BEST FISH AWARDS 2021: And the award goes to.......

When choosing a fish what is most important?

• BEHAVIOR

Votes: 223 43.8%
  • BEAUTY

Votes: 154 30.3%
  • HARDINESS

Votes: 38 7.5%
  • HARD WORKING

Votes: 43 8.4%
  • PRICE

Votes: 10 2.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 41 8.1%

• Total voters

Clareot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best Behavior - Pygmy Wrasse (and cutest!!)
DA13385A-0A1F-450C-8944-64419904A57A.jpeg
Most Beautiful- Anthias
247B6435-A56A-48CF-A660-A712FC777E87.jpeg

Hardiest - Clown
26AC05F1-F11B-4D73-B104-6CBB94B30559.jpeg

Hard Working - Yellow-eyed Kole
8B2457AB-F253-4FC2-8C6B-EC99A2AF0E34.jpeg

Best All Around — “Elivis” can you see why? Scribble Rabbitfish
69B64680-D407-4014-94D5-FA254003EFA2.jpeg

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Behavior: majority of Clowns except the Tomato & Maroon

Beautiful: Leafy Sea Dragon
Followed up by several types of nudibranch & something I once owned, and will again, is that Blue Mandarin

Hardiness: again, I would go with Clownfish. My favorite being the Gladiator

Hard Working: my Diamondback Goby. That's all it does is work for its food

Price: Crosshatch Trigger Fish

Maximitsurugi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the BEST FISH AWARDS 2021! Ok not really but I thought it would be fun for us to each to give an award to the fish that we believe to be the most deserving in the following categories! These may be fish you have owned, want to own or can only dream to own. Nevertheless who does your awards go to? Let's talk about it!

BEST BEHAVIOR:

MOST BEAUTIFUL:

MOST HARDY:

MOST HARD WORKING:

BEST ALL AROUND:

Untitled-4 copy.jpg
I'm not sure if Best Behaviour covers compatibility but that and size and colour are most important to me. Smaller active fish livens a tank better than bigger fish. Also, big fish shrink my tank. Lol

Jack biocube 32

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral beauty should win. An affordable beautiful fish. That is relatively easy to take care of and has a good behavior. Plus they’re hard working by grazing on rocks (taking care of all that nuisance algae).
C508DBEB-98FE-4D80-99A7-376FB716E981.jpeg
I mean just look at them. Too bad I lost mine☹️.

MamaP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel the most important thing in choosing a fish is insuring that they are alive. Was going to buy a few once from a fella getting rid of them cheap. He didn't mention that they were all dead. Needless to say, I didn't buy them. Sad for the fish but makes for an interesting story.

Edit: Clown fish would be my vote buy the way. Great all around fish.
Reminds me of the movie Dumb and Dumber! ;Joyful

ReefChasers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Behavior > Beauty but its a close one;)

Thats not to say I dont go after troublesome fish. My two dueling blue devil damselfish have been among my favorite and most entertaining!

Yeah, they try to nip at me and eachother but like the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy I'd label it "Mostly Harmless".

Then again those blue devil's do have that beauty thing going for them...

Screenshot_20210811-225754_Chrome.jpg

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BEST BEHAVIOR: Undulate Triggerfish. Snapped a wrasse cleanly in half within 30 seconds of introduction. True story.

MOST BEAUTIFUL: Dog Face Puffer. A face so ugly only its mom would love it! :p Runner-up: long-spine porcupine fish. I mean look at that hairdo.

MOST HARDY: Achilles Tang. Just sneeze in the same room and it breaks out in Ich.

MOST HARD WORKING: Angler fish. Just sitting by drinking beer waiting for its meal to come to it.

BEST ALL AROUND: Yellow Clown Goby. I mean seriously. With a name like that. Bright coloration, more personality per dollar paid, and I mean how more industrious can you get with them nibbling on your prized acropora. Pair it with a Volitans Lion Fish and you will have quite a display tank.

OK, if I had to take life seriously I would vote:
1. Cryptic Wrasse (Is it still in the tank?)
2. Queen Angel (I mean it looks like it is out of the movie Avatar)
3. Picasso Trigger (refused to die)
4. Honorary working fish: my purple pincushion urchin. None of my tangs ever did squat.
5. For me, hands down it is the Queen Angel. For those that don't think they are hardy, mine survived in a Brute Trash Can for a few months while I replaced a leaking tank. (Until he jumped out of the replacement tank a few years later).

