Best Overflow out there?

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s looking like my new tank will be drilled for an overflow rather than have it Reef Ready. With that being said, what are my options for a 120g? I’ve never used one of these so my knowledge isn’t that great on them. Any insight would be great! Thanks!

Even Further

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Modular Marine would be my vote. I would get the longer internal box like a 30" to 36" with a smaller external box. The longer the weir, the better.

On my set up, I used silicone to attach an acrylic Modular Marine internal box, then used silicone to attach an outer made from glass. I did it since it was a cheap route, and no bulkhead gasket. It is silent too.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank I plan on getting is 48x24 so do you think I’d be better off with the 24” or 35” overflow?
Both are too big, or more than enough, depending on how you look at it

Have a 16” reef synergy, first generation, from when they first came out, on my 220 for over 3 years with zero issues

October Sky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Modular Marine would be my vote. I would get the longer internal box like a 30" to 36" with a smaller external box. The longer the weir, the better.

On my set up, I used silicone to attach an acrylic Modular Marine internal box, then used silicone to attach an outer made from glass. I did it since it was a cheap route, and no bulkhead gasket. It is silent too.
I have a Modular Marine with the bulkheads, why don't you want them? Is there an inherent problem?

Seriously curious.

Even Further

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that I'm aware of. But bulkheads can crack, and gaskets can leak.

I did it since it was a cheap route. The outer box is pretty much integral to the tank now, since it is glass on glass, (glass I got for free). No bulkhead is better IMO, but both ways certainly work. I do like Modular Marines design with the removable internal box. I would use one.

October Sky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that I'm aware of. But bulkheads can crack, and gaskets can leak.

I did it since it was a cheap route. The outer box is pretty much integral to the tank now, since it is glass on glass, (glass I got for free). No bulkhead is better IMO, but both ways certainly work. I do like Modular Marines design with the removable internal box. I would use one.
Yeah, the internal removable box is great. Simply pops right off.

I had mine custom made with 3 1" drains, stock at my size was 3/4", they did it an charged nothing extra.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the synergy's A little tricky to setup "but" they can handle a lot of water flow, run very quiet & about as fail safe as they come .

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EMS or Modular Marine would get my vote.

Last edited:

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exotic marine systems is my recommendation.

They made me an overflow that works perfectly to replace my synergy, which was terrible.

enthejungle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another vote for Modular Marine. Just received my 60X24X20 for Crystal Dynamics and I’ll be installing Modular Marines 36 inch 3600 gph overflow box. Closest I could get to a coast to coast setup without footing that bill. Build thread coming!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back