Best coral dip for most pests?

Lovemycj7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote Bauer qt then redip and observation before display. Would also mount to new plugs if possible

Lovemycj7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also use revive and seachem dip after Bayer. Never lost a coral because of dipping

serenade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I'm new to the idea of dipping corals, I don't want to use ANY pesticides which including a quarantine tank would be the best suggestions? Never used coral rx, lugals has been my go to. Along with a natural cleanup crew that includes a mandarin and pipe fish in both my quarantine tank and my display.

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the above. I've had good results with lugol's and coralRX. I'd prefer to use the more intensive treatment of the others are ineffective. As for the debate about Bayer, if you have luck with it good for you. I'd still prefer not to use it unless it's my last resort.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to use ANY pesticides
I'd still prefer not to use it unless it's my last resort.
Just curious... Why not? It's the most gentle, most forgiving, yet most effective solution.
No one, not even kungpao, has killed their coral because of a bayer dip.

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm apprehensive. I'm not dogging those that have used it successfully, just saying I'd rather not unless I have to. Years ago when I was keeping sps we used freshwater with iodine dips which ended up causing some necrosis so I was overjoyed that there were developed dips for the trade when I came back.

Use what you wish, they're your corals anyhow. I'd just rinse and rinse and rinse afterwards.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious... Why not? It's the most gentle, most forgiving, yet most effective solution.

There are people that eat organic foods just to not be exposed to tiny traces of the stuff we're dipping our corals in. I use it because I think it's a good dip, but if I was dipping corals regularly I would not want to use it since I'm pretty certain excessive exposure is not a good thing. It's poison and I don't blame anyone for not wanting to use it for that reason.

serenade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually do eat mostly organic and all natural, feed my dogs the same way. A major problem for me is I'm allergic to most pesticides and antibiotics so I don't want to put that back into even my quarantine tank.
Luckily I haven't found too many reef additives that cause major reactions however I have switched to nutri seawater because I've developed issues with some salt mixes.
So for me I really prefer to stay as natural as possible. Mandarins, pipe fish, butterflies, and cleanup crew.

serenade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm allergic to most pesticides and antibiotics so don't want to add even traces of something that could cause a reaction if there's anyway to avoid it.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm allergic to most pesticides and antibiotics so don't want to add even traces of something that could cause a reaction if there's anyway to avoid it.
That makes sense, and why I was asking. :)

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm sorry d2, but you are incorrect. After I stopped using it, I saw a reduction on necrosis. Don't pretend like I'm just an idiot to pass it off that bayer might not have played a factor. That's pretty unprogressive for the hobby, which we're all here for correct?

I find it funny the same crap being flung over and over in support of bayer. I was there once, until I realized one factor I never considered, the dip I was using.

If you want to throw me under the bus, that's on you and shows your character, but I'm here trying to make people think. That's progressive AND positive.

You want to bash people? Bash people who setup a tank and throw in corals all in the same day, that's really inappropriate.

Even stunreefer says 'I've seen some corals not tolerate it well'. Boy, I wonder why that might be? But fact of the matter is, don't act like I'm the only one. It's like some people get offended because I question their choices or such.

Even one person has a thread right now of 'baffled about sps bleaching'. And through all the posts, the one thing people aren't looking at? The freakin coral dip he's using is bayer!?! Could there be a connection? Idk, but if it's never taken seriously as a possible link and people like you, who's a mod, like another individual, ONLY bash the people questioning it, where does that lead us?

I'm thinking of the coral, not you.

Last edited:

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry d2, but you are incorrect. After I stopped using it, I saw a reduction on necrosis. Don't pretend like I'm just an idiot to pass it off that bayer might not have played a factor. That's pretty unprogressive for the hobby, which we're all here for correct?

I find it funny the same crap being flung over and over in support of bayer. I was there once, until I realized one factor I never considered, the dip I was using.

If you want to throw me under the bus, that's on you and shows your character, but I'm here trying to make people think. That's progressive AND positive.

You want to bash people? Bash people who setup a tank and throw in corals all in the same day, that's really inappropriate.

Even stunreefer says 'I've seen some corals not tolerate it well'. Boy, I wonder why that might be? But fact of the matter is, don't act like I'm the only one. It's like some people get offended because I question their choices or such.

Even one person has a thread right now of 'baffled about sps bleaching'. And through all the posts, the one thing people aren't looking at? The freakin coral dip he's using is bayer!?! Could there be a connection? Idk, but if it's never taken seriously as a possible link and people like you, who's a mod, like another individual, ONLY bash the people questioning it, where does that lead us?

RAWR!!!!

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There we're no other variables in the reduction of the necrosis you saw? Of course there were... However, you're determined to blame the dip, to the extent that you're making some big leaps from some research done on pesticides and aquatic animals. Loosely interpreted research that is misapplied as well as conclusions made based on a small sample of anecdotal evidence are some of the most harmful things to this hobby. You're guilty of both and therefore I deem you "unprogressive", but I digress :p

JayTT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive never used bayer so i really cant comment but my preferred dip solution is Reefprimer from polyp lab not cheap but very good

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using bayer as a coral dip is in violation of federal law.

Would you please expand upon this? Also please provide a citation so we can read it to understand better your warning.

I don't have any coral and wont for at least a few months so I don't have a dog in this race. I can, however, answer this question.

If you look at your bottle/bag under directions for use is say "It is a violation of Federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling. Before use, read and follow all label directions. For Outdoor residential use only"

Since this product doesn't have explicit directions on how to use it as a coral dip (and never will because that involves dissolving it in water which is expected to be dumped down a drain) it is against the law to use it as such. This law applies to all chemical herbicides and pesticides.

That said, I doubt any hobiest has ever been put in handcuffs for using Bayer in this way. If I owned a LFS or some other commercial venture I would be hesitant to use Bayer for this reason.

Neptune1707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm always fascinated by the idea of using insecticide to dip our corals for pests!!! I mean it goes against all logical!!! We all spend thousands of dollars on equipment, getting the water parameters just perfect and consistent, perfect temp, perfect lighting etc......"yeah sure go ahead and throw that coral frag in a vat of chemicals and let it soak....it'll be fine!!!" LOL

fab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look at your bottle/bag under directions for use is say "It is a violation of Federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling. Before use, read and follow all label directions. For Outdoor residential use only"
Does this mean that if I use this product outdoors in my residential area for dipping my corals that I have complied with and not violated Federal Law?
fab

den75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm always fascinated by the idea of using insecticide to dip our corals for pests!!! I mean it goes against all logical!!! We all spend thousands of dollars on equipment, getting the water parameters just perfect and consistent, perfect temp, perfect lighting etc......"yeah sure go ahead and throw that coral frag in a vat of chemicals and let it soak....it'll be fine!!!" LOL
And all those thousands of dollars and all that time will be wasted when you don't dip and introduce all sorts of nasty organisms to your tank.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 132 74.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back