Best macro for keeping pod populations up in a display tank?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I have a Red Sea Max Nano and have a plan for a fish that eats pods. No, not a mandarin but something much smaller. I have a small corner I want to try make into a “Macro forest”.
Also if any ones ever had Koumansetta hectori with macro, how did they behave? Was it eaten instantly? I also have an Escenius lineatus in there.

What are the best macros that stay relatively low down and don’t grow too tall? If need be and they grow too fast I always have a Foxface in my large tank that would happily eat any bits that get too large. Here’s the corner I’d like to fill with macros.
image.jpg

image.jpg

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only macros I know that stay a certain height are things like the mermaids brushes, or carpeting halimeda and other carpeting algaes. Good thing about macro is it's very easy to trim and hard to mess up. Don't think those would grow well on the sand like that. Best way to get more pods? Feed phyto...

Also you can get captive bred rainfordis that eat prepared. Much higher chance of success.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only macros I know that stay a certain height are things like the mermaids brushes, or carpeting halimeda and other carpeting algaes. Good thing about macro is it's very easy to trim and hard to mess up. Don't think those would grow well on the sand like that. Best way to get more pods? Feed phyto...

Also you can get captive bred rainfordis that eat prepared. Much higher chance of success.
Yeah, I already have the Hectors and have had him for a few months now. I realise that CB rainfordi are better suited but I personally find them bland compared to the nice neon gold lines seen on the Hectoris. I can always get some smaller rock (Crushed up LR basically) for the macro to attach onto if need be. Another thing id love to try if it doesn’t harm either of them is growing coral under the macro and in between it. Again I will probably grab some smaller rocks to put there and attempt this. I’ve been wanting this fish for two years and would do anything to keep it thriving in a 20g tank.

BaghdadBean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I grew ulva and ogo, I had the best pod populations of all time. I had to grow my ulva separately, because the pods in my refugium would swarm it and decimate it at night when I put it in. That stuff is like green gold to anything that loves munching macro. They also really loved the ogo, and my mandarin used to constantly hunt the ogo corner.

7F77CF8B-8783-47A8-92B4-64B31A6ED293.jpeg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 121 81.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back