Best Light for Waterbox Peninsula 25

Fixture for WB Peninsula 25 (24"x15"x15")

• AI Prime 16HD - $265

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • VIPARSPECTRA 165w - $170

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • AI Hydra 32HD - $430

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Kessil A360X - $450

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • 24" 4 bulb T5 option

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

Wieldy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I'm purchasing a Waterbox Peninsula 25 and I'm a little conflicted on what light to use. I have a poll up with some options.

Tank Size: 24"x15"x15" (With the AIO I think the display is really 21"x15"x15")
Coral: Mixed reef but mostly LPS and softies. I'll experiment with SPS but it will not be dominant.

I would really like to stay under $300 but if enough people think one of the more expensive options is the way to go, I will give it a hard look. I'm mostly worried that the AI Prime might cause a lot of shadows, to the detriment of the corals. It was my preferred option until I started overthinking this

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
Any of those lights could work with the correct coral placement. But I would choose an option that you do not have up there which is a couple AI blades. They will give you the coverage you are looking for. But don't count out good used equipment also. The best no thought option up there is the T5, but soon that bulb is going to go the way of the Dodo bird. In your price range you could get a XR30 v4.
Mixed reef is hard especially in a 20g so keep that in mind. Not to say you can't grow a few easy SPS, but I would say a mixed tank is more difficult than an SPS Acro tank.

OP
OP
Wieldy

Wieldy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
Any of those lights could work with the correct coral placement. But I would choose an option that you do not have up there which is a couple AI blades. They will give you the coverage you are looking for. But don't count out good used equipment also. The best no thought option up there is the T5, but soon that bulb is going to go the way of the Dodo bird. In your price range you could get a XR30 v4.
Mixed reef is hard especially in a 20g so keep that in mind. Not to say you can't grow a few easy SPS, but I would say a mixed tank is more difficult than an SPS Acro tank.
Hey thanks for the suggestions! I didn’t even think of the blades. If I went with only 2 of them would I do one of each or two of the blues or corals?

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely agree it depends on what you want to keep.
Ran a 29 Gallon Biocube with a Kessil and it was a hammer and torch breeding ground, while currently I run a 15 gallon Waterbox with an AI Prime 16 with no issues, can't really have acros in it, but have a torch and a hammer.

Personal opinion? Find used like Tang said, a lot of lights go up for sale on here. Primes go for about half of what you have listed here, so you could get one or two to try and then adjust if you don't like them.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey thanks for the suggestions! I didn’t even think of the blades. If I went with only 2 of them would I do one of each or two of the blues or corals?
I would try out one grow first. See where your par is at. Then add a glow. But if you like the visual spectrum of the grow go with that.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 141 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.0%

Back