Best halide reflectors

Claybird1985

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the same metal halide reflectors over my tank since 2002ish. They are the parabolic “Spyder” reflectors. Over the years, with salt splashing, they are pitted and tarnished, and probably don’t reflect as much light as they used to. I run a 250 watt bulb in the middle, and 2 - 175 watts on either side, so I would need 3 reflectors.

I could just buy replacement Spyder reflectors for pretty cheap, but I’m just wondering what other people are using and recommend. Thanks.
Late to the comment here but RB all the way! Love my reefbrites.. nice and small and classy and vented .. warm to the touch not hot!
20210107_011053.jpg
20210107_011113.jpg

OP
OP
Vette67

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, 2 of my 3 halide reflectors showed up today, with new M80 ballasts. I am shocked at how big those ballasts are. They must weigh 20 pounds each! I was not expecting that. I decided that the size I needed (these are a 12" x 12" footprint) and the PAR I want, that the Cozumel Sun reflectors with "250" watt HQI ballast would work best. It came with the 14,000K Hamilton DE bulbs. I plan on cutting a couple holes in my current hood and mounting these essentially on top of my hood. That should get these bulbs right around 12 inches off the surface of my water.

In another month or 2, I'll order the 3rd ballast / reflector, and complete the hood. I plan on locking these in place by cutting some 1 X 2 wood trim around the base at the same angle as these reflectors, so they will slide into place, and then hopefully be locked in, only to slide out forward. That way when I lift the hood, gravity should work in my favor, with the exception of that extra weight sitting on my hood.

But thanks everyone for the recommendations. That helped me choose.
IMG_6983[1].JPG

IMG_6983[1].JPG

Dirk Griffin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who still use 3/4/6' vho's and want to replace their reflectors. The 36" Pfo parallel reflector was always a good one back in the day. They are bent on outside edges for those bulbs and T5/pc...
The 3 halide socket holes were nice for different set ups. The option of 2 halide bulbs on 1 reflector was unique too

IMG02096.jpg IMG02097.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vette67

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2 new nuclear reactors are on and in place. They are pretty bright, but I guess that was the idea. Camera definitely washes out the color. I’m pretty happy with how it all turned out; I just wish I would have broken down and gotten all 3 at once. Now I have to go back, take the canopy apart and do this all over again when I get the 3rd light. That what I get for being cheap and trying to spread the cost out over multiple months!
7D741CF6-5B68-4C5E-859D-CD967CEC218A.jpeg

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2 new nuclear reactors are on and in place. They are pretty bright, but I guess that was the idea. Camera definitely washes out the color. I’m pretty happy with how it all turned out; I just wish I would have broken down and gotten all 3 at once. Now I have to go back, take the canopy apart and do this all over again when I get the 3rd light. That what I get for being cheap and trying to spread the cost out over multiple months!
7D741CF6-5B68-4C5E-859D-CD967CEC218A.jpeg

I always preferred bulb sockets facing backwards as well. Even with halides it is still helpful to use a yellow filter and then light-room the blue back in to taste. I could never take straight shots with my phone using 20k halides

OP
OP
Vette67

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always preferred bulb sockets facing backwards as well. Even with halides it is still helpful to use a yellow filter and then light-room the blue back in to taste. I could never take straight shots with my phone using 20k halides
These are double ended bulbs, 14,000K, but yes, the bulbs do run perpendicular to the tank, front to back. I mostly did it that way because the cord sticks out the back of the housing, so they are hidden better this way. And these cords are really thick.

That was just a quick camera phone shot. I think it’s mostly the brightness that caused the overexposure like that. I may get a filter for my phone if I find the pictures continue to be too washed out. Otherwise, the coral is opening back up and looking happy...

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How hot do they run sitting on the wood canopy? I know the MH I ran would give a 3rd degree burn if you touched it

OP
OP
Vette67

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How hot do they run sitting on the wood canopy? I know the MH I ran would give a 3rd degree burn if you touched it
It is hot to the touch, but it will not give you a burn. I can leave my hand on it for several seconds, but not too long. It’s uncomfortably warm. It’s probably no different than when I had the spider reflectors under the hood. Then the heat would have to go through the canopy plywood to feel it. This way too I’ll probably have a lot less heat transferring to my tank, because it can dissipate out the top, instead of being trapped under the hood. Which may just mean my heater runs more. It all remains to be seen.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! Your nuclear reactors will produce nuclear colors/growth!
Prepare yourself for vivid nuclear corals!
Nuclear power and radiation to feed nuclear organic needs!
Whatever that means! LOL!
I'm so happy for you. If I could I would go there visit you and that tank!
Please keep us posted. Gotta love nuclear Acros too!

Get your 3rd nuclear reactor before it goes out of stock!!!

