Best fish for a 32.5 nano reef tank?

ASWoodsy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on creating a LPS and Soft coral tank, maybe throwing in a couple SPS later on if it a successful tank. I am doing a lot of research, and have found many suitable tankmates, but I never know what to choose. What would be the best group of fish or type of fish to get (there will be a lot of swim room)? Im looking for things that are beginner level, at most intermediate since Ive kept fish for a while, just not many reef tanks.

Fish that I am sure I am going to get:
2x Clownfish (probably Ocelarous)
1x Tailspot Blenny

Fish I am unsure about but may get:
1x Six Line Wrasse
1x Dwarf Angel (any suggestions on the species?)

Inverts/COC (May add more depending on issues in the tank):
4x Nassarius Snail
4x Cerith Snail
2x Trochus
1x Fighting Conch
1x Peppermint or Cleaner Shrimp (any suggestions on which one?)

Side note: Any tips on what coral to get?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Angel is hit or miss, in cramped tanks they often go after corals. Cherub is the only one I’d really try for that size. You may want to go for one of the more peaceful damsels instead.
6 line wrasse can be pure evil or harmless, 50/50 chance. Pink streak looks similar and is much more peaceful.
One thing I’d highly recommend is a shrimpgoby + pistol shrimp pair, lots of fun.
Peppermint shrimp may go after coral, so I’d sooner do a skunk cleaner.
For coral, it really depends on what you want in the tank. Good beginner corals are Xenia, leathers, gsp, zoas, and mushrooms (though I have bad luck with shrooms).

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on creating a LPS and Soft coral tank, maybe throwing in a couple SPS later on if it a successful tank. I am doing a lot of research, and have found many suitable tankmates, but I never know what to choose. What would be the best group of fish or type of fish to get (there will be a lot of swim room)? Im looking for things that are beginner level, at most intermediate since Ive kept fish for a while, just not many reef tanks.

1x Tailspot Blenny

1x Six Line Wrasse

4x Nassarius Snail
4x Cerith Snail
2x Trochus
1x Fighting Conch

I have the same size tank though I am upgrading to a 75 gallon. Here would be my advice:

1. Skip the six line - too risky to potentially have it eventually terrorize the tank.
2. Get a small pair of clownfish and avoid maroon clowns like your life depends on it.
3. IF you decide an angel is a must, I'd suggest a flame angel.
4. No to peppermint shrimp - skunk cleaner all the way. Get two.
5. Add a turbo snail to the CUC list. Double the number of nassarius.
6. Watchman goby/pistol shrimp pair.
7. Get a blenny for sure. Tailspot will be a rock percher mostly - if you want you could add a 2nd blenny that will swim around in the open more (I just picked up a striped fang blenny, and it's gorgeous, peaceful, and very active). :)

I forgot - clown goby! Super cute and small.

lulubap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same size tank though I am upgrading to a 75 gallon. Here would be my advice:

1. Skip the six line - too risky to potentially have it eventually terrorize the tank.
2. Get a small pair of clownfish and avoid maroon clowns like your life depends on it.
3. IF you decide an angel is a must, I'd suggest a flame angel.
4. No to peppermint shrimp - skunk cleaner all the way. Get two.
5. Add a turbo snail to the CUC list. Double the number of nassarius.
6. Watchman goby/pistol shrimp pair.
7. Get a blenny for sure. Tailspot will be a rock percher mostly - if you want you could add a 2nd blenny that will swim around in the open more (I just picked up a striped fang blenny, and it's gorgeous, peaceful, and very active). :)

I forgot - clown goby! Super cute and small.
+1 on avoiding maroon clowns. Always double check. They're nasty. A female likes to bite my hand relentlessly whenever I try to clean her tank.

You could probably get away with more trochus snails and other members of CUC looking at the size of your tank. If you want a wrasse I would suggest possum wrasses as a more peaceful nano wrasse, though they look vastly different than the sixline you want.

+1 on the striped fang blenny. They're great to look at and my favorite swimmers (though I'm biased as a blenny lover).

