Best coral dip for most pests?

acolotto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like we got a flat earther in our midsts!

Bayer all day, i just recently started using it and the amount of stuff it gets when compared to other coral dips will blow your mind. Ive seen flatworms, crabs, pods, etc. all make it through coral RX, one dip in bayer they gone! Best way to stay pest free is bayer, if you will not use Bayer, coral Rx will work but a quarantine system is a must, as it will not kill all the pests.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm sorry d2, but you are incorrect. After I stopped using it, I saw a reduction on necrosis. Don't pretend like I'm just an idiot to pass it off that bayer might not have played a factor. That's pretty unprogressive for the hobby, which we're all here for correct?

I find it funny the same crap being flung over and over in support of bayer. I was there once, until I realized one factor I never considered, the dip I was using.

If you want to throw me under the bus, that's on you and shows your character, but I'm here trying to make people think. That's progressive AND positive.

You want to bash people? Bash people who setup a tank and throw in corals all in the same day, that's really inappropriate.

Even stunreefer says 'I've seen some corals not tolerate it well'. Boy, I wonder why that might be? But fact of the matter is, don't act like I'm the only one. It's like some people get offended because I question their choices or such.

Even one person hait. a thread right now of 'baffled about sps bleaching'. And through all the posts, the one thing people aren't looking at? The freakin coral dip he's using is bayer!?! Could there be a connection? Idk, but if it's never taken seriously as a possible link and people like you, who's a mod, like another individual, ONLY bash the people questioning it, where does that lead us?

I'm thinking of the coral, not you.
Do you have any proof other than anecdotal experience that is based on the visual acuity of eyeballs?
Sorry bro, but your experience was so called anectodal as well. And quite frankly, theres most likely not 1 lab test on corals that was done to even contradict your statement. So this is pure 100% anecdotal for everyone, and to be honest its one main reasons to why these test get done in the future. Theres no way anyone or even myself including you, can point a finger on necrosis or even 95% of the things that go on in this hobby without taking it to a lab. Bayer contains, an ingredient that is known to be toxic to fish and invertebrates + little to humans thats it. Bayer is trusted and tryed, the best part about all this. The distributers and wholesale i guarentee you, atleast 90 percent of all their coral colonys that are/were dipped, are/were dipped in bayer.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this mean that if I use this product outdoors in my residential area for dipping my corals that I have complied with and not violated Federal Law?
fab
Umm... no. Technically, if your spreader isn't set to the correct setting or you don't dose according to the bottle you are breaking the law. This is one reason I wouldn't worry about it. The law is so poorly worded it would be almost impossible to start enforcing.

serenade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so then as the original poster asked what so that there are options depending on personal situation and feeling are the best coral dips? Both available made specifically for corals and off label uses?
And GO!

Natural method (no dipping):

Non pesticide dipping:

Pesticide dips:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm sorry d2, but you are incorrect. After I stopped using it, I saw a reduction on necrosis. Don't pretend like I'm just an idiot to pass it off that bayer might not have played a factor. That's pretty unprogressive for the hobby, which we're all here for correct?

I find it funny the same crap being flung over and over in support of bayer. I was there once, until I realized one factor I never considered, the dip I was using.

If you want to throw me under the bus, that's on you and shows your character, but I'm here trying to make people think. That's progressive AND positive.

You want to bash people? Bash people who setup a tank and throw in corals all in the same day, that's really inappropriate.

Even stunreefer says 'I've seen some corals not tolerate it well'. Boy, I wonder why that might be? But fact of the matter is, don't act like I'm the only one. It's like some people get offended because I question their choices or such.

Even one person has a thread right now of 'baffled about sps bleaching'. And through all the posts, the one thing people aren't looking at? The freakin coral dip he's using is bayer!?! Could there be a connection? Idk, but if it's never taken seriously as a possible link and people like you, who's a mod, like another individual, ONLY bash the people questioning it, where does that lead us?

I'm thinking of the coral, not you.
I'm sorry. Where exactly did you think d2mini bashed you? Could you please define what you think "bashing" means. I don't think you define it the way most of us do.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Okay so then as the original poster asked what so that there are options depending on personal situation and feeling are the best coral dips? Both available made specifically for corals and off label uses?
And GO!

Natural method (no dipping):

Non pesticide dipping:

Pesticide dips:
Bayer is my dip of choice.

Other options I've used:
Revive
Coral Rx

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certain dips are much better than others for certain corals. I do not believe any dip will kill all bugs every dip though. I have seen so many collectors get some kind of bug even using Bayer. I have stopped using Bayer recently but not for any other reason other than wanting to see what's in the dip and not wanting to worry about gloves and such.

Kungpaoshizi, what exactly was happening to your acros to make you believe the Bayer had caused stn or rtn? I had a number of odd necrosis using Bayer with wild colonys and maricultures. I haven't had any since switching over to regular dips.

