Best Battery Backup

HBoojie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! I’m wondering what is the best bang for buck battery backup? I will have my actual jabao nano pump hooked up to it not a power head. And would it be smart to hook my heating element and controller up as well?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BUMP!

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an IceCap Battery backup with my Wave Engine and I have my controller on a UPS. I get three hours with my return and hydros collective on the ups. If you go the ups route you need to calculate your wattage and how long you want to run on battery. Then you’ll know what to buy.

OP
OP
HBoojie

HBoojie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an IceCap Battery backup with my Wave Engine and I have my controller on a UPS. I get three hours with my return and hydros collective on the ups. If you go the ups route you need to calculate your wattage and how long you want to run on battery. Then you’ll know what to buy.
So noob here lol, what’s a ups? Also I wouldn’t be able to run an ice cap since my return pump is just a normal wall plug, and same with my heater/ controller.

OP
OP
HBoojie

HBoojie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pump specs 110-240V 50/60HZ 20w
My heater is a 100w element. Could you help me pinpoint what I will need to have this run for a 4 hour period?

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So noob here lol, what’s a ups? Also I wouldn’t be able to run an ice cap since my return pump is just a normal wall plug, and same with my heater/ controller.
A ups is an uninterruptible power supply.

For example, here is what I have.

APC UPS, 1500VA UPS Battery Backup & Surge Protector, BX1500M Backup Battery, AVR, Dataline Protection and LCD Display, Back-UPS Pro Uninterruptible Power Supply

OP
OP
HBoojie

HBoojie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A ups is an uninterruptible power supply.

For example, here is what I have.

APC UPS, 1500VA UPS Battery Backup & Surge Protector, BX1500M Backup Battery, AVR, Dataline Protection and LCD Display, Back-UPS Pro Uninterruptible Power Supply
i might as well just snag the same one huh? With my little pump, and 100w heater I should get a couple hours?

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i might as well just snag the same one huh? With my little pump, and 100w heater I should get a couple hours?
Not with a 100 watt heater. You’re looking at roughly an hour at 120 watts. I’m in Florida so I don’t run my heater on a backup.

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on your situation, but a simple battery powered air pump has gotten me through 12+ hours. Flow and lighting are less important than oxygen. Heat is the next most important thing, which a battery backup might be good for, but I only got down to like 72*F since this happened in the summer. That small of a temp drop is really not a big deal.

If possible, I'd suggest a generator if you can swing it, and your environment allows for it. Wayyyy better investment during outages than a battery backup.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 166 61.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 26.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 70 26.1%
Back