Best DE Filter for 400 gal

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read about it pushing out DE into the tank after the loading of DE and transfer into the tank. Have you had this issue? Anything to do to prevent this?

I have never experienced this issue myself. Have been using it for about 18 months now. I use it identical to @reefwiser demonstrates on his R2R video.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I saw those, but still really bulky and wouldn’t fit where I needed them to. (Although this one doesn’t either now. lol) I was hoping to make it slim enough to fit behind my tank, but that’s not happening.

That guy had a quite ingenious way of restoring the DE powder using an intermediate sump. I went as far as buying the unit but have never actually installed it LOL.

OP
OP
PhantomHalo

PhantomHalo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That guy had a quite ingenious way of restoring the DE powder using an intermediate sump. I went as far as buying the unit but have never actually installed it LOL.
Yeah, I really like the design and concept. Just didn’t plan to have the room for it. Plus, this was about $250 for everything. Maybe slightly more with the fittings. I also didn’t like the idea of running that size pump for extended periods. This required a smaller pump that is much more doable for extended periods.

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost pulled the trigger and did the same type of set up you are referring to. @robert i believe is who detailed it. Close to getting the new set up running and will watch and see. Might still consider it if I see a need. Have the ability with current setup to filter down to 20 microns if I want. Also using DT in QT/conditioning system. One thing to note is that many of the parasite hang out at the bottom of the ya k when not attached to fish so make sure that bottom water is moving so your DE filter can capture it.

OP
OP
PhantomHalo

PhantomHalo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost pulled the trigger and did the same type of set up you are referring to. @robert i believe is who detailed it. Close to getting the new set up running and will watch and see. Might still consider it if I see a need. Have the ability with current setup to filter down to 20 microns if I want. Also using DT in QT/conditioning system. One thing to note is that many of the parasite hang out at the bottom of the ya k when not attached to fish so make sure that bottom water is moving so your DE filter can capture it.
The flow in my tank is pretty good. I’m definitely going to redirect some of the power heads to kick it up more. Need to get as many up as possible. The intake I made isn’t as long as I wanted it. The store was out of the 12” pieces to drill holes into. I was wanting to have intakes at all levels in the tank or at least as much as I could. So I went with the T at the bottom to help pull the majority from around the bottom.

OP
OP
PhantomHalo

PhantomHalo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the lights come on I’ll try to get one. I wish I got the clear housing filter, but the one I got was a bit cheaper and confirmed mostly no metal. There is. A pressure relief valve that has a stainless steel pin that is exposed, but no copper at all.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to note is that many of the parasite hang out at the bottom of the ya k when not attached to fish so make sure that bottom water is moving so your DE filter can capture it.

Interesting, so you keep a Yak in your tanks to attract parasites :). Must be tough on the biofilter though.

OP
OP
PhantomHalo

PhantomHalo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, short 6 minute video if I can get it to load. First time doing one of these. Any questions, please ask!

edit: Can’t get it to upload because it says it’s too big.YouTube won’t let me in because it says I need to allow it access to my mic and camera. I do that and it still gives me the same issue. Not sure what’s going on. Will try again tomorrow or maybe trim down the video.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s see if my Flickr account will work on here. Please let me know if it’s not working or having trouble viewing it and I’ll try to use a different site.

It’s a no go for me. Just a black square on the page. Clicking it does nothing. Maybe others can? I’m viewing from my phone (iPhone 7+).

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 65 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back