Best bulb to compliment Blue plus?

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to add another t5 supplement and can’t decide what other bulb to go with next to my blue plus. True actinic, purple plus, aqua blue special or another blue plus or...?

What do you think? This is mainly providing coverage to the back of my tank and supplementing some black boxes.

OP
OP
happyhourhero

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should add it’s sharing a timer with all my blues so I was trying to stay in that realm.

Jettareefer223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO Hands down ati actinic lol. I run 4 blue plus, and 2 Ati actinics in my 6 bulb sunpower with a sb bar for 12 months. They aren’t “loud” like the purple plus one doesn’t produce weird cast/color or so bright you can’t enjoy your blue plus. It helps rid the windex look they complement each other well actually produce decent par My apogee meter was even Impressed lol.

I like coral plus as well when I’m in the mood for something brighter, but my tanks shallow coral plus lightens stuff. I just stick with what works for me even with actinic combo I just raised my light up 10” from 8” colors improved. After moving down forgetting for months.

Last edited:

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're trying to keep it blues then I would definitely keep it blue+ or actinic, but I will say I've never really noticed the benefit of running the actinic t5 tubes.. I used to run them often and like the look of them, but for me I saw an improvement when I switched them to blue+ bulbs.

It's pretty much whatever your preference of color is when it comes down to t5 bulbs, they're all great, imo. If you're looking for more actinic color/look go with the actinic. If its mainly for additional coverage go with blue+

Jettareefer223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're trying to keep it blues then I would definitely keep it blue+ or actinic, but I will say I've never really noticed the benefit of running the actinic t5 tubes.. I used to run them often and like the look of them, but for me I saw an improvement when I switched them to blue+ bulbs.

It's pretty much whatever your preference of color is when it comes down to t5 bulbs, they're all great, imo. If you're looking for more actinic color/look go with the actinic. If its mainly for additional coverage go with blue+
Truly the beauty of t5’s is versatility and proven performance. ATI really has get credit though not only for their bulbs, but their fixtures. They are a extremely well manufactured product it’s hard to say often these days. They’ve managed thrive and gain popularity on refining old technology corner the market at global level. With no notable competition, leaders in the industry they pretty much own.

I’ll say this in almost 16 years using xm10/20 radiums lumens on m80’s w/ VHO’s, and full LED systems AI/Radions. I hadn’t experienced the overall what true “growth” was in SPS until I owned my ATI fixture. Color was a curve again came with time still probably best in my career.

Last edited:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back