Best ATO?

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like pressure sensor style ATOs. They don't tend to get stuck on as much as other sensors imo. The one I use is made by Avast.

JMcNs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Auto Aqua smart ato micro, it’s been running on my tank for 2 yrs now without a single problem. On the other hand I hate my Tunze 3152 nano. Float switch always gets stuck and the pump sounds like a jet engine.
+1 on the ato micro. I've been running one on my im30 for 3 years with kalk and another on my 10gal cube for 2. Both run strong no problems.

Jeff_H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used the Tunze 3155, Tunze nano, Avast pressure switch, and the SpectraPure. I agree with @Even Further, and I think the best one is the SpectraPure because it just works consistently and gives me the least amount of grief.

I know people love the Tunze 3155, but I have two of them right now on QT systems and one of them always seem to overfill the optical sensor and trip the float switch and audible alarm ever 3-4 weeks. I know I could disable the alarm, but I shouldn't have to if the thing worked properly.

The Avast did a great job until I had an issue with the hose going into the pressure sensor and it pumped several gallons of RODI water into a 10-gallon tank in the middle of the night killing several peppermint shrimp I was putting through QT. I would never put the Avast ATO on a Display Tank without some type of backup sensor to kill the pump if the pressure switch fails. The SpectraPure has a backup pressure switch on its own controller so you have redundancy built in. It also uses a peristaltic pump which has better head pressure (if needed), adjustable flow rate, and overall requires less maintenance than others pumps.

I seldom hear of people recommending the SpectraPure, but I can tell you it's one of the most reliable parts of my display tank and best ATO I've used to date. Not the cheapest, but you get what you pay for with this one.

@SilverCityReef - You mentioned a 40B. Regardless of your decision, make sure you account for the width of the rim on the tank. It is difficult to mount the ATO perfectly vertical at the top of the tank without shimming out the switch mechanism away from the rim. I struggled with some 10Bs I originally had for hospital tanks and had to make special brackets and cut back some of the plastic on the rim of the tank so I could fill them to the top of the tank.

Good luck with your decision!

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used the Tunze 3155, Tunze nano, Avast pressure switch, and the SpectraPure. I agree with @Even Further, and I think the best one is the SpectraPure because it just works consistently and gives me the least amount of grief.

I know people love the Tunze 3155, but I have two of them right now on QT systems and one of them always seem to overfill the optical sensor and trip the float switch and audible alarm ever 3-4 weeks. I know I could disable the alarm, but I shouldn't have to if the thing worked properly.

The Avast did a great job until I had an issue with the hose going into the pressure sensor and it pumped several gallons of RODI water into a 10-gallon tank in the middle of the night killing several peppermint shrimp I was putting through QT. I would never put the Avast ATO on a Display Tank without some type of backup sensor to kill the pump if the pressure switch fails. The SpectraPure has a backup pressure switch on its own controller so you have redundancy built in. It also uses a peristaltic pump which has better head pressure (if needed), adjustable flow rate, and overall requires less maintenance than others pumps.

I seldom hear of people recommending the SpectraPure, but I can tell you it's one of the most reliable parts of my display tank and best ATO I've used to date. Not the cheapest, but you get what you pay for with this one.

@SilverCityReef - You mentioned a 40B. Regardless of your decision, make sure you account for the width of the rim on the tank. It is difficult to mount the ATO perfectly vertical at the top of the tank without shimming out the switch mechanism away from the rim. I struggled with some 10Bs I originally had for hospital tanks and had to make special brackets and cut back some of the plastic on the rim of the tank so I could fill them to the top of the tank.

Good luck with your decision!
This!! I regret buying the Tunze, its loud, there is like a gaziollion wires, the sensor is pretty bad etc and so on. Worse purchase I have made thus far. Im going to order the Spectrapure

Jeff_H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This!! I regret buying the Tunze, its loud, there is like a gaziollion wires, the sensor is pretty bad etc and so on. Worse purchase I have made thus far. Im going to order the Spectrapure

I have two Spectrapures on my display tank (N+1 redundancy), a Tunze on my QT, and a nano Tunze on my hospital tank. To date, I would still pick the Spectrapure over the others. They just work and I never have to fiddle with them.

