Best Filter for Pico Tank

Alexander1312

View Badges
Reaction score
San Francisco Bay Area, California, United States
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This 3.8 gallon pico tank is a few weeks old and seems to be coming out of its ugly phase now (sorry about the blue light). I only have a powerhead at this point but want to replace this with a hang on back filter. Anyone had any positive experience with a HOB filter for this tiny tank? I would like to mainly use it for polishing the water, as nutrients are rather low.

Nitrate - 0.4 (Hanna) / Phosphate 0.05 (Hanna) / Calcium 395 (Salifert) / Alkalinity 8.9 (Hanna) / Magnesium 1410 (Aquaforest).

IMG_6102.jpeg

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquaclear is used quite a bit and tons of mods and sizes if it fits the large ones can be modified so there is even a sump section.

I found i dont need filter.and do weekly 100 pecent water changes. I wouldnt mind moding eventually setting up pico with doser to auto water change 100 percent every other day or so.

But back to question, if you seach aquaclear mods there is alot. Ill have have to follow along now lol

shcrimps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This 3.8 gallon pico tank is a few weeks old and seems to be coming out of its ugly phase now (sorry about the blue light). I only have a powerhead at this point but want to replace this with a hang on back filter. Anyone had any positive experience with a HOB filter for this tiny tank? I would like to mainly use it for polishing the water, as nutrients are rather low.

Nitrate - 0.4 (Hanna) / Phosphate 0.05 (Hanna) / Calcium 395 (Salifert) / Alkalinity 8.9 (Hanna) / Magnesium 1410 (Aquaforest).

IMG_6102.jpeg
you could always do a little oase bio master since they have built in heaters and get glass lily pipes (nano ofc) since they have a surface skimmer
that’ll get less equipment in there and as long as you clean the pipes it should look good

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could always do a little oase bio master since they have built in heaters and get glass lily pipes (nano ofc) since they have a surface skimmer
that’ll get less equipment in there and as long as you clean the pipes it should look good
I used lily pipes on freshwater with canister. Those things give tanks a nice look. Pain to clean though lol

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

docshipwreck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched to Tidal for my 30 cube. I LOVE the thoughts that went into its design, the skimming, the submerged pump, and the fact the media box fits into the lid for cleaning with less mess.

I ran Aqua clear forever, I really enjoyed the media basket insert (aftermarket).

Probably the hugest thing I've liked about the tidal is the skimming and the pump doesn't have to pull the vaccuum should the power go out.

Debating a pico build and if I don't go AIO I think I'm going for a tidal.

Gretchacha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried several HOB and hand in tank designs and haven’t liked a single one yet. They seem to get algae easily and stop working within months with the saltwater.
I’m making a new nanobuild right now and I am trying a sponge filter airline powered. It’s probably not enough flow for a long tank, but combined with a powerhead or small pump for circulation it should be fine. I am building a simple cube so it should be fine for me as is. A lot of pico tanks or jars just use airline tubing for circulation and no filtration at all.

Gretchacha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
running my 65 off a oase bio master with the glass pipes, cleaning definitely is a pain so i painted mine black lol
I have the biomaster thermo on my 30 G and put the plastic pipes back on after using the glass ones from my previous freshwater set up. I don’t like how the water doesn’t get skimmed, but the plastic pipes at least have a shower bar design that I at the surface. It works for my undrilled tank, but I find the canister filter a PITA to clean. It’s messy. If OP wants the filter just to polish the water, I think something else that can be easily rinsed or filter floss changed quickly would be a better choice.

Gretchacha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This looks like an AIO HOB option that would be clean looking and give surface skimming. Not sure if you have enough depth. Needs 10.5”

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have the biomaster thermo on my 30 G and put the plastic pipes back on after using the glass ones from my previous freshwater set up. I don’t like how the water doesn’t get skimmed, but the plastic pipes at least have a shower bar design that I at the surface. It works for my undrilled tank, but I find the canister filter a PITA to clean. It’s messy. If OP wants the filter just to polish the water, I think something else that can be easily rinsed or filter floss changed quickly would be a better choice.
Have been considering upgrading to the bio thermo 200. Is that the one you’re running on your 30?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back