Best DE Filter for 400 gal

PhantomHalo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I have been reading up on DE filters and their benefits, but can’t find one that is large enough. I like the thought of the marine land polishing filter, but it says it’s only good up to 97 gallons. Way too small for my tank. I could buy two, but I don’t know how effective it will be. Thoughts?

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a 400g tank you would want to build your own DE filter. Be aware this is something that you would use for a few hours maybe once a week. For a big tank you would build a skid pad. You get a DE pool filter. You would want a large pool pump (that is safe for salt water) and usually a big pleated filter before the DE Filter. The easiest way is to setup a 'prime' tank. This is a trash can, or tank, large enough to fill and prime the filter skid. Once it's primed then you add the DE to the prime tank slowly. This will let you slowly coat the filter fingers in the DE filter. Once you get crystal clear water in the prime tank then you shut it down. Add the pleated filter and then move the flexible pool hoses to your tank. Flip the switch. Within a couple of hours your tank will be sparkling. If you run the filter for a few minutes every day to keep the water from going nasty then you can use the DE maybe 2 or 3x before having to dump and reprime.

OP
OP
PhantomHalo

PhantomHalo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean add the pleated filter? As in, prime it outside of the housing? Won’t the powder fall off once suction is no longer present? Sorry for my ignorance. I’m just having a hard time visualizing. Been reading up on them all night. What is a skid pad too btw?

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pleated filter is a mechanical filter. They look kind of like a great big stainless steel lipstick. Inside it has a pleated paperfilter. This collects/filters out the big particulate matter. The DE is super fine powder. So when you pull the water through it its basically sucking everything to the outer side of the DE. If the big fish crap and detritus gets to the DE then it's just going to 'pack up' that much faster and not be filtering out the super fine particulate - which is what you want to 'polish' the water. Yes you prime the filter buy running it and slowly adding the DE material so that it builds up inside the filter. Once it coats the filter when you shut off the pump and close the in/out valves the DE will stick to the filter -- Asssuming you don't drag it up a stair case. A skid pad is basically a rolling platform for the filter - The pump, the mechanical and the DE. Once you put these together you are talking about something the size of an Airlines food cart. Putting it on a skid pad lets you roll the filter in and out of the house easily as needed. And especially outside to empty it -- Which is going to be a big mess.

OP
OP
PhantomHalo

PhantomHalo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. So it’s not something I’ll be able to store/use under the tank? Can you use a whole home style filter instead of the large pool filters? If so, how do you know when you have enough DE coating on the filter? Thanks for all the help btw!!

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I have been reading up on DE filters and their benefits, but can’t find one that is large enough. I like the thought of the marine land polishing filter, but it says it’s only good up to 97 gallons. Way too small for my tank. I could buy two, but I don’t know how effective it will be. Thoughts?
How about this DE, self cleaning

81jRjVm1nNL._SY606_.jpg

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. So it’s not something I’ll be able to store/use under the tank? Can you use a whole home style filter instead of the large pool filters? If so, how do you know when you have enough DE coating on the filter? Thanks for all the help btw!!
I use diy 4.5" x 20" whole house canister filter, 24/7, hooked up on discharge of return pump.

$_35.jpeg

OP
OP
PhantomHalo

PhantomHalo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use diy 4.5" x 20" whole house canister filter, 24/7, hooked up on discharge of return pump.

$_35.jpeg

How do you prime it? How much do you use? How often do you change it? I was looking at doing something similar. I like the above pool filter that you posted. However, I’m afraid it might be too big to fit under my tank. (300gal DT, 100gal sump) I may be able to just hook it up and run it temporarily on the side of my tank as a stand alone system when needed. I am trying to curb an ich outbreak in my DT.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you prime it? How much do you use? How often do you change it? I was looking at doing something similar. I like the above pool filter that you posted. However, I’m afraid it might be too big to fit under my tank. (300gal DT, 100gal sump) I may be able to just hook it up and run it temporarily on the side of my tank as a stand alone system when needed. I am trying to curb an ich outbreak in my DT.
I will try to describe how I recharge the filter best I can let me know if I lose you somewhere. Like I mention the filter inlet is connected to the discharge on the return pump and there's 3 ball valves, one valve right at the discharge of the pump, number 2 is at the outlet of the DE filter , the number 2 ball valve stops the water flowing into the tank, so on the outlet of the DE filter there is a PVC T, so on the T you have valve number 2 and valve number 3 ,number 3 valve is to help recharge the DE filter