+1 absolutely on the clown goby. I love my black one but I wish my LFS had different colors.

lulubap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1x Tailspot Blenny

1x Six Line Wrasse

4x Nassarius Snail
4x Cerith Snail
2x Trochus
1x Fighting Conch

Also seeing that you're new to coral (I am as well), I've had people recommend softies over all to me to begin with. Zoas, toadstools, sinularia coral, mushrooms, etc. Once you get the hang of the different flow and nutrient needs you can head onto corals like montipora (easy SPS) and favia (easy LPS). Reefing gets complicated when you mix SPS and LPS but it's absolutely achievable. Just takes a lot of research before getting corals and knowing what you want.

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1x Tailspot Blenny

1x Six Line Wrasse

4x Nassarius Snail
4x Cerith Snail
2x Trochus
1x Fighting Conch

Part of the challenge is separating the reef requirements from the fish requirements. Not all that are reef safe are safe in every reef. It would really help to post some pictures of your tank, it's rock work and what stage of growth you have. Filtration and other factors are also a consideration. With a 30g or so, you're limited to 3-4 fish typically and those that are not part of the angel, tang or frankly most fish of the ocean. They are big fish and every angel will be top fish in your tank, pushing 6-7" or more. Same with Tangs and Foxface.

I'd try sticking with nano for anything under 55gal. Blennies and Gobies are what comes to mind, damsel (not more than one), basslet and possibly cardinal fish. The clowns if they have found something to pair with, they will typically stick in one area of the tank. Nothing can use that area or it will be killed. I try to arrange mine like aircraft, where they will be in terms of height in the tank and depth (if you have this).

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on avoiding maroon clowns. Always double check. They're nasty. A female likes to bite my hand relentlessly whenever I try to clean her tank.

You could probably get away with more trochus snails and other members of CUC looking at the size of your tank. If you want a wrasse I would suggest possum wrasses as a more peaceful nano wrasse, though they look vastly different than the sixline you want.

+1 on the striped fang blenny. They're great to look at and my favorite swimmers (though I'm biased as a blenny lover).

+1 absolutely on the clown goby. I love my black one but I wish my LFS had different colors.
Good idea on the possum wrasse! Also I was going to say as well, to probably go ahead and beef up the number of all the snails. (Though I waited to do that with my own tank until some uglies started, which actually took quite a long time for mine. Didn't want anything to starve in a new, sterile tank).

I'm totally biased towards blennies too - had no idea they'd become some of my favorite fish! My bicolor blenny is so awesome - he has 3 specific spots in the tank that he claims, but he's never aggressive. More like he will zip from spot to spot and then perch on the rock and stare at the other fish. Total stalker, but not a threat to anyone. However, until I move everything over to my 75 gallon, I wouldn't dare another blenny that occupies the rockwork. I have a lot of barnacle clusters and I'd love to see a little blenny face poking out of all of them, but am nervous about potential blenny-on-blenny aggression, lol. I really want a Midas but for that reason, have held off. It is interesting that the bicolor didn't even bat an eye at the new striped fang blenny, but that's what I was hoping for by adding one that occupies a different area of the tank. :)

I haven't ever seen a black clown goby in my LFS, but they get green ones in very sporadically. If they ever get a citron clown goby in, I may need to grab it!

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part of the challenge is separating the reef requirements from the fish requirements. Not all that are reef safe are safe in every reef. It would really help to post some pictures of your tank, it's rock work and what stage of growth you have. Filtration and other factors are also a consideration. With a 30g or so, you're limited to 3-4 fish typically and those that are not part of the angel, tang or frankly most fish of the ocean. They are big fish and every angel will be top fish in your tank, pushing 6-7" or more. Same with Tangs and Foxface.

I'd try sticking with nano for anything under 55gal. Blennies and Gobies are what comes to mind, damsel (not more than one), basslet and possibly cardinal fish. The clowns if they have found something to pair with, they will typically stick in one area of the tank. Nothing can use that area or it will be killed. I try to arrange mine like aircraft, where they will be in terms of height in the tank and depth (if you have this).
+1 on a damsel instead of a dwarf angel.

