Best option for flexible pvc.

  • Thread starter Thread starter cba191
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
I like silicone tubing for return pumps. Its easy to work with, doesn't kink easily and I think it helps with noise reduction/ vibrations vs vinyl. As far as the reefmat i was able to use the corrugated hose provided but I have a RS sump.
 
I like silicone tubing for return pumps. Its easy to work with, doesn't kink easily and I think it helps with noise reduction/ vibrations vs vinyl. As far as the reefmat i was able to use the corrugated hose provided but I have a RS sump.
how do you connect it to the PVC?
 
how do you connect it to the PVC?
Barbed adapter fittings!

I usually get barbed reducing adapters and use one size up on the tubing/barbs vs. the pipe!

IMG_0824.jpeg


Pictured is 1” silicone tubing with a specifically sized ratcheting hose clamp to account for the silicone tube wall thickness…

This goes onto a barbed reducing adapter fitting which is 1” barbed X 3/4” MNPT, then a FNPT X Socket adapter to attach it to the pump’s 3/4” socket outlet!

(I recommend oversizing tubing/barbed fittings specifically because barbed fittings are highly restrictive… — a 1” barbed fitting has roughly the same inside diameter as 3/4” pipe!)
 
Barbed adapter fittings!

I usually get barbed reducing adapters and use one size up on the tubing/barbs vs. the pipe!

IMG_0824.jpeg


Pictured is 1” silicone tubing with a specifically sized ratcheting hose clamp to account for the silicone tube wall thickness…

This goes onto a barbed reducing adapter fitting which is 1” barbed X 3/4” MNPT, then a FNPT X Socket adapter to attach it to the pump’s 3/4” socket outlet!

(I recommend oversizing tubing/barbed fittings specifically because barbed fittings are highly restrictive… — a 1” barbed fitting has roughly the same inside diameter as 3/4” pipe!)
so, since I'm running 2 3/4" returns, go with 1" silicone and the adaptor that fits 3/4" pvc?
 
So I've learned not all flex PVC is the same. A lot, especially the stuff you might find at Home Depot is almost just as rigid as hard PVC, doesn't give much.

The softest most pliable flex PVC I've used is called Tektube. By far the most forgiving and easy to work with. Pretty easy to get on Amazon I believe.

They say regular PVC cement will bond it and I think in most cases it's true, but weld on makes a product that is specifically for flex PVC.

If you're in a little bit more of a pressure situation, you might want look into that.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 12 52.2%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 30.4%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new