Before I explain how to recharge the do-it-you rself DE filter, you will need this,
5 gallon bucket, extention cords, small pump 300gph, 6 foot vinyl hose 3/4, 2 foot vinyl hose 3/4.
2 -3/4 hose barb fittings , each barb will go on the number 3 valve and the other Barb will go on the suction of the return pump
NOTE, I have 4 filter cartridges Ready to use on the filter every two weeks maybe 3 weeks. When cartridges are dirty I go to the car wash with high pressure water I clean them out and they're reusable again.

Here's how I recharge my filter, on the return pump , 5-gallon bucket fill halfway, dump the pump into the bucket and power it up. Then connect the two foot vinyl hose to the number 3 ball the other end of the two feet vinyl is in the five gallon bucket, at this time number 3 ball valve is closed and number 2 valve is open going to the tank then the 6ft piece of vinyl hose one end of it will be in your sump or wherever your return pump is. The other end of the 6ft vinyl Will connect to the pump that is in the 5-gallon bucket. Hopefully I didn't miss anything so far. So now you close valve number one and and valve number 2 close it, remove filter cartridge from Whole House filter and install new one, open valve number one by return pump , check for leaks around filter housing and open release valve on Whole house filter to remove air. There may be very little air that's okay now we're ready to recharge

NOTE, 1/2 CUP DE MATERIAL, BUT WHEN DEALING WITH POWDER, GO OUTSIDE, PUT POWDER IN EMPTY CONTAINER, WITH AQUARIUM WATER MIX TOGETHER, THIS IS SO NO POWDER dispersed INSIDE home.
Open valve number 3, then a attached 6-foot vinyl hose then that has no pump on it that's right by your return pump connect that to the section on your return pump your return pump again should have a 3/4 old Barb fit. Okay, now remove the pump off the vinyl house that is in the 5 gallon bucket so return pump can start working properly, now you return pump is circulating through the 5 gallon bucket. Start pouring slowly a little of the powder until it's all gone from the container it's in and of course when water looks clear. Open valve number 2 . Close valve number 3 and this will remove a lot of the water in the bucket open valve number 2 and remove vinyl hose from suction on return pump and that's it. It'll take a while to master doing this process quick for me right now it takes me 8 minutes or less to do it.

On valve number 3 that has Barb fitting I usually leave the fitting on the two foot hose and put a plug in the female threads of the number 3 ball valve

Again on the return pump I leave the Barb fitting because it's quicker to recharge in future
Any questions let me know hopefully the description or instructions are simple

20190716_221159.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
PhantomHalo

PhantomHalo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try to describe how I recharge the filter best I can let me know if I lose you somewhere. Like I mention the filter inlet is connected to the discharge on the return pump and there's 3 ball valves, one valve right at the discharge of the pump, number 2 is at the outlet of the DE filter , the number 2 ball valve stops the water flowing into the tank, so on the outlet of the DE filter there is a PVC T, so on the T you have valve number 2 and valve number 3 ,number 3 valve is to help recharge the DE filter

Before I explain how to recharge the do-it-you rself DE filter, you will need this,
5 gallon bucket, extention cords, small pump 300gph, 6 foot vinyl hose 3/4, 2 foot vinyl hose 3/4.
2 -3/4 hose barb fittings , each barb will go on the number 3 valve and the other Barb will go on the suction of the return pump
NOTE, I have 4 filter cartridges Ready to use on the filter every two weeks maybe 3 weeks. When cartridges are dirty I go to the car wash with high pressure water I clean them out and they're reusable again.

