Best coral dip for most pests?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the best of my knowledge, there is no dip that will kill eggs. You are correct in holding the frags in QT and inspecting for eggs or future "bugs" that may hatch, and then dipping a second or possibly third time.

As stated, I believe the gentlest and most effective dip (and least expensive) is Bayer. I use 1 ml per 100 mls of tank water for 15 minutes, and then rinse two times in tank water baths before reintroducing them. I also remove the frag from any plugs (unless they are plastic) because of the porosity of the plug absorbing dip material and then leaching it back into your tank. This procedure would be true with any dip you'd use.

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any proof other than anecdotal experience that is based on the visual acuity of eyeballs?
Nope! Just those tens of thousands of frags thriving for years after being dipped vigorously :)

Am I saying that in eight years they won't die from being dipped in Bayer? Nope! But all things point towards they will continue to thrive.

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope! Just those tens of thousands of frags thriving for years after being dipped vigorously :)

Am I saying that in eight years they won't die from being dipped in Bayer? Nope! But all things point towards they will continue to thrive.

Except for the ones I dipped. But I must just be an idiot!

If you're going to argue it's the best, back it up! I would bet there's MILLIONS of corals that have been dipped with CoralRX, does that make it better? (and you're using an inferior product!?)

I know what you're saying though, here's a buddies tank and all he uses is bayer..

ubercorals.jpg

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Except for the ones I dipped. But I must just be an idiot!
I'm certainly not implying that, dude! :) I have seen corals not tolerate Bayer well, but not nearly as many issues compared to Revive, RPS All Out, Coral Rx, Peroxide, Iodine...

If you're going to argue it's the best, back it up!
I did in posts #18 and #22.

Anecdotal? Yep. Over a massive sample size? Yep.

Also note I'm not trying to argue, people can use whatever they want. When I first started in the industry the only coral dip used was freshwater :eek: I just don't like seeing misinformation spread, which is what prompted me to post. Overall I believe we're on the same page.

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm certainly not implying that, dude! :) I have seen corals not tolerate Bayer well, but not nearly as many issues compared to Revive, RPS All Out, Coral Rx, Peroxide, Iodine...
I did in posts #18 and #22.
Anecdotal? Yep. Over a massive sample size? Yep.
Also note I'm not trying to argue, people can use whatever they want. When I first started in the industry the only coral dip used was freshwater :eek: I just don't like seeing misinformation spread, which is what prompted me to post. Overall I believe we're on the same page.

No doubt, we're all here to better the care of the corals/fish.
I wish there was more research parties going on for things introduced into the hobby. I just hate seeing so many things based off of nothing but mass anectodal circumstances.. If that was the case alcohol would be "ok with no negatives seen".. Except for the occasional streaking! :D

Whenever someone brings up the tons of corals that are doing fine (because there really are) I can't help but think of the ones I lost. Makes me sad.. :(

Fyi, that pic is plastic corals. lol (there was someone who said pictures would prove bayer was ok, uhh ya...)

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish there was more research parties going on for things introduced into the hobby. I just hate seeing so many things based off of nothing but mass anectodal circumstances.. If that was the case alcohol would be "ok with no negatives seen".. Except for the occasional streaking! :D
I couldn't agree more, unfortunately it's the reality we face. Money for study of fishes goes into food fishes; The world has too many humans and we're in dire need of more food = more important than fish tanks. We're incredibly lucky places like Oceanic Institute of Hawaii have received funding for ornamentals and turned it into aquacultured fishes (yellow tang, potters angel, etc.).

The same can be said for coral, where much of the funding nowadays goes into understanding how they're affected by ocean acidification.

Richard takes a hard look at anecdote in our hobby here. Be sure to note the last paragraph regarding it being necessary in our hobby due to the aforementioned ($).

BluewaterLa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure there may be some long term damage done from several coral dips to certain corals either life span or genetic, etc.
In this case a long term study would have to be done with two samples of same coral frags, one dipped in Bayer and the other not dipped at all. Both to be kept in the same tank same conditions to see after a few years if there were any visual differences. Possibly samples sent to a willing and capable lab to take a look into cell structure among other things like a chemical analysis of the two tissue and calcified portions looking for evidence of toxins.