@ASWoodsy - just make sure to research the damsels you are interested in first (ask around for other's experience as there are certain ones that are less aggressive than others - I've seen Azure, Starcki, and Springeri mentioned the most), and make sure it is the last fish you add to the tank. I'd add the clownfish second to last (clownfish are in the damsel family as well).
I'll be honest, my pair of clowns are the first fish I added... and have never had an issue with them bothering anyone but eachother... but I got young, small ones. As they mature, the consensus seems to be they eventually do become buttheads. (More likely to nip your hand than cause a bunch of trouble for your other tank inhabitants though). :)

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1x Tailspot Blenny

1x Six Line Wrasse

4x Nassarius Snail
4x Cerith Snail
2x Trochus
1x Fighting Conch

Notes on the CUC.

Cleaner if you have Chromis and Wrasse or will have LPS and/or anemones. Peppermint shrimp are okay, however I found they have a bias towards stealing food from corals and the like. They do help with aiptasia for preventative maintenance after treating such in a FOWLR tankl. Also, I think they may tolerate slightly worse water conditions if I recall as well.

The trochus are great for starting tanks and can right themselves. Good snails to start. Cerith will help keep your sand bed clean and if you can find bumblebee snails, they will also help keep live rock free of small bristleworms and the the like. I would skip the nassarius snails unless it was something specific you were seeking from them.

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1x Tailspot Blenny

1x Six Line Wrasse

4x Nassarius Snail
4x Cerith Snail
2x Trochus
1x Fighting Conch

i have the tank you have
my tank:
clownfish
2 pj cardinals
3 conchs
snails
1 pincushion urchin
1 pencil urchin
1 ywg
a bunch of kenya trees
for corals i would recommend Kenya trees since they grow really fast and are very easy to care for.

lulubap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea on the possum wrasse! Also I was going to say as well, to probably go ahead and beef up the number of all the snails. (Though I waited to do that with my own tank until some uglies started, which actually took quite a long time for mine. Didn't want anything to starve in a new, sterile tank).

I'm totally biased towards blennies too - had no idea they'd become some of my favorite fish! My bicolor blenny is so awesome - he has 3 specific spots in the tank that he claims, but he's never aggressive. More like he will zip from spot to spot and then perch on the rock and stare at the other fish. Total stalker, but not a threat to anyone. However, until I move everything over to my 75 gallon, I wouldn't dare another blenny that occupies the rockwork. I have a lot of barnacle clusters and I'd love to see a little blenny face poking out of all of them, but am nervous about potential blenny-on-blenny aggression, lol. I really want a Midas but for that reason, have held off. It is interesting that the bicolor didn't even bat an eye at the new striped fang blenny, but that's what I was hoping for by adding one that occupies a different area of the tank. :)

I haven't ever seen a black clown goby in my LFS, but they get green ones in very sporadically. If they ever get a citron clown goby in, I may need to grab it!
Lucky! I was on the hunt for green clown gobies. Never seen or heard of blenny on blenny aggression, but that must be because all of the blennies in my LFS are separated to one a tank. Sad fact for me, as I was hoping to get more than one in my next tank. C'est la vie.

Hopefully you can get that move in soon! Would love to see your midas blenny if you ever go through with getting it.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lucky! I was on the hunt for green clown gobies. Never seen or heard of blenny on blenny aggression, but that must be because all of the blennies in my LFS are separated to one a tank. Sad fact for me, as I was hoping to get more than one in my next tank. C'est la vie.

