Best Flow in 40g cube.

code43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to figure out the best placement and flow pattern for my 40 gallon AT cube. I have 2 Nero 3s and a mighty jet pump. The aquascape is centered in the tank with the left side being higher.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's always a hard one to give advice. I would place one of your Nero's closer towards the back to ensure flow on the back side of the rock as well. Alternate your flow; make it 'random' - and play a wee bit around with it. You won't be successful over night sadly.

Flow requirements will change as your tank matures and your corals grow bigger as well.

Do you have any indications that what you are doing now isn't quite working the way you want it to? If not, then it might be better to leave it as is :)

OP
OP
C

code43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's always a hard one to give advice. I would place one of your Nero's closer towards the back to ensure flow on the back side of the rock as well. Alternate your flow; make it 'random' - and play a wee bit around with it. You won't be successful over night sadly.

Flow requirements will change as your tank matures and your corals grow bigger as well.

Do you have any indications that what you are doing now isn't quite working the way you want it to? If not, then it might be better to leave it as is :)
I just moved them to face each other and up’d the random flow. I have cyno that is everywhere… too many dead spots.

Fuzznutz36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, cubes ain't easy. I'm running a 60g with 2 mp40s a little staggered on the back and a tunze 6055 (with a 6095 wide flow cover) that I aim at the rock. I'm also bare bottom and sps, so I can crank up the flow a bit. I like having one pump a little lower to help hit most spots. I agree with Casper, play around with it...

20230822_152231.jpg

seandre3000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one on the front left corner like you do and my nero 3 in the center of the back wall. Gives a good amount flow and helps with the dead spots

Last edited:

Reefer Brent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you found the right mix for this yet? I have the same tank and have been running one sicce powerhead along with splitting the return nozzle in two. I have recently aimed the sicce up and across the top for more surface agitation and the return nozzles down in opposite directions. Hoping this creates a gentle vortex of beautiful flow lol. Thinking of adding random flow generators.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back