Best Option for toxic polys?

specialk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all

So ridding my tank of 3 nasty things I am ABSOLUTELY DONE WITH.

* Majanos
* Purple clove polyps
* Nuclear Green Palys

PREFACE: for the sake of keeping this thread on track, I respect everyones opinion, but I have tried virtually EVERYTHING to get of these things I have mentioned. From filefish, apitasia x, etc etc etc yada yada yada. Nothing has worked.

But I did get a 3 watt laser for zapping majanos and it is on its way and will be here in just a few days. THAT I know will kill the majanos and really rid my tank of a vast majority of them (as I have a BAD BAD outbreak of them) as well as totally fry the purple polyps. (there is another thread I started for lasers as well, so please questions on that are a different thread :) )

BUT... those toxic palys.

My options are:

1. simply play it safe and yank the rocks that are on there, chip away the sps that I want and put it onto new live rock I can get.

or:

2. Zap 3 or 4 at a time every other day and really go slow with them and just kill them that way.

And oh yah, I have a 6ft long, 125 gallon tank with another 25 gallons in the sump.

Thanks all ... Look forward to hearing from those who have dealt with these. and by all means, I have no problem simply yanking the rock and not risk utter disaster, but I am wondering if I can just go ridiculously slow and kill them one by one, as getting into my tank and yanking those rocks is going to be a major pickle task (all be it better then a system crash though)

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all

So ridding my tank of 3 nasty things I am ABSOLUTELY DONE WITH.

* Majanos
* Purple clove polyps
* Nuclear Green Palys

PREFACE: for the sake of keeping this thread on track, I respect everyones opinion, but I have tried virtually EVERYTHING to get of these things I have mentioned. From filefish, apitasia x, etc etc etc yada yada yada. Nothing has worked.

But I did get a 3 watt laser for zapping majanos and it is on its way and will be here in just a few days. THAT I know will kill the majanos and really rid my tank of a vast majority of them (as I have a BAD BAD outbreak of them) as well as totally fry the purple polyps. (there is another thread I started for lasers as well, so please questions on that are a different thread :) )

BUT... those toxic palys.

My options are:

1. simply play it safe and yank the rocks that are on there, chip away the sps that I want and put it onto new live rock I can get.

or:

2. Zap 3 or 4 at a time every other day and really go slow with them and just kill them that way.

And oh yah, I have a 6ft long, 125 gallon tank with another 25 gallons in the sump.

Thanks all ... Look forward to hearing from those who have dealt with these. and by all means, I have no problem simply yanking the rock and not risk utter disaster, but I am wondering if I can just go ridiculously slow and kill them one by one, as getting into my tank and yanking those rocks is going to be a major pickle task (all be it better then a system crash though)
I would go for option 1. Best to just take the whole rock out and relocate your SPS. Make sure to wear gloves, goggles, and keep your mouth closed just incase :)

Pongo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have a bucket of tank water ready.
Transfer the rock into the bucket and do all the work getting the SPS off under water.
Your biggest risk with Palys is if they squirt and the toxin becomes airborne.
PPE is a must. Don't touch your face. Wash thoroughly afterwards.

Then nuke the rock - the sun works well.

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with #1. It is a disruption to your tank and it seems like a lot to do. But, to get rid of them... I would definitely pull your SPS off the rock and remove the rock with the offending corals. Use gloves, glasses and a mask as that crap is nasty...and done run the risk. Then nuke the rock. I would put what you can back together in the tank... even if temporarily and let the rock cook....and dry out completely. If it were me... I would pitch it and get some new rock....

Good luck and be safe. That crap is nasty.

OP
OP
specialk

specialk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heard and Heard!

I had no idea that stuff was so toxic and nasty. Guess I just never paid attention. I am EXTREMELY glad I found out .. that would have been an epic disaster

God I hate those things

OP
OP
specialk

specialk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with #1. It is a disruption to your tank and it seems like a lot to do. But, to get rid of them... I would definitely pull your SPS off the rock and remove the rock with the offending corals. Use gloves, glasses and a mask as that **** is nasty...and done run the risk. Then nuke the rock. I would put what you can back together in the tank... even if temporarily and let the rock cook....and dry out completely. If it were me... I would pitch it and get some new rock....

Good luck and be safe. That **** is nasty.
Yah and it stinks because it is some BIG pieces of live rock.

So yah gonna cook it, get it all off, the re-cure the rock so I can use it again

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By "cook" I'm sure you mean some process that does not involve heat and boiling water. ;)
This.
There was an article about a guy who boiled some rocks not knowing there were palys/zoas on it, and they released the toxin into his home. And he ended up in the hospital.

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got rid of a ton of palys that were covering one of our favorite rocks. We took the rock out, placed it in a tub of water, and scraped of the palys with an exacto knife. Rinse the rock, scrub with toothbrush, rinse and repeat a couple times, then place back in the tank. Wear gloves, eye protection, and a breathing mask. Do it outside. You'll no doubt have missed a little bit of tissue and some will try to regrow. As you see them start to appear, just cover each one with a bit of epoxy, and eventually you'll be rid of them. We had about 10 or so popup during the few months after removing them, but now they are completely gone.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a large enough can/bucket, the safest way to neutralize palys is to bleach the rocks 1 part (or more) bleach to 9 part water.

Palyzoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with what everyone has said, just make sure to use proper ppe! Just curious, do you have any pictures?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
As someone who just had to do a complete tear down of my 233, I would go with option 1.
Get the offending pest out of the tank and be done with them.

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By "cook" I'm sure you mean some process that does not involve heat and boiling water. ;)

YES! I am sorry... it was a figure of speech. Never....ever cook the rock in boiling water. I should be more careful in the statement. My apologies.

I have placed rock in a bucket and covered it in water and bleach... I have on other occasions used an water and acid... to get rid of this stuff. You should always put it outside where kids and animals can't come in contact with it... I then just let it sit.. i.e. "cook" until I was satisfied. I then rinse it and then set it out in the sun for a couple of weeks.

Cnidoblast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleach will break apart palytoxin - soak the bad rocks in bleach

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the answer:
"1. simply play it safe and yank the rocks that are on there, chip away the sps that I want and put it onto new live rock I can get."

Get the rock out of the tank, remove the corals and give the rock to your LFS.
Replace that rock with a new one and put the corals back on the new rock.
Very simple!
Grandis.

Captmcfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the answer:
"1. simply play it safe and yank the rocks that are on there, chip away the sps that I want and put it onto new live rock I can get."

Get the rock out of the tank, remove the corals and give the rock to your LFS.
Replace that rock with a new one and put the corals back on the new rock.
Very simple!
Grandis.

Then some other poor reefer can deal with them ..

hoppy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this article a little while ago in another thread but it’s applicable here also. Stuff can be DANGEROUS

Man warns pet owners after fish tank releases 'second deadliest' poison, hospitalizes 10 - Fox Newshttps://apple.news/A_k09UuO1TJmHiH-43MVHtg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.4%
Back