Here's how I recharge my filter, on the return pump , 5-gallon bucket fill halfway, dump the pump into the bucket and power it up. Then connect the two foot vinyl hose to the number 3 ball the other end of the two feet vinyl is in the five gallon bucket, at this time number 3 ball valve is closed and number 2 valve is open going to the tank then the 6ft piece of vinyl hose one end of it will be in your sump or wherever your return pump is. The other end of the 6ft vinyl Will connect to the pump that is in the 5-gallon bucket. Hopefully I didn't miss anything so far. So now you close valve number one and and valve number 2 close it, remove filter cartridge from Whole House filter and install new one, open valve number one by return pump , check for leaks around filter housing and open release valve on Whole house filter to remove air. There may be very little air that's okay now we're ready to recharge

NOTE, 1/2 CUP DE MATERIAL, BUT WHEN DEALING WITH POWDER, GO OUTSIDE, PUT POWDER IN EMPTY CONTAINER, WITH AQUARIUM WATER MIX TOGETHER, THIS IS SO NO POWDER dispersed INSIDE home.
Open valve number 3, then a attached 6-foot vinyl hose then that has no pump on it that's right by your return pump connect that to the section on your return pump your return pump again should have a 3/4 old Barb fit. Okay, now remove the pump off the vinyl house that is in the 5 gallon bucket so return pump can start working properly, now you return pump is circulating through the 5 gallon bucket. Start pouring slowly a little of the powder until it's all gone from the container it's in and of course when water looks clear . Close valve number 3 and this will remove a lot of the water in the bucket open valve number 2 and remove vinyl hose from suction on return pump and that's it. It'll take a while to master doing this process quick for me right now it takes me 8 minutes or less to do it.

On valve number 3 that has Barb fitting I usually leave the fitting on the two foot hose and put a plug in the female threads of the number 3 ball valve

Again on the return pump I leave the Barb fitting because it's quicker to recharge in future
Any questions let me know hopefully the description or instructions are simple

20190716_221159.jpg

Thank you very much! Very easy to understand. Do you think pulling from the sump will catch the free swimming parasites in the DT? Debating on putting a pump in the DT or just running it off the sump pump like you.

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can run it off the sump, but if you do make sure you provide good flow near the first few inches from the substrate/bottom. That is were most of these little jerks hang out. You need to be able to kick the up into the water column and down the overflow to maximize effectiveness of DE filter from the sump.
Thank you very much! Very easy to understand. Do you think pulling from the sump will catch the free swimming parasites in the DT? Debating on putting a pump in the DT or just running it off the sump pump like you.

OP
OP
PhantomHalo

PhantomHalo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, my flow in my display tank already kicks up quite a bit of sand. I have no sand in the sump. Just rock and macro algae. I just want to make sure to get as many of those ******** as I can. Lol

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Circulating in the sump will work but attaching to the return pump I would think better because now the water is filtered from parasites and bacteria to the main tank.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do buy a whole house filter, just remember for the size of your tank go with 1 inch Inlet an outlet and make sure the inlet an outlet are plastic threads some of them come with brass threads or stainless steel stainless steel should be fine also but you may have to ask seller that sells you the whole house filter because pictures don't show that sometimes or they don't describe it when they're selling the product, I found out the hard way, I use a 1200 gallon per hour pump the type for ponds I get them semi New for $20 normally there about 200 dollars, with your set up go with minimum 2000 gallons per hour or up to 3000 gallons per hour depending on your turnover rate you're looking for, but be prepared to replace or recharge every two weeks, when you're done with your issues then you can remove cartridge and let the water flow through.

OP
OP
PhantomHalo

PhantomHalo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My return pump is in my sump, but I’d have it still return to the DT unless I pull from the main tank with a separate pump and then send the return down to the sump. How do you know how much DE to put in those whole home filters? Is there a ratio or something to figure it out?

Last edited:

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My return pump is in my sump, but I’d have it still return to the DT unless I pull from the main tank with a separate pump and then send the return down to the sump. How do you know how much DE to put in those whole home filters? Is there a ratio or something to figure it out?
I buy 1 or 5 Micron filter cartridges, I use 1/2 cup of DE powder. 3/4 cup powder no problem, but no more.

OP
OP
PhantomHalo

PhantomHalo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy 1 or 5 Micron filter cartridges, I use 1/2 cup of DE powder. 3/4 cup powder no problem, but no more.

Awesome! Thanks so much for the help everyone!!! I’ll post pics when I get it all set up. Have a U.V. Sterilizer coming in the mail tomorrow to run as well. So I have a little project to do this weekend now.

Back