Melafix is my go to for anything that has acro eating flatworms. It is very easy on corals and great for killing aefw. Plus you can see everything falling off in the water. Very clear.
Bayer did not work well for nudis for me. I use a combination of things with flatworm exit for nudis.
Lugol's is used for anything looking like it's got bacterial infection issues.
Revive I use for my main quick dip for new coming pieces just to see what comes off.
I use another tank on the same system to qt new acro shipments which is not 100% but odds are slim to none and corals do so much better transitioning to the display and acclimating to a more stable tank. I don't worry about bugs anymore since interceptor is back. Also why I don't use Bayer. Plus I think some bugs can burrow in to the coral slime or flesh and survive a Bayer dip and quickly repopulate if put right into the display. The odds of this happening are small but I do think it happens more often than we think.

Darth George

View Badges
Reaction score
East of the West Coast, West of the East Coast.
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are people that eat organic foods just to not be exposed to tiny traces of the stuff we're dipping our corals in. I use it because I think it's a good dip, but if I was dipping corals regularly I would not want to use it since I'm pretty certain excessive exposure is not a good thing. It's poison and I don't blame anyone for not wanting to use it for that reason.
You make valid points. Everyone says safe for corals, but what about YOU! Can't keep a reef if you're dead....

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two quick questions.

1. Proper disposal of Bayer seem critical. For people living in highrise condos or apartments, can Coral Rx be disposed of 'down the drain'? I don't know how I can properly dispose of Bayer.

2. I assume most of this is SPS focused. Are people using lower doses of Bayer on their LPS or preferring another dip for LPS?

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Proper disposal of Bayer seem critical. For people living in highrise condos or apartments, can Coral Rx be disposed of 'down the drain'? I don't know how I can properly dispose of Bayer.

So NYC has a safe disposal event every month. You could hold onto for a month then deliver it to them, but something that's wastewater treatment safe is preferred.

tcarter1936

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So NYC has a safe disposal event every month. You could hold onto for a month then deliver it to them, but something that's wastewater treatment safe is preferred.
I use my Bayer water on my yard around perimeter of my house. Two birds one stone. Just don't see why I would want to put it down a drain instead of using it as intended.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, the concentration of active ingredients is very low....which is further diluted in the mix of 1 ml to 100 mls of tank water.....and now you pour that down the drain of millions of gallons....and to top it off, it's stability is most likely broken down before it even gets to the sewage treatment plant, and even if by some weird chance it made it through the plant....at parts per quadrillion.....and not detectable or effective as an insecticide, it's going to do squat. Dump it down the drain. Now I'm waiting for the nay-sayers to attack me. My question to you is what do you do with the Coral RX or Revive when you use these dips....or better yet the gallon or more of cleaner you just used to clean your kitchen floor.....what do you do with that? Please!!!! And FYI, I worked as an evironmental consultant for a number of years for water treatment and sewage treatment plants (and golf courses).

I am more concerned about using Bayer per label instructions because of Beehive collapse. And yes, any insecticide or drug used outside labeled instructions is a federal offense. Now lets look at CP (chloroquine phosphate) for ich, or more recently fluconazole for Bryopsis......to mention two....the federal criminals we have here are unbelievable.

Let's get real people!!!

Last edited:

tcarter1936

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, the concentration of active ingredients is very low....which is further diluted in the mix of 1 ml to 100 mls of tank water.....and now you pour that down the drain of millions of gallons....and to top it off, it's stability is most likely broken down before it even gets to the sewage treatment plant, and even if by some weird chance it made it through the plant....at parts per quadrillion.....and not detectable or effective as an insecticide, it's going to do squat. Dump it down the drain. Now I'm waiting for the nay-sayers to attack me. My question to you is what do you do with the Coral RX or Revive when you use these dips....or better yet the gallon or more of cleaner you just used to clean your kitchen floor.....what do you do with that? Please!!!! And FYI, I worked as an evironmental consultant for a number of years for water treatment and sewage treatment plants (and golf courses).
Not sure if I struck a nerve there. However I should also state I'm not on sewage and am ignorant of any effects this may have on my rather small septic system and leech field. I was merely stating to use the leftover as insecticide more out of being practical than feeling I was destroying the earth.
I do see some irony in people trying to figure out what to do with insecticide[emoji362]
(How about killing insects) just saying.
Happy reefing .

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do see some irony in people trying to figure out what to do with insecticide[emoji362]
(How about killing insects) just saying.
Happy reefing .

It was a question from those living in a concrete jungle. Walking two blocks to dump the insecticide in Central Park doesn't sound like a good idea. @redfishbluefish points out the concentration is so low, it's fine down the drain. Coral RX ingredients say a "blend of natural ingredients" so I wondered if that was more friendly down the drain.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 171 67.6%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back