Best opinion

Rayreef710

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just have a question it the more experience reefers..so I bought a Hanna Marine alk tester love it. But my question is which ones would u get next if u had the money for 2 more..there a little expensive so only can buy one or two at a time..my other tests kit are api drops an they just suck counting every drop. And what parameters do you test daily weekly and monthly

shakacuz

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Just have a question it the more experience reefers..so I bought a Hanna Marine alk tester love it. But my question is which ones would u get next if u had the money for 2 more..there a little expensive so only can buy one or two at a time..my other tests kit are api drops an they just suck counting every drop. And what parameters do you test daily weekly and monthly
hanna ALK, HR nitrate, and ULR phosphorus(or phosphate)
salifert CAL, aqua forest MAG
tropic marine hydrometer

this is probably the most solid lineup for test kits.

OP
OP
Rayreef710

Rayreef710

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hanna ALK, HR nitrate, and ULR phosphorus(or phosphate)
salifert CAL, aqua forest MAG
tropic marine hydrometer

this is probably the most solid lineup for test kits.
Thanks for the advice will definitely look into it just try a piece it together and not working with a big budget lol

OP
OP
Rayreef710

Rayreef710

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so what does everybody test daily weekly and monthly cuz I seen people to have certain things at certain times I'm still testing everything like every 3 or 4 days just make sure everything's okay am I overkilling it testing everything lol

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
was testing daily if not twice a day for about 3-4 weeks to get the doser dialed in. Now that i think it is twice a week for another 2 weeks then weekly to check trends. hanna for phos and alk sali for the rest...its was costing me a fortune but hopefully worth it..

OP
OP
Rayreef710

Rayreef710

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test Alk regularly. Phos and Nitrate weekly. Calcium weekly. Mag every couple of weeks.
Appreciate the info..just was tryin see what everyone else doin bec I fill like I was over doin it lol

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the Hanna hr nitrate checker. It is way easier than trying to see subtle color differences of the other kits.

Depending on what kind and what your coral load is will dictate how often to test. A newer tank with frags can be maintained with water changes and weekly testing. A fully stocked sps tank needs to be dosed and tested multiple times daily, in my experience.

I have a Trident that measures Alk, Ca, and Mg a couple times a day on a fully stocked sps tank. I test nitrate with the Hanna once a week.

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Appreciate the info..just was tryin see what everyone else doin bec I fill like I was over doin it lol

You can never over test. Naturally you'll want to test for things that fluctuate the most like ALK. Calcium, then Mag .... in that order is from the most likely to fluctuate to the least.

Testing regime for me:

ALK - Daily
Calicum - every 3 days
Mag - weekly

When dialing in dosers, I test all 3 daily.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so what does everybody test daily weekly and monthly cuz I seen people to have certain things at certain times I'm still testing everything like every 3 or 4 days just make sure everything's okay am I overkilling it testing everything lol
Apex test ca/alk/mg. I check using hanna once in a while and calibrate apex to my test results

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back