Best led for the $$$$$$

gmdeguire27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some cheaper leds i got off amazon i almost feel like there too strong i had to turn them down anytime i put some of my corals staight under them about middle tank they started bleaching they where high light sps i was just hoping on getting some advice

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not my favorite kind of lights. Even so, you need a light meter more than you need different lights.

Once you roughly know the amount of light going into your tank, there are lots fewer mysteries – you'll be focusing on other areas of your reef in no time! :)

You can download one of the many free lux meters to your smartphone just to play with and get an idea about using a meter (I had a decent experience with a few of them, but there are some that don't seem compatible with my camera....so be advised you might have to try more than one).

But ordering a $15 handheld meter like my "LX-1010B" is really a no-brainer. It's still super cheap, it'll give much better readings and the corded, remote sensor will come in handy. You also won't have to wave your $xxx smartphone around over your tank just to take a light reading anymore. :D (If you find that you get a lot of use out of it, maybe you will justify spending the extra money for a PAR meter later on.)

Unless you actually don't like the light you have, I'd just get a firm grasp on it by way of a light meter and keep on truckin. :)

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It uses the camera's light sensor, so it's not a complete magic trick, but it is pretty cool!

It's not a perfect hack, like I said though. The best use I'd say is just to get you started....while you wait on shipping for your handheld unit. ;)

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spectrum Matters

Some companies dont get it but its common in China to get generic LEDs Cheap and create a really bright fixture...

Thats fine for a shallow reef with lots of hermits to eat the nuisance algae. These thrive on the greater than 500nm spectrum. 640-670 being optimal for plants..

Walking the beach in the keys I see thousands of these at low tide..

You want a little of this for looks but too much is not good...Also do not trust the Spectral Graphs of some a bunch of Imports as they have simply copied the AI/Ecotech without measuring their own.

Bill

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using 'cheep' Chinese LEDs for couple years. My SPS are spectacular, growth and color! My tank is 30in tall and my lights are almost 2ft from water line. Acros and millis growing on the bottom.

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using 'cheep' Chinese LEDs for couple years. My SPS are spectacular, growth and color! My tank is 30in tall and my lights are almost 2ft from water line. Acros and millis growing on the bottom.

Which Lights are you using and can you toss us some tank pics...

My big concern is the 18 month failure... Generally Acros are very well established by then...The Last thing I would like to do is re-acclimate to a new light...

Some Black Box Imports are a fair value if they use UR/CE components.

Bill

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second this^. My mars aquas are growing everything from SPS and LPS very well with great color and polyp extension.

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0959.JPG
Which Lights are you using and can you toss us some tank pics...

My big concern is the 18 month failure... Generally Acros are very well established by then...The Last thing I would like to do is re-acclimate to a new light...

Some Black Box Imports are a fair value if they use UR/CE components.

Bill

eBay, think they're called "WellPAR" 165 watt full spectrum.
Terrible phone pic, but it shows a green acro on bottom and middle of pic is a purple milli approx 3in off bottom. Also a large poci, but they'll grow anywhere.

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never judge a fixtures brightness by watts...

Back in the day I was growing frags using only Cree XR-E Royal Blue...

The question is not growth but reliability and spectrum...Along with reliability, I understand that some people are willing to use generic not UR/CE registered powersupplies and drivers to save a few $...This may or may not have an impact on safety but for me I want to be 100%...

Its impossible for a manufacturer to Bin Cree X Series LEDs and compete with the cost of a Generic 3 Watt LED...But then again there are those who insist on the Yugo or Caddilac Cimarron, as its less expensive than a Mercedes or BMW...Yes the both start and get from A to B but for how long and how well?

Bill

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done extensive research to see if I could find anything across the internet about "black box failures. In those months of research I have only come across some with only a very limited amount of burnt out led diodes after years and years of use.

Not one time have I ever seen or read where they have just up and stopped working.

If you can point me to legit story of one failure, any failure, I would highly appreciate it.

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can point you to a legit story to one catching fire in a school room...google "Chinese LED Fixture Catching Fire"

Perhaps my opinion is biased as I regularly receive requests for a replacement driver and my customers cannot give me a Ma or Vf of the driver...In other words...How many LEDs (Specific) and What Current and What Amps...

Human nature is not to admit to a mistake...Especially when one researched so many posts online...

Given our Niche Market of High End LEDs, Parts and Fixtures... I have received numerous requests on a replacement drivers...

If the driver you depend on and, can you give me a simple Vf and mA? Yet to see a single response that that conforms to EU Class II safety standards...

Yes...The Caddilac Cimarron will take you to the prom but will it be your primary lighting...

Here is a reef builders link...hardly off the wall https://reefbuilders.com/2013/01/30/cheap-chinese-led-causes-fire/

That said you generally pay for what you get... Our Sirius DIY is a great example, as with the Sirius XTC, you get extras like a great housing, thermal management and a three year warranty...

Just some food for thought.

Bill

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can point you to a legit story to one catching fire in a school room...google "Chinese LED Fixture Catching Fire"

Perhaps my opinion is biased as I regularly receive requests for a replacement driver and my customers cannot give me a Ma or Vf of the driver...In other words...How many LEDs (Specific) and What Current and What Amps...

Human nature is not to admit to a mistake...Especially when one researched so many posts online...

Given our Niche Market of High End LEDs, Parts and Fixtures... I have received numerous requests on a replacement drivers...

If the driver you depend on and, can you give me a simple Vf and mA? Yet to see a single response that that conforms to EU Class II safety standards...

Yes...The Caddilac Cimarron will take you to the prom but will it be your primary lighting...

Here is a reef builders link...hardly off the wall https://reefbuilders.com/2013/01/30/cheap-chinese-led-causes-fire/

That said you generally pay for what you get... Our Sirius DIY is a great example, as with the Sirius XTC, you get extras like a great housing, thermal management and a three year warranty...

Just some food for thought.

Bill

Thanks for the link, but sorry to say that's not the type of "Chinese black box" we are discussing here and further more, not the lighting fixture design that I've based my research on. Nice try.

Well, with that said, I'm and as are hundreds (possibly thousands by now) of other people in the hobby that have bought and use them on a daily basis for years and years, are pleased and very happy with them. And would gladly buy them again.

I guess we will respectfully disagree. I sincerely wish you and your company the best of luck and further success in the future.

Happy reefing :)

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@gmdeguire27, I think we got a bit off topic. How high are your lights from water surface? And at what perecnet are your white/blue channels? LEDs are very deceiving!

JustinW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a G3 radion running at about 35% and the galaxyhydro 165w blues at about 60% whites at about 25% aprx 10 inches off water. Believe it or not, I've had better growth from the Chinese black box

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 40 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back