Best Dosing Pump?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like all of our options are scary. :p

Anyone ever shop for dosing pumps on aliexpress.com?

Seems like a very very different selection from what I've seen on eBay or Amazon.

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I USE THE GHL Doser 2.1 SA - 4 Pump Dosing System (Black).

Screen Shot 2017-09-19 at 7.04.26 AM.png

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the @GHL #MaxiSA dosing pump for my Automated water changes thats connected to my 50 gallon mixing station and a ApexEL controller including a DOS for my Alk and Cal.
ghl-doser-maxi.jpg

IMG_0796.JPG

Toomnymods

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the @GHL #MaxiSA dosing pump for my Automated water changes thats connected to my 50 gallon mixing station and a ApexEL controller including a DOS for my Alk and Cal.
ghl-doser-maxi.jpg

IMG_0796.JPG

This looks like a pretty nice piece of equipment.. I'm wondering how hard it was to setup as a waterchange device? do you do a few gallons per day? how far are you pumping or pulling the water? My rodi saltwater mix station is in my garage and a good 100 feet atleast from my living room. I'd have to run rodi lines thru my attic and I'm not sure if this machine could handle the head pressure? of having to pump 10' up and 100' to my living room?

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Maxi should do it fine. This type of pump pushes water thru the tube instead of a pump which builds up pressure in the line to push water.
I used a dual head Stenner pump to do water changes when I use to do them.:)

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks like a pretty nice piece of equipment. I'm wondering how hard it was to setup as a waterchange device? do you do a few gallons per day? how far are you pumping or pulling the water? My rodi saltwater mix station is in my garage and a good 100 feet atleast from my living room. I'd have to run rodi lines thru my attic and I'm not sure if this machine could handle the head pressure? of having to pump 10' up and 100' to my living room?

@Toomnymods - Great question, GHL #MaxiSA dosing pumps are built solid there is no doubt about it but I am switching things up a bit in my build. Since I am a Bigtime Mac guy, I have decided to switch back over to all #Neptune gear so everything matches as far as my main controller and dosing pumps.
I haven't even taken my new MaxiSA out of the box. It's on eBay - FYI. When I use to run my old #Neptune #DOS's for my AWC's, I would take out around 1 gallon a day for my mixed ref 120!

Per GHL MaxiSA Specs you should be ok, these Stepper Motors are bigger then you think plus, its totally WIFI or you can use USB cor to your PC.
Perfect for AWC and Continuous-use rated for max 350ml/min
Tired of lugging those buckets around? Take the work out of manual water changes and let the GHL Doser Maxi do it for you. Conveniently schedule automatic water changes or trigger them as-needed.
Need to continuously do larger water changes? No problem. Our brushless stepper motors are built and ready to withstand larger volume water changes.
As with other peristaltic pumps which require a cool-down period, the Doser Maxi’s stepper motors can be run continuously for longer periods without needing a cooling period.
For example, you can transport water for a water change at one time without needing a cooling period. Pumps are suitable for moving approximately 16,000 Liters (4,226 gal) of water.

For more info on the Dosing pump: https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/usa/product/ghl-doser-maxi-slave-black/
Ya got to admit this dosing pump for massive water changes does look nice and sexy!!
MaxiSA dosing Pump.JPG

Last edited:

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a kamoer f4, it's moderately priced at $300 Canadian, is wifi controlled - which for me is better because it's at the back under my tank and my previous dosing pump, which was also kamoer broke because I knocked it over a couple of times. I like not physically having to touch it, and the calibration is still holding 1 year later. I'd consider Kamoer medium end, but they are a dosing pump company that makes dosing pumps so that gives me a little piece of mind.

