Best Brooklynella treatment in the UK?

reefingformysons

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I know Formalin and Ruby Reef are known to be the best Brooklynella treatments but I haven’t been able to find anyone in the UK that supplies them.

Does anyone know the best option in the UK?

I have noticed white marks on one of my clowns in my new main tank and have already treated today for White Spot but know brooks can get deadly pretty quick so want to treat them for it asap.

I don’t have a QT tank so need to try take care of whatever it is in the main tank.

Thanks

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I know Formalin and Ruby Reef are known to be the best Brooklynella treatments but I haven’t been able to find anyone in the UK that supplies them.

I have noticed white marks on one of my clowns in my new main tank and have already treated today for White Spot but know brooks can get deadly pretty quick so want to treat them for it asap.

I don’t have a QT tank so need to try take care of whatever it is in the main tank.

Thanks

Are you confident of the diagnosis? If not, if you post a clear video, I can try to help with that.

Getting true aquarium medications in the UK has proven difficult, None of the antibiotics seem to be available. Amazon UK shows Rally Pro available.

Jay

OP
OP
R

reefingformysons

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you confident of the diagnosis? If not, if you post a clear video, I can try to help with that.

Getting true aquarium medications in the UK has proven difficult, None of the antibiotics seem to be available. Amazon UK shows Rally Pro available.

Jay
i hope it can been seen on camera I don’t have filters for taking photos/videos yet.

It won’t let me post the video for some reason but Iv screenshot a still from it.

But any input would be greatly appreciated

IMG_1349.png

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi guys,

Thanks
For UK, the equivalent of Prazi Pro is NT Labs acriflavine or else waterlife Myxazin

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
i hope it can been seen on camera I don’t have filters for taking photos/videos yet.

It won’t let me post the video for some reason but Iv screenshot a still from it.

IMG_1349.png
Pics are dark in blue coloration. Need white intensity only. Having someone point an LED flashlight at fish while you take pic can sometimes help

OP
OP
R

reefingformysons

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics are dark in blue coloration. Need white intensity only. Having someone point an LED flashlight at fish while you take pic can sometimes help
Are these any better?

Attachments

• IMG_1352.png
    IMG_1352.png
    818.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1351.png
    IMG_1351.png
    811.9 KB · Views: 39

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Are these any better?
Sadly to say, based on size of dots and location including the tail, this is cryptocaryon which is marine ich requiring treatment in a separate quarantine tank with copperpower which is available in UK at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand or Sera brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off

OP
OP
R

reefingformysons

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly to say, based on size of dots and location including the tail, this is cryptocaryon which is marine ich requiring treatment in a separate quarantine tank with copperpower which is available in UK at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand or Sera brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
Would I be allowed to place new corals in the tank or would it have to be clear of them aswell as the fish?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_1349.png

That looks like marine ich. You won't see distinct white spots like that with Brooklynella.

Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Would I be allowed to place new corals in the tank or would it have to be clear of them aswell as the fish?
During Quarantine, you can add coral and inverts only. Do not place fish in there until 6-8 weeks of fishless time frame

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
R

reefingformysons

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I better off moving the fish to a QT tank then emptying out the Main Tank and basically starting again? The only thigg by in there at the moment other then the clownfish is the live rock and live sand.

Would I need new rocks if I was to start again?

skyrne_isk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I better off moving the fish to a QT tank then emptying out the Main Tank and basically starting again? The only thigg by in there at the moment other then the clownfish is the live rock and live sand.

Would I need new rocks if I was to start again?
No. You don’t need new rocks, you just need to have no fish in the system for somewhere north of 45 days. Opinions differ on exactly how long but better safe than sorry. Depending on how many fish, I would move to a bare aquarium with a sponge filter - preferably that’s been in an active system for a couple days to get bacteria on it.

OP
OP
R

reefingformysons

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. You don’t need new rocks, you just need to have no fish in the system for somewhere north of 45 days. Opinions differ on exactly how long but better safe than sorry. Depending on how many fish, I would move to a bare aquarium with a sponge filter - preferably that’s been in an active system for a couple days to get bacteria on it.
But since there’s only fish and Liverock and sand in the tank couldn’t I just start dosing the main tank with copper power for 3 months until the itch dies off before losing the copper power to start reintroducing corals?

skyrne_isk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But since there’s only fish and Liverock and sand in the tank couldn’t I just start dosing the main tank with copper power for 3 months until the itch dies off before losing the copper power to start reintroducing corals?
Not really. The rock and sand will absorb inordinate amounts of copper making effective dosing difficult. And in the future these copper laden rocks and sand would make it likely impossible to keep corals and inverts.

Last edited:

AcroporaUK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

Thanks
PM me and illl send you some ruby

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back