Best GHA Eating Fish

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found fish to be useless for algae control. Mexican turbo snails absolutely demolished my hair algae issue however the main way I beat it was to improve my nutrient export. 10% weekly water change, decent light on chateto in fuge, decent size skimmer and GFO in a reactor. However I went too far and stripped almost all my phosphate and nitrate which caused a bloom in dinos. So if I were you, look at improving your neutriant export and get some snails in there . Don't use chemicals, do it the natural way with patience. :)

CrazyCarlitos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If u have gha issue, than u have a excess nutrient issue that u need to fix ultimately.

imho no fish, shrimp, or snail will get rid of large amounts of gha... and since ur rocks are glued, u cannot do manual removal.

I am not a fan of vibrant.. so my recommendation would be Fluconazole.
It can help rid of the gha in ur tank pretty fast. U should start seeing results within a week.

u would still need to deal with the nutrient issue, or gha will come back.

here is the link. It’s pretty ez, and pretty safe for tank inhabitants. Ymmv. I don’t know why more people don’t use it.

good luck!

Last edited:

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. If you get one, it is almost like a unicorn. An army of urchins, ceriths and turbos work better - not one or two, but a bunch since they all want to eat the easy algae first. Sea hare and lettuce sea slug work well too, but are not always long lived. You will have to give away most of the urchins and snails once they do their jobs.

I am talking like 8 pincushions, 150 certiths and 100 astreas.
I disagree with what you said about sea hares- they are the best thing for GHA IMO. My LFS essentially rents them out until someone's gHA problems go away. I tried one on my 30 gallon and it decimated all the GHA in six days.

Jon_W79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that a foxface would be the most likely to eat hair algae(and possibly even bubble algae).They are pigs, and I think that a lot of them will eat hair algae if they get hungry enough.
I believe that my one spot foxface eats hair algae and bubble algae.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You disagree that I said that they work well? If you can get one not to waste away or disappear, they are awesome and hardy. Most die quickly and some people never see them again after they put them in their tanks.

OP
OP
40g Nano

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by nutrient export? What else can I do? I have a fuge with a big ball of chaeto and dont feed much.

Will a scopas tang be good for GHA?
I haven't seen any small foxface.

I also don't want to chance poisoning my tank with a sea hare

I don't want to put any chemicals into the tank either.

There is only 3 fish and

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Urchins are your best best so long as you don't have an branching LPS in the tank.

I can get pin cushion urchins at my LFS for like $5 each. 1 urchin does the work of like 20 snails, and when they clean a rock, they clean it back to the white.

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best algae eating fish?
Foxface or some type of tang? Also, is a scopas or sailfin good algae eaters? What about a kole tang or tomini?
Thanks!
Lawn mower blennies work good for this also i would add 1 of them i have 1 it does a very good job devouring algee

OP
OP
40g Nano

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, the fish needs to stand its ground against the six line wrasse as it nips fins if too close to territory

Crashnt24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My foxface will nip at it occasionally. Not enough to make a dent. My Tomini tang won't touch it.

I have tried almost everything except a sea hare. Best practice would be to manually remove it every week until coraline can take hold and not let it grow. Oh and a good fuge or ATS

Orm Embar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to control nuisance algae with something that eats/removes it (fish, snails, hermits, sea hares, etc), that still doesn't remove the underlying conditions that cause it to grow. While I agree with having a good cleanup crew (snails generally, as they do clean things and don't cause issues unless they are Turbos that knock stuff over or Astreas that can't right themselves and need to be rescued), I would also boost nutrient export.

2 articles as to your options:

I'm personally a big fan of refugia/chaeto nutrient export (or maybe trying Ulva), but there are multiple ways to skin the proverbial cat. For an AIO, maybe some Dragon's Breath in the main tank as macroalgae competing for nutrients, or a HOB chaeto reactor since you don't have refugium space? Maybe a tiny algae scrubber on the tank wall?

Also, BRS had a video about cleaning filter media (mechanical) can reduce nitrates by up to 30%, so that's a very low cost if more labor intensive way of doing things.

zuri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thread is interesting getting some popcorn out/// tang police out in force today xD

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 26 28.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 34 37.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.4%
Back