Best option for fuge light

  • Thread starter Thread starter turbo2oh
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

turbo2oh

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 1, 2017
Messages
179
Reaction score
56
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just getting ready to start up a refugium in my Innovative Marine RFS-39 sump. The fuge area is about 16 by 12 with roughly 8 inches of water flowing through it. Goal is to get some good chaeto growth going for nutrient export.

I’m looking at a few different light options and trying to figure out which one makes the most sense for this size space:
• AI Prime 16 Fuge
• Kessil H160 Tuna Flora
• Kessil H80 Tuna Flora
• Tunze Eco Chic 8831

Any suggestions?
 
I always used cheap grow lights from homedepot or the big A . Chaeto grew great under them. I did find it poor at nutrient reduction but it was great place for little critters to grow without predation.
EDIT: mine was in a heavily populated heavily fed 180g which may be why it did poorly as far as reducing nutrients.
 
I’m just getting ready to start up a refugium in my Innovative Marine RFS-39 sump. The fuge area is about 16 by 12 with roughly 8 inches of water flowing through it. Goal is to get some good chaeto growth going for nutrient export.

I’m looking at a few different light options and trying to figure out which one makes the most sense for this size space:
• AI Prime 16 Fuge
• Kessil H160 Tuna Flora
• Kessil H80 Tuna Flora
• Tunze Eco Chic 8831

Any suggestions?
Inexpensive pink grow lights with high par worked best when I ran a fuge. I also had it full of rock and the chaeto on top to maximize par.
 
Unless you really like the look or mounting options, you don't need expensive aquarium lights to grow algae. I use the Acke lights that someone linked above and they do a great job in my AIO tank. I've reduced the refugium photoperiod because my nutrients were undetectable. For a larger sump I like the look of this Sansi light. It has a massive heat sink, 100w output, dimmer, and the price can't be beat.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 2.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new