Best Nano light for a good price?

Ryan Rioux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to upgrade my lighting on small 20long . Looking to see what people's opinions are on different lights ? Alsooo have a question on option for feeding besides pellets and frozen mysis. What are some other options . Also besides brine as well. Any input appreciated !!!
Lost2 clowns to Brooklynella/ick about 6 weeks ago, just added a new pair to a quarantine !!

Sm51498

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with a high quality frozen mix. I feed lrs reef frenzy and have good results.

For your light, I'm sure there are good led options out there but 24 inches is a difficult length to light up. I think many would argue a single Kessel a80 would work but I think the coverage would be uneven. 2 of them would be brilliant though.

NickNiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the two Kessil a80. You would want to go the Tuna Blue route if you did this. Also, sort of overkill, but they have the AI Prime HD which is close to the price of two a80, but are so much more customizable. You can use the smartphone app to adjust the brightness/intensity of each color, simulate thunder storms (cool gimmick), etc...

As for fish food, check out Marine Cuisine. Loaded with a variety of nutritious stuff, including Mysis and krill, as well as spirulina...

http://www.sfbb.com/Marine-Cuisine™_17.php

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
Ryan Rioux

Ryan Rioux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with a high quality frozen mix. I feed lrs reef frenzy and have good results.

For your light, I'm sure there are good led options out there but 24 inches is a difficult length to light up. I think many would argue a single Kessel a80 would work but I think the coverage would be uneven. 2 of them would be brilliant though.
I've had 2 Kessils on a large tank. They're pretty nice !

OP
OP
Ryan Rioux

Ryan Rioux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Where do you buy lrs reef frenzy? I've lost like 4 clowns in the past year . I've made sure tanks were cycled with pristine water , had them die in QT and in DT. Only consistent thing has been same vitamins , and same food!!!! Had me thinking does the food have something to do with them getting internal parasites or something .

Sm51498

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you buy lrs reef frenzy? I've lost like 4 clowns in the past year . I've made sure tanks were cycled with pristine water , had them die in QT and in DT. Only consistent thing has been same vitamins , and same food!!!! Had me thinking does the food have something to do with them getting internal parasites or something .

Clowns are normally pretty bullet proof. That is disturbing. Did they come from the same source?

I get lrs from a local aquaculture facility here but plenty of good fish stores carry it. There are a number of high quality frozen foods and if you are interested, you can make your own too. I wouldn't be overly brand focused lrs is good but so is rods and a few others.

OP
OP
Ryan Rioux

Ryan Rioux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up buying this nemo ligjt from marine Depot!!! Couldn't resist . Needed an ATO system and saw this ligjt and for $136 and the features it has . Well worth the look! Especially since I wanna start adding some easy corals soon!

OP
OP
Ryan Rioux

Ryan Rioux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are normally pretty bullet proof. That is disturbing. Did they come from the same source?

I get lrs from a local aquaculture facility here but plenty of good fish stores carry it. There are a number of high quality frozen foods and if you are interested, you can make your own too. I wouldn't be overly brand focused lrs is good but so is rods and a few others.
Sorry for such a delay , this post got mixed up with others ! But I have lost 4 clowns , 2 were from one source , and the others from another ! I have a pair at the moment I. Quarantine that are just regular occelaris! But they seem to being doing excellent eating well. This time I bought them from a source I trust that I have gotten some healthy fish from before ! His fish always seem to be healthier knock on wood! My regular display tank has been pretty empty for almost 3 months now . Had 2 clowns die of either brooklynella or Ich. Just left all the inverts in there and I feed them here and there . Tanks loadddddded with coralline !

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AI Hydra 52 HD. Yes, it is overkill but LEDs are adjustable. To me, the Hydra 52 HD is top knotch and have the best deep blue blend. (Others may disagree but that is fine). I've had all of the AI fixtures, Radion fixtures except the freshwater, Kessils except the new A80, and various other LED fixtures. Just search me and you will see. Plus you can control it via app instead having to buy another device for that. Good luck and happy reefing!

Sm51498

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lost 4 clowns , 2 were from one source , and the others from another ! I have a pair at the moment I. Quarantine that are just regular occelaris! But they seem to being doing excellent eating well. This time I bought them from a source I trust that I have gotten some healthy fish from before ! His fish always seem to be healthier knock on wood! My regular display tank has been pretty empty for almost 3 months now . Had 2 clowns die of either brooklynella or Ich.

Bad luck on the clowns! Hopefully these new ones live for you. Clowns are normally about the toughest fish in a tank.

OP
OP
Ryan Rioux

Ryan Rioux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AI Hydra 52 HD. Yes, it is overkill but LEDs are adjustable. To me, the Hydra 52 HD is top knotch and have the best deep blue blend. (Others may disagree but that is fine). I've had all of the AI fixtures, Radion fixtures except the freshwater, Kessils except the new A80, and various other LED fixtures. Just search me and you will see. Plus you can control it via app instead having to buy another device for that. Good luck and happy reefing!
It does seem like a nice ligjt . I've had the kessils . Those were pretty nice too. I just wouldn't spent that kind of money again on a 20 long tank! If I go bigger again , it will be a Red Sea reefer series and then yes will put extremely high quality lighting

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does seem like a nice ligjt . I've had the kessils . Those were pretty nice too. I just wouldn't spent that kind of money again on a 20 long tank! If I go bigger again , it will be a Red Sea reefer series and then yes will put extremely high quality lighting
The light is always transferable to larger systems. So, if you decide to shut that tank down and go bigger, you can just use the same light instead of having to spend more cash on a new light.

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally oversize LEDs and DC return pumps because I can always scale them down to use on smaller systems and if I decide I no longer want them later, I have a larger market to resale it to compared to just the smaller tank market.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back