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is hot to the touch, but it will not give you a burn. I can leave my hand on it for several seconds, but not too long. It’s uncomfortably warm. It’s probably no different than when I had the spider reflectors under the hood. Then the heat would have to go through the canopy plywood to feel it. This way too I’ll probably have a lot less heat transferring to my tank, because it can dissipate out the top, instead of being trapped under the hood. Which may just mean my heater runs more. It all remains to be seen.
My 250 watt lumen brights are warm to the touch but you could leave your hand on it all day in comfort.
They blow off heat incredably well.
Mine are open and not in a hood though.

OP
OP
Vette67

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get your 3rd nuclear reactor before it goes out of stock!!!
Yeah, I want to order the 3rd bulb / reflector, but I’m not sure what to do. Tanking off my canopy for the first time in who knows how many years, revealed that my plastic center braces on my 180 are all cracked. So a new tank may be in the near future. I don’t feel like building a new stand or canopy, so I’ll probably get a 240 gallon tank, that’ll be 32” tall instead of 24”, but with the same 72” x 24” footprint. So if I get a taller tank, should I get a 400 watt bulb? Then I would have a 400 in the center and I’d put the 2-250’s on either side. So it is a little more complicated decision now. I have a couple quote requests out to have a 240 built, so we will see where those come in. Nothing like an unplanned upgrade! But my 180 has been around since 2002, so this is typical for the plastic rimmed tanks.

xabo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, I want to order the 3rd bulb / reflector, but I’m not sure what to do. Tanking off my canopy for the first time in who knows how many years, revealed that my plastic center braces on my 180 are all cracked. So a new tank may be in the near future. I don’t feel like building a new stand or canopy, so I’ll probably get a 240 gallon tank, that’ll be 32” tall instead of 24”, but with the same 72” x 24” footprint. So if I get a taller tank, should I get a 400 watt bulb? Then I would have a 400 in the center and I’d put the 2-250’s on either side. So it is a little more complicated decision now. I have a couple quote requests out to have a 240 built, so we will see where those come in. Nothing like an unplanned upgrade! But my 180 has been around since 2002, so this is typical for the plastic rimmed tanks.

I used to run 3 400 w MH until:
IMG_0549 by john briscoe, on Flickr

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of my tanks were Marineland brand and I've never had any problems with the center brace in my life. I removed the whole plastic top bracing of one of my 75gal tanks to install an Euro bracing and it's still working great. I did that to avoid UV damage to the plastic and to make maintenance easier. Also the center brace had always left that "dark spot" in the center of the tanks. It was very hard to remove that top plastic rim around that tank though!! Yeah, place the Acros and such under the 400W in the center then. Oh man, you're lucky boy!

OP
OP
Vette67

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. The transformation of finally complete. I got the 2 double ended bulbs/ reflectors / ballasts about 2 -3 weeks ago. After putting in those bulbs, I notice some corals retracting from th intense new lights, so I moved them towards my left side which still had the 175 watt halide and spider reflector. So I decided to not get a third 250 watt HQI ballast / bulb. I purchased just a mogul base reflector and bought the pigtail cord so that I could wire the mogul bulb to my existing ARO 175 watt ballast. Everything just wired up and turned on. We will see tomorrow if things are still happy. I know with the new reflector I will be getting a LOT more PAR on that side than I was getting with that crusty spider reflector.

One thing, is that the double ended reflectors were 12 inch square and the new mogul reflector is 13 inch square. I would think for simplicity sake and easier manufacturing process, that they would have been the same size. So the reflector on the left is slightly bigger.

Anyway, I’m already happier with how it has all worked out. Thanks again for the recommendations and help.
706D40BD-BB87-4A05-998F-3CEAFA417664.jpeg

Yanir34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, 2 of my 3 halide reflectors showed up today, with new M80 ballasts. I am shocked at how big those ballasts are. They must weigh 20 pounds each! I was not expecting that. I decided that the size I needed (these are a 12" x 12" footprint) and the PAR I want, that the Cozumel Sun reflectors with "250" watt HQI ballast would work best. It came with the 14,000K Hamilton DE bulbs. I plan on cutting a couple holes in my current hood and mounting these essentially on top of my hood. That should get these bulbs right around 12 inches off the surface of my water.

In another month or 2, I'll order the 3rd ballast / reflector, and complete the hood. I plan on locking these in place by cutting some 1 X 2 wood trim around the base at the same angle as these reflectors, so they will slide into place, and then hopefully be locked in, only to slide out forward. That way when I lift the hood, gravity should work in my favor, with the exception of that extra weight sitting on my hood.

But thanks everyone for the recommendations. That helped me choose.
IMG_6983[1].JPG

IMG_6983[1].JPG
wooooow!! they look awesome ! does Hamilton have reflector like this , for 400w , SE bulbs ?

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 17 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 9.5%

Back