Benggai Cardinal vs. copper

  • Thread starter Thread starter KWolfe81
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

KWolfe81

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 4, 2021
Messages
88
Reaction score
74
Location
PNW
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if Banggai cardinals are susceptible to copper? I searched and couldn't find info one way or the other.

I just picked up the cardinal, he was looking great in a fresh QT tank for a few hours (using DT tank water). I treated him with a 1/5 dose of Fritz Coppersafe and about 60 minutes later, he's up-side-down. I don't have test strips yet to check the copper level (they're in the mail), but wow, that was fast. I have another royal gramma that was going to go through the same treatment and he's looking fine. In any case, I'm kinda stumped what happened.
 
Does anyone know if Banggai cardinals are susceptible to copper? I searched and couldn't find info one way or the other.

I just picked up the cardinal, he was looking great in a fresh QT tank for a few hours (using DT tank water). I treated him with a 1/5 dose of Fritz Coppersafe and about 60 minutes later, he's up-side-down. I don't have test strips yet to check the copper level (they're in the mail), but wow, that was fast. I have another royal gramma that was going to go through the same treatment and he's looking fine. In any case, I'm kinda stumped what happened.

Given the timeline, I would suspect that there was a salinity difference between the tank the cardinal came from and the QT. This species handles copper fine, and a 1/5 dose of coppersafe - even shrimp can handle that.

Jay
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new