Best aquarium controller?

U

User1

View Badges
I would look at this a different way and start by asking yourself why you want a controller and what do you want it to do. Make a list, pro and con, check it twice, and then you have a starting point. You know what you must have and know what you do not want. Makes shopping a bit easier.

Next up is to again do a bit of self reflecting and ask yourself do you want an off the shelf closed system or do you want something that is open source. This is important because it opens different options that are not listed here such as Arduino and Pi based systems. If you have some DIY skills you have several options to choose from or you can buy something already built, say a Reef Angel, if you have basic coding skills.

Now with your list of needs you can shop for a product or package. It really is as easy as that. You start asking us and our personal bias is going to get in the way no matter how much we honestly try not to. There are two larger ecosystems out there already mentioned and both will serve your needs more than likely. Open source something like Reef Angel or any of the Pi based systems will work. In some cases while they don't have the automated testing options they do other things and in some cases better than the two over the counter products like geolocations, tides, storms, etc. Put it all together and you can nerd out to your hearts content.

Point is you have to do a bit of homework first. Kick a list around. Window shop. Then ask some questions. Ignore for now the testing automation. You can buy that later and it isn't critical. In fact if you are newer to the hobby then you should be manual testing anyway to learn how the process works and interconnects not to mention how it relates visually to what you see while standing in front of your tank.

Best of luck!

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly there is no best. Just peoples opinions of what they think the best is.

I use apex. It fits what I wanted it to do. So it was the best for me.

Ask yourself what you want it to do ultimately, look up what the parts and modules cost for it (They won’t run the world right out of the box).

Watch some programming reviews and see what will work best for you for ease of use and function.

Style68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only annoyance I found with the GHL Profilux 4 is the wireless controller it uses. As a network administrator I can tell you it's not great. It works pretty well when connecting to the controller using the GHL connect app, but when connecting using the GHL Control Center software I get disconnected at least once every time I use it, and this is with any of my three computers I use to connect with. It got much better throughout the years with updates but for me it's the only real negative I can give it.

Snookin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A major part of the decision that you need to think about is your level of skills with coding. I bought a Reef Angel years ago and had to return it. Dealing with the coding was brutal for me. I wanted to save money and it wasn’t a good decision. I wanted more plug and play options and APEX may be the easiest plug and play controller. So, that’s what I went with years ago and still use. But, I am interested in GHL too but availability and access isn’t as mainstream as APEX in the US. I was hoping they would be at MACNA but I don’t think they have a booth

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of this means nothing for many people who travel a lot. If someone never leaves their home, doesn’t travel for work, never goes on vacation, etc. Then a controller can be considered an unnecessary piece of equipment. But, you are probably in the minority here. Not many people can commit to manual daily maintenance, dosing, ato, etc on a tank.

Hello,

Yes I probably over thought my answer (it happens), but because of my work schedule 3 days a week but are 24 hour shifts, that’s half a week gone. Not to mention if I have inservice or we are short handed. Working an 80-100 hour week is kinda common in my line of work. How do I manage to do my tank manually (on food breaks ((helps that’s I live less than 10 min away from work)) but even manual only takes 25 minutes at the most. I do have days off and can do more then, but in reality if all these alarms are going off, it’s not like I can say (hey gotta go I have fish tank issues). My boss would think im a banana tree. Even if they alert you (which is good) how many people can just get up and go fix the problem. Even one step further, if one is use to a controller and it fails (devils adovcate here) will they know what their tank needs? Can they administer whatever module broke until it’s replaced?

As others state (having a controller isn’t bad) but the pro and con list is an amazing idea that was mentioned. To be honest and fair I can’t compare the two, except when I tried to learn about apex it was absolute confusing. I don’t blame Apex I do blame myself. I understand genetic coding, (better after four semesters of it), but computer coding I simply don’t grasp. Kinda of a goal to shoot for in the future perhaps.

It has @Snookin mentioned it may not be relevant if I never leave etc. The probelm is I’m hardly ever home because of work and I still have to find away to manage my tank. If it were easy for me to apply an apex then I would, however with my tiny knowledge of computers etc, it would make things worse. Put simply if the op is a computer genius or just savoy, make a list of pros and cons and choose. If your aka like me and have no idea what JavaScript is then you may have problems. If your like me and have to ask others to help you figure your smart phone out, this may not be a great idea. Since you have to tell the system everything, I can’t translate English to computer coding, ahhhh and or finding my way around the menus.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no experience with apex, but I did a lot research for almost two years before I had to choose my path. And the goal for my path was based on contol, not parameter testing.

GHL won out hands down.

My reserach pointed to experienced long term reefers loving GHL, reefers who seemed to have a strong grasp on the attributes I thought were importent. Longetivity, stabilitiy, accuracy, reliability, easy expansion, no gimmicks.

I dont want flash. I want my controller to last. I dont want ease of use, I want the ability to be intricate. I want my controller to do whatever I want it to do and I’m willing to put the time in to make it so. I want my tank to command space, not my controller.

I dont want bulky orange components.
I want my reef to shine, not my cabinet.
Though ghl can make your cabinet shine(or blink, or glow) too if you care.

A year later, I’m completely satisfied.

My probes are still spot on, my doser is rocking, my ato and awc work flawlessly, i know what my tank is doing at all times, and I have no doubt this equipment is going to last (including my used Mitras that are kicking butt and putting out more par than I need at basic settings).

I have many more programs to come as I grow as a reefer and I know this equipment can do it with no worries about having to buy new stuff in 2 years.

So you can call me a fanboy at this point, but after spending as much time as I do on these forums, I’d be willing to bet a large amount you would be too, if you decide to buck the orange norm and take the plunge into ghl.

This path requires some patience, some intelligence, and some humility.. but if you want a succesful, LONG TERM tank, I suggest you endorse those qualitities.

You dont hear from us GHLer’s much, because we dont have too many issues....

My super biased 2 pennies....
PM me if you're willing to answer a few Q's? I'm in the research phase for a controller. Thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Even though no longer in business, ReefKeeper (RK) controllers are still the best and most reliable out there not to mention the EASE of programming.. Having three tanks, one having Apex 2016, Apex classic and other. . . the ReefKeeper.

For the low cost, it is a die hard that will last several years and there is support by members on this very forum who are familiar with aspects of the RK unit.

I also am Very Happy with the Apex 2016. The Apex EL would also be a good choice

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back