Best Nitrate test kit suggestions?

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
been using salifert to test but since my nitrates are staying the in the 25+ range- I was wondering if there is a more accurate test kit? After 10- salifert increases by increments of 15, 25, and 50 and that makes it hard to tweak additives. Thanks!

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to NYOS nitrate and the calcium and magnesium are also very good

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Api is quick and easy. Hate to say it but that gets the job done for me 95% of the time. The easier the test the more likely I am to perform it.

I keep a red sea nitrate kit on hand too in case I need to verify and be more accurate.

Salifert for everything else though, love their test kits but maybe I am biased because I was given a bunch of them by another reefer when I bought some coral frags. If I was going to buy one today it would probably be salifert.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When BRS did a vid on this, the top 2 were Nyos and Salifert, Randy preferred the Salifert and Ryan preferred the Nyos saying the yellow was easier to read than the pink of the salifert, Randy then sort of backdown from his choice and went with Ryan.
My opinion, the Salifert is a lot cheaper than the Nyos and does a good job, the benefit of the Nyos is it gets you to fill a 2nd test tube up to use to compare the colour against, which really helps when judging the colour, I can’t see why you can’t do that with the Salifert too, place the tube with just tank water on top of each colour and place the test tube with the sample being tested on the white card next to the other tube, when they match, that’s the result.

Botton line, if you have a bit extra money buy the Nyos, if you have better things to spend your money on get the Salifert.

Last edited:

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's dependent on your own eyes. I have trouble telling the pinks apart - the yellows are easier. I haven't tried the Red sea kit for nitrates but in general, I prefer the Salifert over Red Sea.

With API, I could test twice in a row and get 40 once and 100+ the next. Not stable at all IME.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add, as I can’t edit my post now, I just tried the Salifert nitrate test, using 2 tubes, one with just tank water and the other with the reagents in, and it works a treat, just like the Nyos method, the result is a lot clearer to judge.

Reef - Tripp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming soon

Screenshot_20200716-130212.jpg

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salifert for me as well. I've been using them for 30+ years and can't see a reason to stop now. Not that I've tested for nitrates in 10 or 15 years:p

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the Red Sea Pro. It works pretty well for me. Salifert is pretty similar and here you also deal with shades of pink. All of the nitrate tests that I have seen use shades of color to make a determination. My fish sitter has a real problem with nitrate tests..... fortunately there is a fair amount of wiggle room in nitrate.

Hopefully, the Hanna Nitrate that is supposed to be hitting the market soon will be more definitive.

For most people, Salifert is probably just fine. As I said, nitrate is more about range and as long as you are sort of near it, you will be OK.

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that an old screenshot from SaltwaterAquarium.com? If so, that has since been removed. Hanna themselves have been tight lipped about the actual range.

Edit: Not saying that it's inaccurate, as I've seem the same number elsewhere, just that Hanna won't say what the actual range is yet.

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that an old screenshot from SaltwaterAquarium.com? If so, that has since been removed. Hanna themselves have been tight lipped about the actual range.

Edit: Not saying that it's inaccurate, as I've seem the same number elsewhere, just that Hanna won't say what the actual range is yet.
Hanna has told someone (I think via FB) that they hadn't finalized hte range yet. For many/most, a max of 5 is not helpful.

OP
OP
L

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay thanks all. I have the salifert that I will keep on hand but ordered the nyos to try. I am hoping Hanna makes a Nitrate checker that has a much wider range. 0-5 is helpful, but not great for most refers- just my opinion.

Back