baby brine shrimp hatched out and enriched..and they'll eat a lot! Last batch I had three shrimp hatcheries going and I was just keeping up with them! Good luck and keep us informed!
Awesome!!! Thank you

blesk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I setup simple 10g tank vith heater , sponge filter and light , have two brine shrimp hatchery going every batch I spike vith selcome in third day I start mix them vith frozen baby brine shrimp and week I cut completely live brine shrimp and only feed frozen , aftere that I start mixing vith cycplopez ,.

islandbreeze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome!!! Thank you
hey there, they look great how old are they? how many hatched from egg and how many survived? do they hatch live from mouth? also, beware ive used silicone anemone pink tip on rock from wal mart for my fry and it started to develop weird slime on surface, i think i slowly breaks down in saltwater possibly only for fresh. my tank was bit dirtier but beware, scared me it was so slimy, i trashed it after awhile. i went to pvc elbows instead. they ball up at night on or in the elbows.

islandbreeze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
get sieve from aquafarms for baby brine. make 2 hatchers. rehatch new brine every 2 days to feed cause the yolk sac on brine is much higher nutrients and used up after 24hrs, soak brine in some live phyto and a few selco original drops for hr before feeding. watch the colors of fish explode.

islandbreeze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If ya wanna get serious, ...you should order a couple alga disks from aqua farms they are like 10 bucks a piece, you soak for a day in petri dish then transfer to 500 mlbeaker and fill w microed water. swirl flask daily good and put in window or under 24 hr light. within a week transfer to 3 beakers and just quadruple volume weekly w new non ro either microwaved water or use pressurre cooker like i did for water source. buy the f2 micro algae fertilizer formula for 10 bucks. add like 8 drops a quart. afetr all this, you will have 3 or 4 quarts or whatever of LIVE motile or non algae to soak your brine, pods, whathaveyou . if you add a half qt or 2 to tank when they hatch, it works awesome too. bottom line, ive had 3 tyes phyto growing on continuous batch for couple yrs straight, so easy. you can do bubblers in beakers if ya dont wanna swirl for thicker and faster in closet w 24hr lights or just gatorade bottles in window but lets face it, fry eat the hundreds of thousands of other baby foods,,planktons in sea that feed on these very algae to survive, not nutrient void empty sources like artemia. its just a vessel for whatever you want to enrich your little fry w to develop to the max. Btw fresh live algae smells so good, like a fresh smell of spring breeze and open ocean clean its strange, so clean and fresh. it sterilizes water column too they say. ok ill put the cappachino down.

OP
OP
Patty's tank

Patty's tank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey there, they look great how old are they? how many hatched from egg and how many survived? do they hatch live from mouth? also, beware ive used silicone anemone pink tip on rock from wal mart for my fry and it started to develop weird slime on surface, i think i slowly breaks down in saltwater possibly only for fresh. my tank was bit dirtier but beware, scared me it was so slimy, i trashed it after awhile. i went to pvc elbows instead. they ball up at night on or in the elbows.
They are about a week old! They came out of dad's mouth alive, some took a day or so to be able to swim properly but most of them came out ready to go! Two died when they came out of dad's mouth but I count 29 live ones so I'm happy!!! Thanks for all the advice, I will def keep all of that in mind!

OP
OP
Patty's tank

Patty's tank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6837.JPG
I need more advice! I have been feeding the Bengaii fry fresh baby brine shrimp and they are growing well, I have tried feeding them frozen and/or pellet foods and they will not touch it! Does anyone out there know how to get them to start eating something other than fresh baby brine? It's becoming a hassle to keep hatching them and it's been over a month

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also read that fast moving flow will move the food item around fast enough to initiate a hunting response. So they're less likely to investigate the food item and more likely to consume.

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you only have a pair of them? How do you tell male/female of the cardinals? Thanks! Those are very cool!

Back