Bess's Reef Tank

john90009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen so many threads with new tanks especially red sea tanks where they are damaged during shipping. You would think with the amount of tanks they have to replace they would figure out a safer way of transport or only trust specific moving companies.

OP
OP
redpine42

redpine42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job on the sump, hopefully you will have your tank soon.. I just can’t believe these tank manufacturers don’t come up with a fail safe shipping method for aquariums the precentage of tanks being damaged during the shipping process is astronomical, your experience is probably about typical.. I have had one of the last two tanks I ordered also arrive broken:mad:

Have you been to blue ridge aquatics? They are off 234 on the 15 side.. maybe 30 minutes from Leesburg

No any good? I'll have to check it out. We went to a place in Fairfax (Reef eScape) that had some outstanding display tanks.

OP
OP
redpine42

redpine42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen so many threads with new tanks especially red sea tanks where they are damaged during shipping. You would think with the amount of tanks they have to replace they would figure out a safer way of transport or only trust specific moving companies.

Ya and I looked at the replacement just for the tank, 2K.

OP
OP
redpine42

redpine42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1F481CF4-284D-4C9F-82EB-8DBEBEE90BAF.jpeg
A06F7B35-43B5-4672-98DC-04831E11661C.jpeg

So while waiting I set up most of the control. Need a few a zip ties to straighten up the wiring mess.

I got a Finex heater, it comes with a controller. Do I need to use it? Was planning on using my apex.

Also, the rack I got for all the apex sensors I think is for dosing. It’s too small for the sensor to slide in. Any suggestions?

Tomorrow I’m starting plumbing.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No any good? I'll have to check it out. We went to a place in Fairfax (Reef eScape) that had some outstanding display tanks.

Yeah they have some cool stuff, it’s a old place been in business for about 30 years and are a Red Sea dealer it would be worth the trip.. sorry got the name wrong it’s blue ribbon aquatics. I didn’t know about reef escape I’ll check it out thanks!

50A146F5-0D1D-4751-AE13-A8FD313B8247.jpeg

OP
OP
redpine42

redpine42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I set up the hydras today and was running them with weather turned on. I walked by and saw a flicker, then another flicker. I assume this is simulated lightning. Silly

No thunder?

OP
OP
redpine42

redpine42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3093.JPG

So I finished the plumbing and still have problems galore.

1. First the Current USA pump is listed in their help section as having an output of 1 1/2 inch NPT. Nope 1 1/2 inch only gets a couple threads. So I asked their support. They say it's 1 1/4 NPT. Concerning that they don't even know the specs of their product. Ordered a Neptune COR 20 I'm certain it will work.

2. I absolutely was aghast with the solutions that Red Sea put into their plumbing. While fitting the piping the end piece came out. Oh different size threads, just add some plumbers tape. This is tick poor quality and I'm sure has caused accidental spillage for other users. Their plumbing its cheap crap that wasn't made to last.

3. Unions are your plumbing friend if you glue an angle wrong, adjust your mistake away with a union.

4. When I measured and I did measure I had the plumbing on the top of the cabinet. I have some straps to hook the plumbing on the top, but somewhere I lost about an inch. Hopefully I'll cut right when I hook up the core.

On a side note my next tank I'm boycotting suppliers that don't use NPT. This is ridiculous that we can't find matching parts from a hardware store. I know this means no Neptune or Red Sea. BTW, I'm under whelmed by the quality of Red Sea for the price paid and I absolutely like the Neptune products, but guys come into the 20th century, you can manufacture parts for different parts of the world based upon different standards. Everyone does this, but the lazy companies like Red Sea and Neptune.

Can't wait to find out what other silly problems I encounter.

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice progress! Those are some shocking issues with the Red Sea for what they charge for their tanks, I had considered one for my current build but they are way out of my reefing budget.. It also would be nice if they could get it to their customers in one piece they first time, if they would use dense molded foam inside and out and pack them securely in plywood shipping boxs it would prevent 99% of there tanks from being broken.

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good.. now the boring part waiting for the tank to cycle and stabilize ;Yawn I’m on day 5 of rock in my new tank and now it’s just a waiting game, probably put lighting on it in October

OP
OP
redpine42

redpine42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good.. now the boring part waiting for the tank to cycle and stabilize ;Yawn I’m on day 5 of rock in my new tank and now it’s just a waiting game, probably put lighting on it in October

My biggest challenge is to get the Apex Wav and COR dialed in. Still targeting a system that uses Triton. Any advice configuring these would be of help. My return is setup around 420 GPH, Triton wants me to do 1080 based upon 10x my tank size.

My initial numbers look are stable PH is 8.12, Salinity is 34.6. Will run other tests latter today. Have you added fish yet for you cycling?

OP
OP
redpine42

redpine42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw that the iphone has color accommodations. Anyone use these to filter out the blues?

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest challenge is to get the Apex Wav and COR dialed in. Still targeting a system that uses Triton. Any advice configuring these would be of help. My return is setup around 420 GPH, Triton wants me to do 1080 based upon 10x my tank size.

My initial numbers look are stable PH is 8.12, Salinity is 34.6. Will run other tests latter today. Have you added fish yet for you cycling?

Sorry I don’t use APEX yet but I have been considering getting one at some point, I’m just not sure I trust them yet.. Not sure how long you have been in the game but you absolutely do not need any of that stuff to have a successful reef, you will get a multitude of opinions but unless you are planning a high end sticks only reef I feel products like Triton are just snake oil that add a layer of complexity and cost to your system. Been reefing for over 30 years and never have used anything but kalkwasser and some calcium supplements however last year I did add a couple inkbird temp controllers and ATO’s to the 2 nano tanks I currently have running.. this is one of them that’s completely hands off except pulling stuff out as the tank overgrows, no controller, no supplements and practically no cleaning at all.

0635D379-2C2A-41F6-B9C5-7406E44F07BB.jpeg

OP
OP
redpine42

redpine42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I don’t use APEX yet but I have been considering getting one at some point, I’m just not sure I trust them yet.. Not sure how long you have been in the game but you absolutely do not need any of that stuff to have a successful reef, you will get a multitude of opinions but unless you are planning a high end sticks only reef I feel products like Triton are just snake oil that add a layer of complexity and cost to your system. Been reefing for over 30 years and never have used anything but kalkwasser and some calcium supplements however last year I did add a couple inkbird temp controllers and ATO’s to the 2 nano tanks I currently have running.. this is one of them that’s completely hands off except pulling stuff out as the tank overgrows, no controller, no supplements and practically no cleaning at all.

0635D379-2C2A-41F6-B9C5-7406E44F07BB.jpeg
No cleaning is my goal. I'm a techie, so I appreciate the effort that went into producing APEX. If I had the time I could do something similar with a raspberry pi and a few audrinos.

As for Triton, ya it and the others smell like Snake oil. I'll decide later if I go that way or one of the others. Looking at other options. Kalkwasser is a new one. Thanks

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No cleaning is my goal. I'm a techie, so I appreciate the effort that went into producing APEX. If I had the time I could do something similar with a raspberry pi and a few audrinos.

As for Triton, ya it and the others smell like Snake oil. I'll decide later if I go that way or one of the others. Looking at other options. Kalkwasser is a new one. Thanks

The big thing with controllers is having redundant fail safes in place in case something happens, there are many threads on here about people’s controllers failing and wiping out there tanks while they where sleeping or at work. kalkwasser is a old school method of keep your calcium and alkalinity in line.. simple, cheap and effective

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back