Best coral dip for most pests?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize @tcarter1936 , but my response had absolutely nothing to do with your post. In fact, I'd be more concerned with dumping the saltwater around your yard than the minuscule amount of Bayer it contains. Realize people "dump" that entire bottle of insecticide around their yard in one application. So your Bayer application is squat.

My response is directed at a small group of Bayer nay-sayers who think this "mis-use" is the worst thing that could happen. They feel that because there has been no scientific studies directly with corals that is must be bad. My only request is show me one scientific paper showing the safety and efficacy of any of the "commercial" coral dips. They too are poisons, but not a stitch of research has been published about their safety and efficacy.

Again, nothing about you.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a question from those living in a concrete jungle. Walking two blocks to dump the insecticide in Central Park doesn't sound like a good idea. @redfishbluefish points out the concentration is so low, it's fine down the drain. Coral RX ingredients say a "blend of natural ingredients" so I wondered if that was more friendly down the drain.

I'm going to give you a story more than you want to hear. Bayer is more or less a "blend of natural ingredients" that have been slightly modified and made in the lab. It contains ingredients very similar to Chrysanthemum extract and an extract of tobacco tea.....natural. These extracts have been used by farmers and gardeners for hundreds of years. I have a direct connection to the Chrysanthemum extract part in that my father (also a chemist) worked for a small chemical company on Long Island in the 40's and 50's and actually traveled into NYC to the docks to pick up bales of Chrysanthemum flowers so that they could bring them back to the lab to extract the pyrethrins that were sold to be used in insecticides. This was before they had the wherewithal to synthesis the chemicals in a large scale operation. Eventually they figured all that out and optimized the chemicals and that's what you now find in Bayer......almost natural. :D

tcarter1936

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize @tcarter1936 , but my response had absolutely nothing to do with your post. In fact, I'd be more concerned with dumping the saltwater around your yard than the minuscule amount of Bayer it contains. Realize people "dump" that entire bottle of insecticide around their yard in one application. So your Bayer application is squat.

My response is directed at a small group of Bayer nay-sayers who think this "mis-use" is the worst thing that could happen. They feel that because there has been no scientific studies directly with corals that is must be bad. My only request is show me one scientific paper showing the safety and efficacy of any of the "commercial" coral dips. They too are poisons, but not a stitch of research has been published about their safety and efficacy.

Again, nothing about you.
Of course there would be no studies lol.
Bayer wouldn't care to waste their time on studying the effects on corals no more than the makers of coral dips would waste time studying the effects on my lawn. P.s. I also use my skimmate in my vegetable garden. I've observed no I'll effect of the salt but it's got good drainage[emoji33]

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know everyone has their opinions on what works for them. But since I'm new to this I'm going with one of THE great experts on reefing, Julian Sprung. It was on r2r or maybe nano-reef but he stated the ONLY dip he ever used - always successfully - was Revive. Nothing else. That says it all for me.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know everyone has their opinions on what works for them. But since I'm new to this I'm going with one of THE great experts on reefing, Julian Sprung. It was on r2r or maybe nano-reef but he stated the ONLY dip he ever used - always successfully - was Revive. Nothing else. That says it all for me.

You do realize he owns the company. I'd have more issue if he wasn't using his own products! :D

Gools

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used melafix for years. I have Bayer only thing I don't like about Bayer is you can't see to the bottom unless you use a clear container.

Cali9dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bayer is my dip of choice.

Other options I've used:
Revive
Coral Rx

I’ve been using Bayer for 5 years...have used those other 2 as well. So far I’ve experienced no issues using Bayer at all. But I guess success with Bayer is a fluke and failure when using Bayer is strictly attributed to Bayer. What attributes to 5 years of using Bayer with no coral casualties ?? Oh wait...hurricane Irma wiped out my tank, I mean it all died because I used Bayer ! dang !!

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just had to dip my gold indo torch twice as I found a type of flatworm camped out around its base. I lost an amazing black torch probably due to the same before I knew there was such a thing. Oddly enough, they don't touch my green torches.

Anywho, at we two strong dips it's coming back nicely and extending as well.

#dipeverything

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just had to dip my gold indo torch twice as I found a type of flatworm camped out around its base. I lost an amazing black torch probably due to the same before I knew there was such a thing. Oddly enough, they don't touch my green torches.

Anywho, at we two strong dips it's coming back nicely and extending as well.

#dipeverything
What dip did you use?

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are no arthropods living through a properly done bayer dip. We're not creating some super bug here...

I've been dipping corals for nearly 20 years now and Bayer is by far the mildest on the corals of all the options on the market. If a coral dies from a bayer dip it is very likely it was going to die from revive, lugols or coral RX as well.
Just seeing this. As someone who has done frontline research in medicine, you cannot state that a medical treatment will not select for genetic variants with biochemical features resistant to the chemical cocktail (i.e., promote drug resistance). The consistent application of any drug over time will do this - natural selection here.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 38 73.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back