The one possible downside is they don't have an audible alarm if the water level gets too high. I find this useful in my small tanks, but not the display. That said - The main reason for this feature on the smaller tanks is due to the sensors not stopping on time and overfilling. This has never happened to me with the Spectrapures. I do plan to add a water level sensor to kill the outlets via the APEX to catch a runaway ATO, but to date, the two pressure sensors have worked flawlessly.

I still recommend Spectrapure!

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will always be a Tunze osmolator fan, but have heard nothing but excellent things about spectapure units.

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze. Just make sure the sensor goes in a calm spot in your sump by the return. The water adding tube should shoot into the other half. I have had mine for going on 10 years with several of those in actual usage. It just works.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A loud Tunze pump is typically due to an air gap / bubble in the impeller. Need to shake it a bit while it's submerged, then it will go very quiet.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the autotopoff.com dual version. Does everything you want for under $100

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the Tunze 3155 for my AIO 40 gallon Nuvo Fusion mainly on the backs of recommendations and testimonials that it never fails in the on position. I had some initial issues with it overfilling past the optical sensor, but part of that was due to microbubbles from my skimmer and overall turbulence in the center chamber. Once a biofilm developed on the sensor it's been working like a charm ever since. I like the three levels of redundancy. In addition, I believe Roger(?) from Tunze is highly active on the R2R forums here and goes out of his way to help people troubleshoot issues they have with their products. Definitely another plus in my book.

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always go all natural gravity.. float switch attached to five gallon bucket that's higher than the sump. Very cheap setup. If you want mechanical I suggest micro smart aqua ATO I believe it's called I like it better than my tunze 3155

jgaepi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I threw my spectrapure away after 2 weeks. A) They sent no instructions. And no place to find instructions. B) it made a banging sound whenever it refilled. And yes, I ensured everything was aligned. And C) it wouldn't refill to the exact spot. No matter where I placed the pressure gauge.
That being said, I have a Duetto ATO on my nano and it hasn't given an ounce of problems. It just works.

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the Tunze 3155 for my AIO 40 gallon Nuvo Fusion mainly on the backs of recommendations and testimonials that it never fails in the on position. I had some initial issues with it overfilling past the optical sensor, but part of that was due to microbubbles from my skimmer and overall turbulence in the center chamber. Once a biofilm developed on the sensor it's been working like a charm ever since. I like the three levels of redundancy. In addition, I believe Roger(?) from Tunze is highly active on the R2R forums here and goes out of his way to help people troubleshoot issues they have with their products. Definitely another plus in my book.
I feel like after filling an empty ATO bucket and it kicks on it ALWAYS fills passed the sensor.. one of its biggest draw backs which will prevent me from getting another

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I threw my spectrapure away after 2 weeks. A) They sent no instructions. And no place to find instructions. B) it made a banging sound whenever it refilled. And yes, I ensured everything was aligned. And C) it wouldn't refill to the exact spot. No matter where I placed the pressure gauge.
That being said, I have a Duetto ATO on my nano and it hasn't given an ounce of problems. It just works.

I would have happily taken it off you’re hands! :) If you didn’t like it as an ATO, you coulda just left the pressure tube out of the water and repurposed it as a stand alone peristaltic pump. Spectrapure’s peristaltic pumps are as close to lab grade as you’ll get in this hobby while everyone else offers just hobby grade peri pumps.

jgaepi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have happily taken it off you’re hands! :) If you didn’t like it as an ATO, you coulda just left the pressure tube out of the water and repurposed it as a stand alone peristaltic pump. Spectrapure’s peristaltic pumps are as close to lab grade as you’ll get in this hobby while everyone else offers just hobby grade peri pumps.
It was so loud, it woke my kid up. If that is lab grade, I'm worried for laboratories.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 105 80.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.6%
Back