"Best" low priced LEDs

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The big time issue is that to both grow and pop with LED, you need a more daylight spectrum during the day and then shifting to bluer for your viewing pleasure during the evenings (or whenever you want to view). Cheap black boxes are hard/impossible to program, so you have to do it by hand.

Blue-only for POP is not good at rendering color in the long term, so you just cannot leave them there. This is why something like a RB or Orphek can do well because you can turn it on during viewing time to look at the pop while the MH (or your cheaper LEDs) are more 14k (ish) the rest of the time. If you buy high end LEDs, then you can program them... but that is a different level of cost.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I strongly suggest that you keep those halides around for a while. Most people with long-term halide use struggles with higher quality lights like Orphek or EcoTech, and these will not be as easy as these.

If you just want some pop, then get a ReefBrite or Orphek strip.
+1 love the pop from my orphek UV bar. Not super pricey and great build quality

OP
OP
DesertReefT4r

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I strongly suggest that you keep those halides around for a while. Most people with long-term halide use struggles with higher quality lights like Orphek or EcoTech, and these will not be as easy as these.

If you just want some pop, then get a ReefBrite or Orphek strip.
I dont think I will get rid of the MH right away. I just really want to try out some LED lights. I do have a Reef Bar over my tank but it does not do much for pop with the MH on. Also PAR is pretty weak with my MH setup, most sps get about 200-230 PAR and I would like to be about 300.

OP
OP
DesertReefT4r

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option would be the Noopsyche K7 Pro II. Awesome led light that compete with the high end lights on quality but at a lower price.
www.noopsycheusa.com
These are high on the list but I think I would need 3 min to cover my tank well and that is pushing them out of my price range. I also thinks its pretty lame you have to buy the controller separate for these lights but not a deal breaker.

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are high on the list but I think I would need 3 min to cover my tank well and that is pushing them out of my price range. I also thinks its pretty lame you have to buy the controller separate for these lights but not a deal breaker.

One controller works on up to 16 lights. They also sell the lights separate from the brackets so if you want to build your own brackets don't need those. Right now I have 2 lights one controller and on my 75g upgrade I will buy 2 more light and make my own brackets.

OP
OP
DesertReefT4r

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One controller works on up to 16 lights. They also sell the lights separate from the brackets so if you want to build your own brackets don't need those. Right now I have 2 lights one controller and on my 75g upgrade I will buy 2 more light and make my own brackets.
Hows the coverage woth 2 lights on your 75g? Is it a 4ft standard 75g? Have you taken any PAR readings?

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hows the coverage woth 2 lights on your 75g? Is it a 4ft standard 75g? Have you taken any PAR readings?
I don’t have the 75g setup yet. It will be a in-wall tank that I m still working on. I would have to buy two more of the K7 for the 75. I have two K7 lights on my 40g right now and the PAR is 170 on the bottom and 390 on the top using a Seneye reader.

bigdrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only ever used one LED fixture and it is currently installed on my only reef tank. It’s the ViparSpectra 165 watt. I’ve had it running since February 2019 and it has been great. Granted, I have nothing to compare it to, but I have had great growth with zoas and leathers. I haven’t ever used a PAR meter to see what it’s putting off in certain areas, but again, I’ve been happy. The “programming” lacks a lot of features, but once I got it setup, it’s simple and runs on its own without issue.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with the chinese lights as illustrated here is balance. They have too many colors and typically not enough royal blue ( 450nm ) . 450nm is the main grunt of any reef light be it halide, LED or tube, and it's stupid to have any reef light that's not 60-70% 450nm dominant at max power level. It's like buying a 4k tv and it only supports 1080p sources.

My noopsyche has the same issue. Great looking light, but can only be run at 50% power unless you like like greenish 5600k.

I still think reefbreeders has the best value and color per dollar.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The problem with the chinese lights as illustrated here is balance. They have too many colors and typically not enough royal blue ( 450nm ) . 450nm is the main grunt of any reef light be it halide, LED or tube, and it's stupid to have any reef light that's not 60-70% 450nm dominant at max power level. It's like buying a 4k tv and it only supports 1080p sources.

My noopsyche has the same issue. Great looking light, but can only be run at 50% power unless you like like greenish 5600k.

I still think reefbreeders has the best value and color per dollar.

Maybe it's the DIYer in me, but that's the appeal of BBs to me. You can easily modify the layout. My test viparspectra, I plucked off a bunch of whites and replaced them with royal blues to where I have roughly 4:1 RB to white.

But I definitely understand if someone is not comfortable in doing that.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it's the DIYer in me, but that's the appeal of BBs to me. You can easily modify the layout. My test viparspectra, I plucked off a bunch of whites and replaced them with royal blues to where I have roughly 4:1 RB to white.

But I definitely understand if someone is not comfortable in doing that.

Newer ones are coming w/ SMD diodes.. Won't be easy anymore..

1565310619769-png.1157750

011957069c4bf73ac6fd84e9ff01799b.jpg

Last edited:

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Newer ones are coming w/ SMD diodes.. Won't be easy anymore..

1565310619769-png.1157750

011957069c4bf73ac6fd84e9ff01799b.jpg

I saw the Mars Aquas, are Vipars coming with SMDs now too? If so, I'll grab another fixture just in case before they swap them all.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw the Mars Aquas, are Vipars coming with SMDs now too?

Well, not really sure but it's unlikely that other Chinese lights aren't going to play follow the leader so to speak.
Best case they will tell you, worst case it's a shot in the dark what you get when you order..

That diode format is quite dated.. and I'm not sure that all these boards don't come from the same place..

Lists 3030smd's..

Let's just call it precedent.. ;)

History for the day:
914805746908541.jpg

Last edited:

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, not really sure but it's unlikely that other Chinese lights aren't going to play follow the leader so to speak.
Best case they will tell you, worst case it's a shot in the dark what you get when you order..

That diode format is quite dated.. and I'm not sure that all these boards don't come from the same place..

Lists 3030smd's..

Let's just call it precedent.. ;)

History for the day:
914805746908541.jpg

Yeah, it'll be a pretty big blow to the appeal of BBs as a viable alternative if they all go to SMD.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it'll be a pretty big blow to the appeal of BBs as a viable alternative if they all go to SMD.

Well it's just a package for the real chip so..maybe it won't completely die but it prob. will be relegated to strictly DIY..

It will be interesting to see what happens..

bigdrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t even consider modifying that ViparSpectra. I am running them at 55% “blue” and 13% “white,” which perhaps adjusts for some of the lack of 450nm that folks referenced on here. I lucked into that. I just thought my light didn’t look like the correct wavelength/color and so I adjusted it. Folks saying that they DIY-ed the bulbs to get the right color is awesome.

So, I know this isn’t the purpose of this particular forum, but for those that modified it, can you share how you did it?

Jay Norris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the best options for a 4ft 75g sps mixed reef? Something between a Mars Aqua BB and something nicer like a Photon V2. Considering replacing the 2x 250w MH setup up I currently have. I would like a bit more pop from my corals and things like a bit less heat and no bulb replacements would be nice. Not getting the PAR I would like from my current lighting as well.
Hi, the Photon V2 lights are the best lights on the market for their price, easy to program, very high quality LED Lights, and great customer service.

OP
OP
DesertReefT4r

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hum the Viparspectra lights are looking like a decent option, the pice is right. The Photon V2+ was high on my list durning the tank build but for the price to light my tank I would be spending close to the same price as AI lights so I ruled it out. The reviews on SB Reef lights really good and it seems they have all the right diodes for a reef tank out of the box, wifi control options ect I just really hate they way they look. Worse than a standard BB IMO.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back