Hopefully you can get that move in soon! Would love to see your midas blenny if you ever go through with getting it.
I have a terribly bad habit of checking out all the fish when I pick up frozen food, lol... that's how I noticed the green clown gobies. I've only seen one or two in year, but then again I'm not there every week, so they may be more common than I thought. I know the owner of my LFS has said getting what they want inventory wise has been difficult the past 2 years (because of course). :rolleyes:

I don't think blennies are technically aggressive towards each other in most situations - but, I have read that when mixing them, it's best to stick to one of each type based on what part of the tank they inhabit (like so many other fish). Case in point - I wanted to distract my tomini tang and bicolor blenny when I added the fang blenny, just in case, so I taped mirrors to each end of the tank. Bicolor went nuts, flared up his fins, and rammed the glass so many times, I had to take it down! I did NOT expect that strong of a reaction - but that's absolutely proof that adding another bicolor blenny would be impossible (in my tank). So that's what makes me nervous about adding the Midas I want... they are obviously very different colors, but have the same body shape and will both be on the rocks and barnacles competing for territory. :grimacing-face:

In a large enough tank I bet it *might* be ok to have say a Midas and Bicolor together, as they would probably have space to mark off their own little territories ("little" is probably not the best term though, considering my bicolor claims my entire existing tank as his). I'm really hoping after everyone settles into the 75 gallon, I can add to the blenny population... but I'm not holding my breath.

Have you ever seen barnacle blennies? They're so ugly that they're cute, lol. Red googly eyes! I want a little group of them - they stay very small and hide in the barnacles together, then dart out lightning fast to eat.

If I do end up getting a Midas I'll definitely share pics! Hoping to get the tank transfer done this weekend, but all kind of depends on whether I can get enough hands to help, lol.

Last edited:

lulubap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a terribly bad habit of checking out all the fish when I pick up frozen food, lol... that's how I noticed the green clown gobies. I've only seen one or two in year, but then again I'm not there every week, so they may be more common than I thought. I know the owner of my LFS has said getting what they want inventory wise has been difficult the past 2 years (because of course). :rolleyes:

I don't think blennies are technically aggressive towards each other in most situations - but, I have read that when mixing them, it's best to stick to one of each type based on what part of the tank they inhabit (like so many other fish). Case in point - I wanted to distract my tomini tang and bicolor blenny when I added the fang blenny, just in case, so I taped mirrors to each end of the tank. Bicolor went nuts, flared up his fins, and rammed the glass so many times, I had to take it down! I did NOT expect that strong of a reaction - but that's absolutely proof that adding another bicolor blenny would be impossible (in my tank). So that's what makes me nervous about adding the Midas I want... they are obviously very different colors, but have the same body shape and will both be on the rocks and barnacles competing for territory. :grimacing-face:

In a large enough tank I bet it *might* be ok to have say a Midas and Bicolor together, as they would probably have space to mark off their own little territories ("little" is probably not the best term though, considering my bicolor claims my entire existing tank as his). I'm really hoping after everyone settles into the 75 gallon, I can add to the blenny population... but I'm not holding my breath.

Have you ever seen barnacle blennies? They're so ugly that they're cute, lol. Red googly eyes! I want a little group of them - they stay very small and hide in the barnacles together, then dart out lightning fast to eat.

If I do end up getting a Midas I'll definitely share pics! Hoping to get the tank transfer done this weekend, but all kind of depends on whether I can get enough hands to help, lol.
I love ugly blennies the most. My favorite blenny is actually a lawnmower blenny. My family swears they'll never get one in the family tank because it's so ugly but I am just in love with the coloration.

That anecdote about your flametail/bicolor/Ecsenius bicolor is very much worth considering! I recently sold a flametail to a lovely family with a flame hawk, an orchid pseudochromis, and a female clown. I assured them the blenny would be ok with their current stocking, but this is definitely something I'll also be considering when selling blennies in the future.

It's very hard to keep track of which species in which genus has which temperament, and how they would fare with existing tankmates. It's even harder when you're an employee at a reef store who wants the best for their customers but is still learning themselves.

I'm also going to be doing a tank transfer in the future, though on a much more miniscule scale. Upgrading the family 13.5 into a ~30 g (13.5 will be all mine!!!!!). It's much needed since they are very eager to get more stocking in, but we're already at our max as it is with this nano.

Very excited to see how your tank transfer will go.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back