I know that we all have our own ways of doing things in this wonderful hobby, do what you are comfortable with doing or using. Never be closed minded to possibilities as I've learned through two decades in this hobby, things are ever changing including what we treat our reefs with for bacteria all the way to adding evil nitrate and phosphates when needed.
Good luck to all and happy reefing
BluewaterLa / mike

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using bayer as a coral dip is in violation of federal law.
It's also provoking insecticide-resistant strains of arthropods.(red bugs)
Aside from all of that, the probable harm to corals is pretty high. I myself saw necrosis quite often.

Otherwise perhaps hydrogen peroxide might harm the eggs, manual removal or transfer of the frag is best.

There are no arthropods living through a properly done bayer dip. We're not creating some super bug here...

I've been dipping corals for nearly 20 years now and Bayer is by far the mildest on the corals of all the options on the market. If a coral dies from a bayer dip it is very likely it was going to die from revive, lugols or coral RX as well.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using bayer as a coral dip is in violation of federal law.
It's also provoking insecticide-resistant strains of arthropods.(red bugs)
Aside from all of that, the probable harm to corals is pretty high. I myself saw necrosis quite often.

Otherwise perhaps hydrogen peroxide might harm the eggs, manual removal or transfer of the frag is best.

Seriously, stop with this nonsense already.

You are doing a great disservice to this Hobby by telling people not to use something that has been proven effective!

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's obvious you do not like Bayer as a dip, but stop spreading misinformation. [HASHTAG]#wheresthedata[/HASHTAG]

After personally seeing tens of thousands of frags go through Bayer unscathed, I'm not sure how 'probable harm to corals being high' can even be whispered.

+1 Well said.

He seems to think Bayer Killed some Corals which it didn't.

His Anti-Bayer Thread was Hysterical though Sad and Bad for the Hobby.

Where he comes up with this information nobody knows.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to avoid the Bayer (as it is banned in some states) I use a pretty good mixture to dip. I use Coral Rx, Lugols, and Flatworm exit. I circulate them in the dip for a good ten minutes. If I suspect any nudis or eggs, I redip days later.

Just Curios, which States is Bayer Banned in :(

Last edited:

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dip everything. Just for precaution sake.

Nothing (And I Mean Nothing) Goes into my Tanks without an Aggressive Bayer Dip.

I had Corals Die in the Bag Overnight because I was too Tired to Dip Them After a Frag Swap.

It is not worth Not Dipping and Getting Pests in your Aquarium!

I cannot Stress that Enough.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any proof other than anecdotal experience that is based on the visual acuity of eyeballs?

You have Already been Told this a Zillion Times by a Zillion Different People.

Bayer has been used for Over 6 Years Now and Nobody has ever had a Problem with it!

That is Your Proof!

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wow. That is alot of Proof!

Where is his Proof.

Oh Yeah, He doesn't have any Proof.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No doubt, we're all here to better the care of the corals/fish.

Whenever someone brings up the tons of corals that are doing fine (because there really are) I can't help but think of the ones I lost. Makes me sad.. :(

Fyi, that pic is plastic corals. lol (there was someone who said pictures would prove bayer was ok, uhh ya...)

Something Else Killed Your Coral.

Stop Telling People it was Bayer because it Wasn't!

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Bayer has to be the best sps dip, but theres a catch for me. I use bayer for "mini" or "larger" sps colonys just because i know for sure itll dig deeper for me. I like to inspect every nookncranny of the coral just because i got slammed with possibly every pest in the past before. I just dont like how i cant see(just pour it in till milky white). I like to see the pests that come off so i can determine wether to sacrifice or qt or not lol. Im sorry guys, but 10 drops of lugols in 2 cups of water for a 2 minute bathe by far kills everything on site withen seconds.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
And for bacterial lps infections/dieng i use potassium chloride. Needs to be 1500-2000 ppm in w.e amount of water your using. Its also very cost effective to use. For some reason i never lost an lps that was currently declining using this method.

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@that Reef Guy go ahead and ignore me, please. :)

The fact remains, you're being quite childish telling me 'it wasn't bayer that killed the corals'.
That shows just how much you actually care, and again, you have no proof that bayer doesn't do anything. Just because you can't see it with your eyes doesn't make it ok.
You think bacteria is real? You think cancer is real? But you don't believe that a pesticide could ever be a problem for corals? Even if it's studied actively in different marine labs around the world? (the whole, what is pesticides doing to our reefs)
You must not think twice about it?

How about you come down from your high-horse, get a backbone, and accept the fact that there COULD be something going on that you can't see?

I bet you even tell people you care about the creatures in our tanks. Just not my tank when it's challenging the validity of bayer. Right?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 171 67.6%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back