Best ATO?

SilverCityReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! So now that my 40B is up and running, I need to decide on an ATO. The problem is that there are so many options and mixed reviews for all of them. I can't afford a $300-1000 Apex aquarium controller so I need whatever ATO I pick to be reliable and dependable and if it's going fail, I'd like to know it's most commonly in off position. Any input or suggestions is greatly appreciated. Good or bad reviews will help.

ATO's Being Considered:
  • Tunze Nano 3152
  • Tunze 3155
  • IM TI HydroFill w/ Sicce Micro
  • AutoAqua Smart ATO Micro
  • IceCap ATO
  • JBJ ATO Controller w/ Sicce Micro

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I asked a similar question a few years ago, the recommendation was the Tunze Osmolator as being pretty faultless

It has been so far, and I would buy another without hesitation if that’s any help

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of them are awesome and everybody loves theirs until they fail. Osmolator has never reported an issue of failing "on," which is what everybody is looking for - triple redundant safety control with optical eye, float and timer.

ATO is kinda like a heater controller where the failures say more about the product than people who have never had any issues.

OP
OP
SilverCityReef

SilverCityReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Auto Aqua smart ato micro, it’s been running on my tank for 2 hrs now without a single problem. On the other hand I hate my Tunze 3152 nano. Float switch always gets stuck and the pump sounds like a jet engine.

I have heard similar complaints about the sound of Tunze pump and obviously float valves require frequent cleaning. I like the idea of having a backup sensor though like the Tunze 3155.

OP
OP
SilverCityReef

SilverCityReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I asked a similar question a few years ago, the recommendation was the Tunze Osmolator as being pretty faultless

It has been so far, and I would buy another without hesitation if that’s any help

Did you buy the nano 3152 or 3155? Do you notice that pump is loud?
All of them are awesome and everybody loves theirs until they fail. Osmolator has never reported an issue of failing "on," which is what everybody is looking for - triple redundant safety control with optical eye, float and timer.

ATO is kinda like a heater controller where the failures say more about the product than people who have never had any issues.

This is very true and Tunze was my original choice but I'm trying to do research first

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are so many good ones out there. I've been happy with this for ~19 or 20 months. No issues.

49351488_10217682244950689_4888242892511903744_n.jpg

49196476_10217682211149844_5388239379971964928_n.jpg

OP
OP
SilverCityReef

SilverCityReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based off comments already, the Smart ATO and Tunze 3155 are best options.

The full size Tunze. I do not know the number. I have no idea if the pump is loud... my tanks are in the basement and even if I was close, I would not care about a few seconds of pump noise every few hours.

My tank is in my livingroom and I'm not sure if I can find an ATO reservoir that will fit behind sump in stand. I could always swap the pump later on though if it's an issue.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you buy the nano 3152 or 3155? Do you notice that pump is loud?

This is very true and Tunze was my original choice but I'm trying to do research first
The Tunze Osmolator 3155, the big full one and no it’s not loud. Mine is in a reservoir under the tank about 2ft from my chair in my man cave

You can hear it when it pumps water, but I think it does it in 20s bursts (so not all the time to save the pump constantly making minor adjustments). So it’s not ‘on’ very often

The noise isn’t an issue unless you have a very high powered hearing aid in! Lol

NefTunzReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both the Tunze 3155 and the Tunze nano. The 3155 has been very reliable with no issues, however the nano (I own 3 nanos) is the opposite and stopped working reliably. In short, if you go with Tunze, stay away from the nano and get the full size 3155 instead.

dutch27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a JBJ forever with no issues. I ran it on a timer via an old Reefkeeper Lite head unit that would run it for around 20 seconds once a day, so it wouldn't flood the tank if something ever get stuck on.

OP
OP
SilverCityReef

SilverCityReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a JBJ forever with no issues. I ran it on a timer via an old Reefkeeper Lite head unit that would run it for around 20 seconds once a day, so it wouldn't flood the tank if something ever get stuck on.

I've been considering grabbing a RKE and was wondering if it was possible to setup an ATO through that instead. It doesn't seem like you can buy anything new for the RK's so that's what's deterred me so far.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve run the Tunze 3155 for many years without any issues throughout my ownership. You really can’t go wrong with the Tunze 3155. That said, I recently upgraded to the Spectrapure ULPC-ATO with dual pressure sensors (primary and backup), controllable pump speed and Spectrapure’s bombproof peristaltic pump. Not cheap, but I do believe this to be the most bombproof ATO in our hobby today. I made the switch because the pressure tube/sensor set up can not be fouled by kalk, bubbles or precipitation like optical sensors can.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been considering grabbing a RKE and was wondering if it was possible to setup an ATO through that instead. It doesn't seem like you can buy anything new for the RK's so that's what's deterred me so far.
Yes it is and that is what I used as an ATO for my tank. I have a RKL with the SL1 module. You will need a SL1 , SLX or switch box module, open/closed float switch and a way to mount it and a pump. I would do a bad job explaining how to program it bit there are so e good videos on YouTube, BRS did one a while back. Mine has been working great. I also used a JBJ ATO for several years and it was very reliable.

OP
OP
SilverCityReef

SilverCityReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is and that is what I used as an ATO for my tank. I have a RKL with the SL1 module. You will need a SL1 , SLX or switch box module, open/closed float switch and a way to mount it and a pump. I would do a bad job explaining how to program it bit there are so e good videos on YouTube, BRS did one a while back. Mine has been working great. I also used a JBJ ATO for several years and it was very reliable.

Any idea what a good price to pay is for a used RKE with only the 2 PC4's, SL1, & display?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back