I also hand dose on some other tanks. I've thought about the jeabo dosing pumps before but the price really scares me. I use other jeabo products but at least with hand dosing worst case I'm going to forget. There's no way I'm accidentally going to dump an entire bottle in. Another option which I'm surprised is not more popular is to just buy as many BRS dosers as you need and then buy a wifi power strip to control them. Many years ago I used them with mechanical timers without issue. I believe the pumps are about $70 or $80 each and you can start with 2 and then if you need to dose other things in the future just buy more pumps.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS makes good dosers. One does 1.1ml/minute and the other 10ml/minute. You have to calibrated them but I think they’re great and not that expensive.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Toomnymods - Great question, GHL #MaxiSA dosing pumps are built solid there is no doubt about it but I am switching things up a bit in my build. Since I am a Bigtime Mac guy,
Cool I am a big time Mac guy> My daughter was a Mac Genius for a while learning computers from her Father.:) and I have friend who for years was Steve Jobs personal tech. Oh an the new GHL Connect app coming out in a couple of months will run on a Mac too.:) I generally just use a Virtual machine running Tiny1o windows When I need to update the firmware on GHL equipment which is every now and then the SA Dosers can be used straight out of the box with a smart phone. The GHL Connect will also be doing firmware updates with out a computer either.:)

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool I am a big time Mac guy> My daughter was a Mac Genius for a while learning computers from her Father.:) and I have friend who for years was Steve Jobs personal tech. Oh an the new GHL Connect app coming out in a couple of months will run on a Mac too.:) I generally just use a Virtual machine running Tiny1o windows When I need to update the firmware on GHL equipment which is every now and then the SA Dosers can be used straight out of the box with a smart phone. The GHL Connect will also be doing firmware updates with out a computer either.:)

@reefwiser - If you dont mind me asking when did you hear that GHL will be MAC compatible?

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From a Matthias posting. They hired a programmer to concentrate on the connect app and make it cross platform.

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also depends on the rest of your equipment. I have heard great things about eKoral’s doser @eKoProCS. I have one, but have not installed it yet. The rest of my equipment is eKoral too. You don’t have to have their controller to use their doser, but its a nice package when all together. Check out a few youtube videos on this one. Great UI. Their customer support is great.

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, heard amazing things about the new #Pacific Sun latest new Kore 5 dosing pump and ATO build in.

Kore 5th is the most advanced doser for aquarium industry.. It is a completely wireless, 5 channel doser with optional integrated ATO (auto top off) and temp sensor. Our control software allows users to not only connect to the doser wirelessly via bluetooth, but also set precise dosing schedules for any number of supplements or elements. Kore 5th gives users the ultimate control of dosing almost anything your reef may need!
kore5th_1new_small-600x401.jpg

The bracket you can add on for your additives.

complete_holder_set-600x401.jpg

ATO KIT:
cid_FFBC1CDB-5EDC-43AD-974D-D153A0CADF65-600x401.jpg

KORE5TH SOLENOID VALVE FOR OSMOSIS UNIT
kore_sv_large.jpg

MAGNETIC STIRRER FOR KORE 5TH
stirrer_large.jpg

Some more info on this dosing pump:
http://pacific-sun.eu/shop/dosing-stations/kore-5th-dosing-station/

Last edited:

Xandernfs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised that more haven't recommended DOS. I'm in the same boat looking for a doser in the up coming months. I've done some searching and most threads come down to the GHL 2.1 or the DOS depending on if you have an apex or want to dose more than 2 things. However, I've read that the DOS pump is quite loud.

Nick30G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Coral Box Wi Fi doser. So far for me nothing but good things to say about it. It's a reasonable price and quality and has worked just fine for me.

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised that more haven't recommended DOS. I'm in the same boat looking for a doser in the up coming months. I've done some searching and most threads come down to the GHL 2.1 or the DOS depending on if you have an apex or want to dose more than 2 things. However, I've read that the DOS pump is quite loud.

@Xandernfs, I am not going to lie, the DOS dosing pump is very loud compared to my brand new Never used GHL MaxiSA doser. I am going to be buying 2 DOS pumps so everything is integrated within the Neptune Fusion.
Make sure you check out my Reef page @ https://www.facebook.com/FLSharkvictim

Last edited:

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jebeo is not a great dosing pump. It might be cheap but dont look for long term function. I have GHL dosers that are 8 years old still working. An can still get parts for .:)

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might get a Jabeo

Stay away from all Jebao's products IMO! All of there pumps I got broke.... Even the UV from them leaked and melted.. Save you tank, stay away from Jebao.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.1%
Back