Last edited:

MamaP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a tough one! I prefer captive-bred, but unfortunately there are not a ton of options of captive-bred fish yet (hopefully there will be more options in the future!). The next things I look at are personality and compatibility with my tank and other fish. Above all else, I want my fish to be happy and healthy. I love beautiful and hard working fish, but I love fish with tons of personality more. There are so many fish that I don't have yet but would love to have one day, so I'm not even going to try to speak for all of them - only the ones I personally have.

BEST BEHAVIOR: Oliver, my Pink Streaked Wrasse. He is so calm and sweet and curious with those beautiful, big eyes and that long, pointy nose!

MOST BEAUTIFUL: Arthur, my Royal Gramma.
He's simply stunning with his bright purple and yellow colors, his long flowy fins, and his big curious eyes!

MOST HARDY: A tie between Arthur, my Royal Gramma, and Zoom, my Banghai Cardinal.
They're both part of my OG crew - the last two. They've survived 3 ich outbreaks, and Arthur is the one that originally brought it in!

MOST HARD WORKING: Jack and Sally, my Blue Dot Sleeper Gobies.
They cruise around all day, sifting the sand and keeping it clean!

BEST ALL AROUND: Tie between Barry, my male Clownfish, and Mystique, my Springeri Damsel.
Unlike his slightly aggressive partner in crime, Iris, Barry has never even looked at anyone sideways. He gets along "swimmingly" with everyone and gently eats right out of my fingers. Mystique is also a model citizen in the tank. She's absolutely gorgeous, and even though Zoom likes to chase her around, she just takes it all in stride and "just keeps swimming." She's super fast and smart and has made friends with even the shy guys, and she's completely fearless!

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to choose other because like a few other questions asked here there can't b one fish I'd chose. They all have their spot n my heart and it also depends on my tastes at the time. I mean seriously, who has just one fish.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the BEST FISH AWARDS 2021! Ok not really but I thought it would be fun for us to each to give an award to the fish that we believe to be the most deserving in the following categories! These may be fish you have owned, want to own or can only dream to own. Nevertheless who does your awards go to? Let's talk about it!

BEST BEHAVIOR:

MOST BEAUTIFUL:

MOST HARDY:

MOST HARD WORKING:

BEST ALL AROUND:

Untitled-4 copy.jpg
Behavior then beauty for me. Too many lives to risk for just a pretty face

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm hijacking the thread.... applying criteria to Hollywood Actresses

BEST BEHAVIOR:
url.jpg

MOST HARDY:

url(2).jpg

MOST HARD WORKING:
url(1).jpg

BEST ALL AROUND:
Scarlett-Johansson.png

MOST BEAUTIFUL:
Jennifer_Aniston.jpg

Last edited:

ReefChasers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You keep two together? Are they a male / female pair? In what size tank?

Personally I love C. Taupou. Basically a souped up Azure Damsel.
Oh they are both males to be certain. Its a 6 foot wide tank around 150 gal. They have evenly split the territory so we have aptly named them "left devil" and "right devil". They meet in the middle from time to time in order to vie for dominance. One never seems to best the other and the behavior seems "mostly harmless".

It took a while and building a "community" around them in the beginning. Initially the left devil staked his claim to the left side of the tank and wouldnt even let my chromies swim over there. But, I was persistent so I introducef a harem of clown fish and when I introduced them, I introduced them on his side. By introducing more fish into the tank things like tangs, foxface and the clowns, left devil gave up on trying to keep one whole side of the tank to himself.

Now he settles for the occasional duel with his pal right devil! Lol. As you can tell, they are my favorites;)

In the end I dont see real "aggression" from the devils, it seems a lot more territorial in nature.

Now that said keeping two works in my situation because of the size of the tank (allowing for enough territory) and because of the volume of community fish like anthias, chromies, foxface, tangs etc the devils get overwhelmed and decide to leave everything alone. They dont really want to deal with schools of chromies, anthias, or harems of clownfish.

Ive seen "real aggression" with conspecifics from fish like wrasses,tangs, clowns, angels. I havent seen that really at all with the devils in the right setup. They stake out a claim to an area. Thats their area. If you come in it, theyll chase you away, but they wont follow you and bludgeon you to death from end to end of the tank like clown vs clown or wrasse vs wrasse. They chase you off and stay in their area.

I once long ago made the mistake of putting two wrasses of same species in a tank. That was a short lived mistake. Its not like that with the blue devils.

Back