• For a Limited Time the R2R Partner Membership is NOW OPEN! Get some cool swag and chances to win part of over $20,000 in prizes! Click here for more details

Best HOB protein skimmer

OP
D

Dsumpter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I've been looking at the Auquamax 1.5 but for $10 more the reef octopus 1000 looks to be the better option. Where does that sensor doohiccky get installed and how does it work?

Fragtacular Sale

CookieRdReef

View Badges
Reaction score
I don't really understand how an overflow sensor will work on a hob skimmer
You place it at the top of the collection cup. If foam or liquid reach the sensor it turns off the skimmer. When reading about HOBs there were a lot of flood/water spill stories due to overflowing collection cups when the skimmer goes crazy. With the sensor it cant flood.

Dw79

View Badges
Reaction score
I have had the Reef Octopus hob 1000 on my 46 gallon bow front for about 2 years. It has never overflowed, and always pulled lots of gunk from my tank. Its a work horse and easy to use and clean

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
I use a Reef Octopus classic 90 on my 38g tank. Great little skimmer. In my opinion reef octopus makes solid products.

20200601_170206.jpg
Geez. This is considered hob now days? That is a monster sticking up way high and in no way looks good at all. If this is what it has come to to get performance from a hob you might as well call your display a sump.

I am joking a bit because I know the designs they use now days but seeing a pic made me chuckle. I have only owned the more discrete ones way back in the day. That, in my opinion only, is ridiculous to stick on a tank except for basement type setups. Not in a bedroom or living area

https://www.omegasea.net/

rwreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Geez. This is considered hob now days? That is a monster sticking up way high and in no way looks good at all. If this is what it has come to to get performance from a hob you might as well call your display a sump.

I am joking a bit because I know the designs they use now days but seeing a pic made me chuckle. I have only owned the more discrete ones way back in the day. That, in my opinion only, is ridiculous to stick on a tank except for basement type setups. Not in a bedroom or living area
This is on a sump under a cabinet out of sight.

punziracing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I use a Reef Octopus classic 90 on my 38g tank. Great little skimmer. In my opinion reef octopus makes solid products.

20200601_170206.jpg
Can you please send a larger pic to include your whole sump, i also have a 40B with a 10 gallon sump and would love to see the complete setup.

Fragtacular After Sale
Fragtacular Sale

Do you have any "bully fish" in your tank?

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 125 58.7%
  • NO bullies just misunderstood...

Votes: 72 33.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 16 7.5%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Corals.com